PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd.... Nu-Metal?!?

ResiAlien
11-19-2006, 10:02 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/linkin_park_take_influence_from_pink_floyd.html

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MarchingHammers
11-19-2006, 11:06 PM
It's a dark day for Pink Floyd traders. Linkin Park should get their own ideas elsewhere and try not to take something good and totally f*** with it and make it sound worse.

-MH

Floydiandolf
11-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Never heard of Linkin Park, so i don't mind if they try to sound like Pink Floyd. Nothing can beat the real thing!

Jujufloyd
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
It reminds me of what Slipknot have declared about their third album. They said they took influence from Pink Floyd too....
I listened to this album (Slipknot : Vol. 3 : The Subliminal Verses), and on 2 or 3 tracks, I gotta admit that they're right !
There were something very floydian in these songs... For example, one of their riff reminds me of Welcome to the Machine, and some vocals harmonies sounded like the ones in The Wall...

Very strange !

So, Linkin Park influenced by Pink Floyd... why not ?
I don't listen to their music anyway ! I'm not 14, I'm 25 !! :D

Roughcut
11-20-2006, 12:58 AM
I know one thing......50 years from now bands will still be listening to Pink Floyd for ideas and inspiration and no one will remember Linkin Park!

ResiAlien
11-20-2006, 02:12 AM
I know one thing......50 years from now bands will still be listening to Pink Floyd for ideas and inspiration and no one will remember Linkin Park!

Yep.

I kinda think all of you are taking it too seriously, though. I found the article to be hilarious. These guys are desperate. They're trying to cash in on the success of Tool and Mars Volta by "going prog." They're desperate.

theembryo
11-20-2006, 06:08 AM
The comments are as..... disturbing as the article itself. But then, to expect any different would be naive.

ResiAlien
11-20-2006, 06:24 AM
The comments are as..... disturbing as the article itself. But then, to expect any different would be naive.

Ahahaha, yeah I was just reading those comments a little whiles ago. They're hilarious.

seth01
11-20-2006, 07:47 AM
I agree, these comments are quite amusing. :D It's true that no one will remember this band in 50 years.

Seth

ResiAlien
11-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Hahaha, this is the best comment:

deNJi_RoCks :
what? first hoobastank and now this???
what is this, a ****ed up show or something?
why'd floyd has to come and ruin every good rock bands to become a ****in weird prog rock band?
dear pink floyd,
i dont care if u wanna mess your band, but dont mess these hardcore, rockin bands! they're good just the way they are!
LP.. please get back to the old sound, with less rapping, of course. Bring out the metal!!!!!
LP.. you were my inspiration, the first band ive ever liked,,, please dont make us disappointed!
POSTED: 11/20/2006 - 07:02 am / quote |

Grateful Ned
12-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Truth is, just about every band, no matter their status (professional or amateur)
will say they have influences in either PF or The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, etc., etc. I think it's a bit misleading though. I'm sorry, Dave Matthews says he was influenced by The Beatles... I don't hear it... maybe The Cure, as both have whiney voices (LOL), but the fact of the matter is that the bands previously mentioned virtually CREATED this thing we call rock and roll. How could they not influence other groups, though this influence may be quite indirect.

Usually though, being a bass player and playing in several cover bands and such, the music you originally write is USUALLY directly influenced to the music in your CD player. When I was really getting into old Genesis (Selling England by the Pound) I ended up writing this long elaborate and progressive sounding song w/ many changes that were really just variations of the main riff. Now, I've drifted toward jam bands such as Grateful Dead and Widespread Panic, and the songs I'm writing are very loose w/ lots of room for improvisation aka 'noodling'. I think it was Derek Trucks who said (not word for word) it's important that the music you listen to is top notch (whatever top notch is, I think we, in this community have an idea and are open enough to realize that in just about every genre, there is good music, even if it's not a genre you prefer). No matter how much of a variety in music you listen to, if it's no good, it's still gonna sneak into your own creativity.