PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd - The Return of the Sons of Nothing - 1971

highhopes58
2006-07-07, 05:52 PM
Hi All,

Recently I bought a couple of new vinyls, amongst which this album "Return of the Sons of Nothing", released by DSOTC (Dark Side Of The Cow). Apparently, it is an re-release from another album with the same name, as the record includes a lot of pops and clicks. I have attached the album info and the most likely original release below.

The quality of this audience recording of the live concert is reasonable but due to the distance between the recorder and the stage some details are lost in the reverb.

The scans of the album cover are included for the vinyl-lovers.

Enjoy,
HighHopes58

Information:
=========

Pink Floyd: The Return Of The Sons Of Nothing
Format: LP
Catalog: DSOTC #PF125-12
Matrix: <no info>
Misc.: Stereo
Produced: Dark Side Of The Cow
Date: <no info>
Cover (scans included):
Front: Black with a black&red photo of the band and PINK FLOYD and THE RETURN OF THE SONS OF NOTHING in large white letters
Back: Black with black & red photo of Pink Floyd
Sources: Live - 16 November 1971, Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C., USA.

Tracks:
Side One:
1. One Of These Days
2. Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Side Two:
2. Looking Through The Knotholes In Granny's Wooden Leg (is actually a version of Echoes)

Band:
Roger Waters*
Rick Wright*
Nick Mason*
David Gilmour*

Xref: <no info>
Quality: Average -BD (#13)
Comments: this LP sounds like a re-recording of the orginal vinyl (see note below), including a lot of clicks and pops.

note: Original data in data base:
===========================

Pink Floyd: The Return Of The Sons Of Nothing
Format: LP
Catalog: <no info>
Matrix: 003
Misc.: Stereo
Produced:
Date: 721115
Cover: Front: PINK FLOYD in large letters Back: b/w photo of Pink Floyd
Sources: 15nov72 Boblingen Festhalle, Boblingen, Germany 15th November 1972.

Tracks:
Side One:
1. One Of These Days
2. Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Side Two:
2. Echoes (Looking Through The Knotholes In Granny's Wooden Leg)

Band:
Roger Waters*
Rick Wright*
Nick Mason*
David Gilmour*

Xref: <no info>
Quality: Average -BD (#13)
Comments: <no info>
(Last update: 950101)
source: http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-lp/return_of_the_sons_of_nothing.lp.html

pinkrudy
2006-07-08, 09:13 AM
thanks!

now i dont have to buy it :-D

lordtomaso
2006-07-11, 02:35 PM
That's actually one of the best version of Echoes that I ever heard. One of my favourite. Already have it, so I won't redownload it for now :)

seth01
2006-07-11, 06:08 PM
Thank you very much for this!

I'm struggling to figure out what the date is for this. :confused: At www.pf-db.com, both those dates have a boot named "Return of the Sons of Nothing" and during both those shows they played the three songs in question. During the German show, the songs are in the order that they are presented here but of course that means nothing.

Have you made any headway into knowing what is the actual date for this show? Is it the German show or the U.S. show? Either way it's incomplete. :(

I greatly appreciate any clarification you can offer.

Thanks tons, HH58.

Seth.

lordtomaso
2006-07-11, 06:35 PM
During the german show, Roger announce Echoes :
"This is called ... Looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg"
I don't know if he does that kind of stuff during the US show.

highhopes58
2006-07-11, 11:23 PM
I did some research on Google about this album, but couldn't find anything conclusive. The best source is still www.pf_roio.de, but there a slightly different version is given.

This torrent is from the vinyl "Return Of The Sons Of Nothing" produced by Dark Side Of The Cow (see info-file in the torrent and in the post). The cover (inlcuded in the torrent) mentioned that the source is the live concert Pink Floyd gave at the Lisner Auditorium, Washington DC, USA on Noevmber 16th, 1971. It is for sure not the complete concert given the pause between the two tracks on side one of this album. Also a single-LP album on vinyl wouldn't be able to contain the whole concert(*). It seems to be just an excerpt of the highlights of this concert. Despite the rather mediocre sound quality the tracks are gems, especially "Echoes".

This album is definitely a second (or higher) generation and a recording of an earlier generation vinyl, as it contains a lot of pops and clicks from earlier generations. I have tried to remaster it back to a clean-as-possible state by pain-stakely removing all clicks and pops (at least most of them without destroying the sound-quality too much).

Hope that somebody is able to post some more info about this album.

Enjoy!
HighHope58

(*) Luckily Pink Floyd isn't like some modern groups, which think that an odd half-hour appearance after a supporting-act of more than an hour is counted as a whole concert by the audience!

MrChips
2006-07-12, 06:05 PM
hey, gang-

I own the roio 'Return of the sons of Nothing' on CD (original silvers with artwork). it's a 2 CD set and is a complete copy of this particular show. I seeded it last year over at the Traders Den.

other complete roios of this date and venue are 'Something from Nothing' + 'Eugene' (both together make up complete show), and 'Fat Old Sun'.

If you guys want, I'd be happy to up 'ROTSON' (as it's known to us Floyd Heads) later tonite when I get home from work. I'm takin' a break right now..............don't tell anyone!!! :cool:

J-

vickster
2006-07-13, 12:43 AM
hey, gang-

If you guys want, I'd be happy to up 'ROTSON' (as it's known to us Floyd Heads) later tonite when I get home from work. I'm takin' a break right now..............don't tell anyone!!! :cool:

J-

You have my permission ;)

MrChips
2006-07-13, 01:04 AM
You have my permission ;)

I'll up it tomorrow morning eastern standard time. stay tuned!!

thnx for the permission, vickster!! :D

highhopes58
2006-07-13, 09:38 AM
Thanks in advance for posting. Hope the sound quality of the silvers are a little better than the vinyl.

BTW, it is easier to ask forgivingness afterwards than permission in advance! ;-)

Cheers!
HighHopes58

fatoldpig
2006-07-13, 02:35 PM
I'll up it tomorrow morning eastern standard time. stay tuned!!

thnx for the permission, vickster!! :Di have your version, i can help you seed :D

seth01
2006-07-13, 09:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help with the date on this show. It's still not clear to me. Does anyone know definitively? :confused:

Thanks again,
Seth.

highhopes58
2006-07-14, 06:32 PM
I'm currently downloading MrChips complete ROTSON seeding (go to http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222 for the posting - thanks MrChips!) and will compare this version with the other one. Both mention the same venue and date, e.g. Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C., U.S.A., November 16th, 1971.

Enjoy!
HighHopes58

seth01
2006-07-15, 08:32 PM
I'm currently downloading MrChips complete ROTSON seeding (go to http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222 for the posting - thanks MrChips!) and will compare this version with the other one. Both mention the same venue and date, e.g. Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C., U.S.A., November 16th, 1971.

Enjoy!
HighHopes58

That would be great hh58 as it's still not clear to me :confused: . Anything you can do to help solve this would be great.

Thanks,
Seth.

highhopes58
2006-07-16, 11:32 AM
Hi Seth01,

"A promise made is a debt unpaid" (Robert Silver, Canada)

I compared both releases and here are my findings:

One of these Days: complete different jam by David Gilmour's bass both in performance and timing, also the toal track has a different timing of the various parts
Careful with that Axe, Eugene: different vocals and timing
Echoes: different timing of the various parts and different jams. The text is the same though.

The rest of the tracks of the double-silvers I can't compare as they haven't been released on the vinyl.

Hope I haven't confused you more but it is clear that both releases are taken from a different concert. But they are both great ones and worth having. Hope that some folks who have been to PF's concerts in Germany or USA can recognize some parts.

Lordtomaso mentioned that during the german show, Roger announce Echoes as "This is called ... Looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg", which is clearly audible in the vinyl release (see also http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/return_sons_nothing.cd.html). However, this is also documented to be teh case for the Washnigton show, unfortunately however this is cut out on the silvers.

So, although not definitive, I would go for:
vinyl: German show (wrong reference on the cover) - Boblingen Festhalle, Boblingen, Germany 15th November 1972
silvers: USA show - Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C., USA, 16 November 1971 (this is supported by the notes that Dave losses a little control at the end of Cymbaline, which is clearly the case on the silver release)

Enjoy!
HighHopes58

fatoldpig
2006-07-16, 06:24 PM
So, although not definitive, I would go for:
vinyl: German show (wrong reference on the cover) - Boblingen Festhalle, Boblingen, Germany 15th November 1972
silvers: USA show - Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C., USA, 16 November 1971 (this is supported by the notes that Dave losses a little control at the end of Cymbaline, which is clearly the case on the silver release)

Enjoy!
HighHopes58does CWTAE has pict rant? if it is, then it's from 72-11-15

highhopes58
2006-07-16, 08:13 PM
Hi FatOldPig,

Can you explain what you mean by "pict rant" and I can check both tracks (sorry I don't understand the term, but that might be because it is the end of a nice weekend of BBQ's, beer, sun and more beers... :) )

Thanks!
HighHopes58

fatoldpig
2006-07-16, 09:06 PM
Hi FatOldPig,

Can you explain what you mean by "pict rant" and I can check both tracks (sorry I don't understand the term, but that might be because it is the end of a nice weekend of BBQ's, beer, sun and more beers... :) )

Thanks!
HighHopes58during last leg of 72 tour, Roger did "scottish rant" during Careful with that axe. check for that at around 5:45 min mark. other shows with pict rant include 72-11-14, 11-17, 11-29, 12-10 (there is one more i can't remember now)

highhopes58
2006-07-16, 09:14 PM
Hi OldFatPig,

You're "on the spot": the vinyl version has indeed Roger scanting something like scottish around the 5:45 mark before he goes into the screaming bit. Guess that proofs that the vinyl is indeed the German show. Thanks for your input and I hope this helps Seth01 out.

Enjoy!
HighHopes58

seth01
2006-08-05, 09:01 PM
Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you so much hh58 and FOP. You have clarified this for me perfectly and it is greatly appreciated. :)

Seth

goldenband
2007-09-05, 12:17 PM
I have the silver CD of this, and am glad that I do! Excellent first post to make. It's a great set, runs ever so slightly fast but not enough to trouble most folks (maybe 2-3&#37; though I haven't checked in a while). Maybe I'll do a speed correction sometime.

vince666
2007-09-05, 12:43 PM
this is one of my favourite roios...

i did a speed correction of this 3 songs but starting from the "untitled 1st gen" and not from this roio just for my personal listen...

...the speed corrected songs are really enjoyable... :D

i did not upload my speed corrected version because i did not want to create more confusion into the "difficult" world of roios... but if you're interested i could upload it now! ;)

sorry for my bad english :(

Duke_The_Wizard
2007-09-05, 01:55 PM
hi vince if you may - upload your version :p

vince666
2007-09-05, 02:11 PM
OK! ;)

i have only to convert my wav files into flac and write a text file with all the details...

tonight, after working, i'll do this job :D

bye :)

Darkcycle
2007-09-05, 04:07 PM
To all of you who were downloading this, my apologies, I had trouble with my Provider earlier, my connection was down. All is well now, and I'm able to seed again! I'm in the Northern Ontario backwoods and have a Wireless connection, which is not always reliable, but I do what I can!!!

Cheers,
D.

vince666, I would also love to have a listen to your speed corrected version. You say though, that it was the 1'st Gen from the Master, that you did your correction on, is that correct? That is the, '1972-11-15 - Echoes Of The Past' (http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1961&highlight=1972-11-15),
or even if it didn't have that name, but the lineage is the same?
I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested, thank you!

Regards!

vince666
2007-09-05, 10:04 PM
hi darkcycle... :D

the one you've mentioned is the "Echoes of the past" , said to be directly from the master... at a first listen it seems to be a wonderful roio, but unfortunately there is much NR used on it...
...and if you do a spectrum analisys on it, you'll find a sharp cut on the higher frequencies, as you normally find on lossy sourced roios or very very badly NR'ed ones...
...furthermore, the version i have (the one in circulation, i guess) does not match with the fingerprints on the txt file... (now i'm downloading also the version here on Yeeshkul to see if it's the same i already have)

logically the source that I used for my personal S.C. version is NOT this one... :D

so I started from the roio called "untitled 1st gen" that has a full spectrum but phase and speed problems...
...the funny thing is that only few months ago this "untitled 1st gen" was on the pf-db.com webpages and now it's disappeared from the database :confused: (and also the speed corrected version on the other thread)...

bye :)

vince666
2007-09-06, 12:16 AM
...furthermore, the version i have (the one in circulation, i guess) does not match with the fingerprints on the txt file... (now i'm downloading also the version here on Yeeshkul to see if it's the same i already have)

done! this version here on Yeeshkul is EXACTLY the same files i already had... :cool:

so also this version of EOTP does not match with the fingerprints on the .txt file...

bye ;)

Darkcycle
2007-09-06, 02:35 AM
so also this version of EOTP does not match with the fingerprints on the .txt file...

Re: Fingerprints for "1972-11-15 - Echoes Of The Past", posted here: http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1961
I just checked them after you mentioned it and they DO seem to match the txt file... Are you sure you didn't mix md5 with ffp?

Cheers,
D.