PDA

View Full Version : How to convert mpeg to lower rate?

bluesrpink
2008-08-25, 01:15 AM
I have two VHS tapes that I had a friend record on his hard drive, one Nirvana Live in Europe is over 6 gigs and Thomas Dolby Live Wireless is over 10 gigs. Is there a program out there that will lower the rate so I can fit them on a normal DVD or worse case (for the Dolby) a DL DVD?

I can't seem to find any good info on google and thought one of you guys would possible know. Thank you!

tjmack
2008-08-25, 03:24 AM
DVD Shrink (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm) - if you've already produced a DVD layout. Free as the bird. Will recompress any DVD file set without a degree in mathematics to single layer (or any size) DVD that you require.

TMPGEnc DVD Author - not free, but 'free' (if you get my meaning). It will import most video formats including MPEG and MPEG2 and then output them in any size DVD layout. Has basic DVD menu templates.

DVD Lab Pro - again not free, but 'free' in the right places. Will give you full control over DVD layout including menus, but has a much steeper learning curve. Will import MPEG files.

I might use one of the authoring tools first, output the DVD layout with no size limit then recompress the output with DVD Shrink as its more accurate at calculating compression rates and avoids over-compression,

T.

theembryo
2008-08-25, 07:20 AM
Good tools, good advice, TJ......Nice avatar as well.... Welcome back!!

bluesrpink
2008-08-25, 01:14 PM
DVD Shrink (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm) - if you've already produced a DVD layout. Free as the bird. Will recompress any DVD file set without a degree in mathematics to single layer (or any size) DVD that you require.

TMPGEnc DVD Author - not free, but 'free' (if you get my meaning). It will import most video formats including MPEG and MPEG2 and then output them in any size DVD layout. Has basic DVD menu templates.

DVD Lab Pro - again not free, but 'free' in the right places. Will give you full control over DVD layout including menus, but has a much steeper learning curve. Will import MPEG files.

I might use one of the authoring tools first, output the DVD layout with no size limit then recompress the output with DVD Shrink as its more accurate at calculating compression rates and avoids over-compression,

T.

Very helpful, thank you. I'll start my search! :)