PDA

View Full Version : A little technical help

Verdi999
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
I was just wondering since my HDD is just about full.

If I converted FLAC or SHN to wav (44100khz, 16-bit Stereo) and burnt it to a CD, then using EAC ripped it back onto my PC would that compromise the quality?

If so I guess I'll have to just burn FLAC CDs as well as wav ones.

Thanks

Verdi

moonwall
10-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I was just wondering since my HDD is just about full.

If I converted FLAC or SHN to wav (44100khz, 16-bit Stereo) and burnt it to a CD, then using EAC ripped it back onto my PC would that compromise the quality?

If so I guess I'll have to just burn FLAC CDs as well as wav ones.

Thanks

Verdi

No, it will not compromise the quality. Decode Flac or Shn to Wav and then burn and you will get a playable CD, which can be ripped back to PC using EAC without any quality loss.
But if you want to keep the files as you downloaded them and be able to share them later, you should burn them as backups, Data CD (not playable) or Data DVD.

Verdi999
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
No, it will not compromise the quality. Decode Flac or Shn to Wav and then burn and you will get a playable CD, which can be ripped back to PC using EAC without any quality loss.
But if you want to keep the files as you downloaded them and be able to share them later, you should burn them as backups, Data CD (not playable) or Data DVD.

Thanks, thats handy isn't it?!

I've got a practically limitless supply of CDs so I think I will burn data ones as well :)

Verdi

oldpink
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
FWIW, when you decode a FLAC to WAV, then burn as an audio CD, that is completely identical for the audio CD in terms of quality, since any CD burner frontend that burns FLAC files without requiring manual decoding first simply does the decoding before burning on the fly transparently.

radiowaves
10-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Nero burns FLAC and Shn, with the right plugins.

http://www.bitburners.com/nero-audio-plugins/

fluxz
10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Just a small nit here.

FLAC -> CD -> FLAC won't cause any problems (ignoring damage to the media of course).
But, burning and ripping isn't as technically straightforward as copying a file. Every CD drive will start reading from an audio CD in a slightly offset location. This offset is very small (typically no more than a few hundred audio samples, so on the order of very small fractions of a second), but if performed several times iteratively you could eventually shift the audio enough that a noticeable amount of audio is actually lost.

This is why EAC includes support for read and write offset correction.

Again, the offset amount is very small and unless this process is repeated often (you'd probably have to do this several hundred times), you won't notice a thing.

andy_672
10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Don't forget you can't burn items at 48khz straight to CD without loss of quality because CD is at 44Khz - anything at 48 needs to burned to DVD & played in a DVD player/PC if you want to preserve the original quality although you would be hard pushed to actualy hear the difference