PDA

View Full Version : DVD-Audio

DaFloyd
2008-10-23, 11:07 PM
Does anybody here have a DVD-Audio player they could reccomend?? I have a few DVD-Audio discs that are universal, meaning they also have a DTS version in the Video TS folder, but they have the MLP (Meridian Lossless Packet) version in the Audio TS folder.
I now have a Panasonic DVD-S52 that does play the DVD-Audio folder, but my receiver does not have a HDMI connection, so I have to listen to the best sounding, lossless 5.1 sound down-sampled to 2 channel stereo. Pretty much un-acceptable, I need another player.
I live in the US, would like to purchase another DVD-Audio player that has 6 different outputs (L,R,Cntr,SL,SR & LFE), not just the HDMI output. My receiver has the ability for the 6 inputs. Needs to play NTSC, PAL would be a plus but not necessary. Dont really care about Blu-Ray, am willing to spend up to $200, half of that would be even better.
Can someone point me to a brand and model number, and possibly where the got it???? Thanks a lot guys.......( and gals)

oldpink
2008-10-25, 12:22 AM
I can highly recommend this one, as it not only supports DVD-A, but also SACD, which would allow you to enjoy the SACD remaster of Dark Side.
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=022DV1700B&search=yamaha+sacd

However, it sounds to me as if you need to use the analog component audio output directly into your receiver's analog inputs.
I do that right now, and I am able to listen to my DVD-A's and SACD's in all the glory of 5.1 sound.
Alternately, you could get a receiver that accepts HDMI input directly.
You probably do not need to replace the player at all.

tjmack
2008-10-25, 07:09 AM
You know what to order.

DaFloyd
2008-10-25, 12:42 PM
However, it sounds to me as if you need to use the analog component audio output directly into your receiver's analog inputs.
I do that right now, and I am able to listen to my DVD-A's and SACD's in all the glory of 5.1 sound.
Alternately, you could get a receiver that accepts HDMI input directly.
You probably do not need to replace the player at all.

That is my problem, I do not have the 6 analog outputs on my DVD player, I do have the ability on my receiver with 6 inputs. And you are correct, I do not need to replace the player, but to "properly" play and listen to DVD-A's I have to replace either the player or the receiver, and to purchase a new DVD-A player with 6 outputs will (hopefully) be less expensive than purchasing a new receiver with full support of HDMI, not just a pass-thru.
Thanks for the link to the Yamaha, looks nice.