PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd 1974-11-04 - Picts in the Highlands

Bert13
2006-12-01, 07:06 PM
Usher Hall, Edinburgh
Lothian, Scotland
November 4, 1974 (misdated, should be November 5)

"Picts In The Highlands" - unknown label

Disc One:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (pt 1-9) 23:04
2. Raving And Drooling 14:29
3. Echoes 23:22

Disc Two:

1. Speak To Me 2:31
2. Breathe 3:04
3. On the Run 5:36
4. Time 5:46
5. Breathe (reprise) 1:03
6. Great Gig In The Sky 7:17
7. Money 9:22
8. Us And Them 8:25
9. Any Colour You Like 8:59
10. Brain Damage 3:54
11. Eclipse 1:55

Source: Audience

CD Reference: Edinburgh 4.11.74, British Winter Tour 74 Vol 1, Picts In The Highlands

LP Reference:

Comments:
Start of U.K. Tour (Nov 4 - Dec 14, 1974)

Quality: Very Good

***NOT TO BE ENCODED AS MP3***

Bert13
2006-12-01, 07:10 PM
Thanks to tj for his kind advice, I'm happy it's working now. Hope you'll enjoy the show as much as I do, It's quite hissy and a bit distant recording but the instruments and vocals can be heard clear enough to make this an enjoyable listen, at least IMO. First show of the UK tour of 1974.

Booster
2006-12-01, 07:42 PM
A little German bird ;) once told me that this is actually the 5th November 1974 and not the 4th... I have it on my list as such and apparently the Usher Hall Archives state that Floyd only performed 1 date - that being the 5th.

Littlesheep has it listed as 5th too but I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this as the majority vote has always tended to lean to the 4th.

Bert13
2006-12-01, 07:55 PM
A little German bird ;) once told me that this is actually the 5th November 1974 and not the 4th... I have it on my list as such and apparently the Usher Hall Archives state that Floyd only performed 1 date - that being the 5th.

Littlesheep has it listed as 5th too but I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this as the majority vote has always tended to lean to the 4th.

You may be right, you may be wrong, I can't tell you for sure. My PF Tour list shows two shows at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh, one on the 4th and one the 5th.

Booster
2006-12-01, 08:03 PM
You may be right, you may be wrong, I can't tell you for sure. My PF Tour list shows two shows at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh, one on the 4th and one the 5th.

and so does Vernon Fitch's PF Encyclopedia :) and I would NEVER argue against that. I don't suppose we will ever know for sure which date this is from :rolleyes: or will we.............

Bert13
2006-12-01, 08:11 PM
We would need someone who has actually witnessed the show(s) and has a clear memory, not clouded with certain illegal substances. ;) That might settle it.

Booster
2006-12-01, 10:49 PM
At the start of the show on the 4th a member of the audience shouted out
"We're all here!" to which Mr. Waters replied " We're here as well, this is a
new tune called SOYCD" The second number is prefaced with the words
"This is called Raving and Drooling I fell on his neck with a scream"

On the second night (5th) Rog misses the words "you reached" at the start of the second verse of SOYD, and introduces the second number "This is another new tune,it's called R and D"
If you check, I think this is the recording being seeded here.

Nice one Lordsnooty :) I knew someone would have an answer... good call!!!

pftest
2006-12-02, 08:48 AM
and so does Vernon Fitch's PF Encyclopedia :) and I would NEVER argue against that. I don't suppose we will ever know for sure which date this is from :rolleyes: or will we.............

I can tell you that Vernon did a great job with his book but it DOES have many mistakes in it. It is not the definitive PF reference that most people think it to be. It can be argued against easily. But it is still a fantastic read.

Booster
2006-12-02, 02:33 PM
I can tell you that Vernon did a great job with his book but it DOES have many mistakes in it. It is not the definitive PF reference that most people think it to be. It can be argued against easily. But it is still a fantastic read.

pftest - What would you say is a definitive reference then? just curious as I'm always looking for new books ........ :)

Bert13
2006-12-02, 03:15 PM
pftest - What would you say is a definitive reference then? just curious as I'm always looking for new books ........ :)

Do you know Povey's and Russell's Pink Floyd: in the Flesh?

Booster
2006-12-02, 03:31 PM
Do you know Povey's and Russell's Pink Floyd: in the Flesh?

That's one I don't have..... if it's recommended then I'll give it a whirl - thx :)

Bert13
2006-12-02, 06:42 PM
I think you'll find that that is fairly out of date now. I understand that
one of them is working on an update.

I love that book, take it up a lot. I bought it when it came out in 1997. Hope they will update it soon. It would be the definite reference book methinks.

littlepieces
2007-11-04, 03:19 AM
I believe this and all other shows dated the 4th were eventually determined to be the 5th.

I also have this rated at VG and a note about it being a bit slow.?:)

ozzyzak
2007-11-04, 03:59 AM
I believe this and all other shows dated the 4th were eventually determined to be the 5th.

I also have this rated at VG and a note about it being a bit slow.?:)

If this is true, it hasn't been reflected on the pf-db site. The 5th still shows no known recording. Anyone know for sure? Just want to make sure I label it right is all. :)

goldenband
2007-11-04, 05:49 AM
Yep, Lordsnooty told us that this one's from the 5th, assuming it matches his description here (http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13801&postcount=7):

On the second night (5th) Rog misses the words "you reached" at the start of the second verse of SOYD, and introduces the second number "This is another new tune,it's called R and D"

EDIT: And I should add, thanks for uploading this, I've been looking for it!

archangelsthunderbird
2007-11-04, 06:41 AM
The Picts in the Highlands I have says 4th Usher Hall and has SOYCD and Sheep on the track list .The sound is bad on the version I have .Roger also misses "You Reached " and goes straight into "the Secret too soon".So I have the 5th ?. Is there anything from the 4th out there ?.

Shamil
2007-11-05, 07:02 AM
The Picts in the Highlands I have says 4th Usher Hall and has SOYCD and Sheep on the track list .The sound is bad on the version I have .Roger also misses "You Reached " and goes straight into "the Secret too soon".So I have the 5th ?. Is there anything from the 4th out there ?.

The commonly circulated versions come from the 5th. They were previously called 11/4 for many years, but a real tape from 11/4 appeared several years ago and corrected that. I seem to have misplaced and cannot compare at the moment, but I do recall song introduction differences and the correct lyric in SOYCD as being what differentiates.

goldenband
2007-11-05, 05:06 PM
The commonly circulated versions come from the 5th. They were previously called 11/4 for many years, but a real tape from 11/4 appeared several years ago and corrected that. I seem to have misplaced and cannot compare at the moment, but I do recall song introduction differences and the correct lyric in SOYCD as being what differentiates.

Wow, I'd love to hear that sometime, as it'd be the first-ever YGBC, no? I remember running into someone on Dime who said that his friend had taped one of these two nights, and that his tape included YGBC, but I don't remember which night it was. Alas, I've lost the guy's username...

tjmack
2007-11-06, 07:09 AM
Really? Who says there was no show on the 5th?

Me. I live in Edinburgh and checked with the Usher Hall records some years back.

Those ever so correct PF reference books are not always so.

T.

GroovingPict
2007-11-06, 05:18 PM
Like tj says, according to the venue there was no Floyd show on the 5th, only 4th. The fact that you have a ticket and stub from the 5th doesnt prove anything. That fact that you have both the ticket and the stub suggests it wasnt used. Also, I have a Floyd stub from Oslo 1988 that says 19th August. If you check, they didnt play here on the 19th, they played here on the 2nd. So, dates and plans sometimes are changed.

Cheers,
Tor

notmyrealname
2008-02-17, 11:32 PM

You are absolutely right Lordsnooty about the Raving and Drooling comment on 4th November, I remember it clearly. I don't remember SOYCD being introduced by Roger Waters, but it was a long time ago. Also during SOYCD, just before Nick Mason batters lumps out of his kit after the guitar intro, someone in the audience shouts out. This is not on Picts, which makes me think it is recorded on 5th November. I actually had a tape of 4th November but swapped it with a guy in Germany a few years back; he gave me what he thought was a better copy of the 4th but it was actually Picts. If he is here, put it up for us please. The original taper was a guy called "Sid" King. Sid, if you read this put it up please!!!!

goldenband
2008-04-20, 05:57 PM
Wow, I hadn't seen that last post! For those who don't know, notmyrealname is the fellow who kindly provided the real YGBC from 1974-11-04. As he mentions, "Picts in the Highlands" is definitely from 1974-11-05.