PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Layne CD Single preorder up on Amazon.com

visualj
12-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted already.

Amazon has the Arnold Layne single up for preorder for all of us non-Euro folks who likely won't find this in the average record shop. I pre-ordered mine already just to save myself the heartache of searching high and low for a copy.

Here's the link :

Arnold Layne Single - Amazon Pre-Order (http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-Layne-Globe-David-Gilmour/dp/B000L22WTO/sr=8-2/qid=1165533479/ref=sr_1_2/102-7631157-6497736?ie=UTF8&s=music)

All the best & happy holidays!

mooncusser
12-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Definitely planning to buy this for the collection!!

But $12.99 for a 3-track EP? That's more than some (most) of the Floyd album CDs. :confused: Wow, they really want their money's worth on this. And that's before shipping/handling gets added in (unless you add other goods to get up to $25 for free shipping). With basic shipping in the US it comes to almost $16. :(

By comparison, it's listed at £3.99 at amazon.co.uk (£3.40 once it's in the cart with a US address). Even with £3.08 shipping, it comes to a £6.48 total. Even with a weak dollar and a foreign exchange fee from the credit card, it might be less expensive to order from the UK. :eek:

I will be buying this anyway, but it is looking like a rather expensive bit of music.

ResiAlien
12-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Yeah, but I find it hard to believe that they're gonna be pocketing the profits. I bet it'll go to charity or to Barrett's family. Dave's not the type to try and profit off of that.

mooncusser
12-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, but I find it hard to believe that they're gonna be pocketing the profits. I bet it'll go to charity or to Barrett's family. Dave's not the type to try and profit off of that.

I didn't mean to suggest that David Gilmour was price-gouging for extra profits. It's well known how much he gives to charity and how he's donated record sale profits in the past. Since the EP contains all Barrett songs there would certainly be money going to his estate. (I wouldn't be surprised at all to see David not profit personally from the disc.)

I was only observing that the price is rather high for a 3-song EP.

I can imagine some of the record company excuses. Smaller production run, blah blah... Fewer units to spread production costs, blah blah... If the lion's share of money is going to a good cause, then I feel better about it. But if the executives and distributers are putting snouts deeper in the trough because they know fans will snap this up, then I have a problem with that.

Like I said above, I will be buying this anyway (I have convictions but they're not that strong where this CD is concerned ;)). It just seems silly for the price tag to be so high.

visualj
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
You're right Moon, it might be cheaper (works out to about $13 US). I already plunked down the cash though, so I'll be keeping my standing preorder. I really didn't think about the price tag too much.. I'm used to paying more for imported CDs so I just chalked it up to the standard "import premium" pricing.

Makes up for the super-cheap copy of the PULSE DVD I got at Best Buy.. don't know how but it rang up as $11.99 *shrug* :)

ResiAlien
12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
You're right Moon, it might be cheaper (works out to about $13 US). I already plunked down the cash though, so I'll be keeping my standing preorder. I really didn't think about the price tag too much.. I'm used to paying more for imported CDs so I just chalked it up to the standard "import premium" pricing.

Makes up for the super-cheap copy of the PULSE DVD I got at Best Buy.. don't know how but it rang up as $11.99 *shrug* :)

:eek: I call THAT a bargain! Lucky you!

Yeah, mooncusser, good point. Well, whatever the cause, I suppose it doesn't really matter. All CDs are way jacked-up in price as it is. It costs next to nothing to produce a CD. Those things are inflated to an impossible amount.

entwisltefromthewho
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Acording to DavidGilmour.com the EP isn't being released on CD in USA/Canada, only UK & Europe.

ResiAlien
12-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Acording to DavidGilmour.com the EP isn't being released on CD in USA/Canada, only UK & Europe.

Which explains the amazon.com price... it's an import.

On a side note...right now I'm listening to Dogs and it's on that climactic ending verse..... my favorite 3 minutes of music ever.... Life is good... Sorry, just had to share that.

mooncusser
01-04-2007, 12:30 AM
I never got around to pre-ordering the Arnold Layne EP but placed an order with amazon.co.uk on Christmas Day. The CD just arrived today and it sounds wonderful!

I had heard the David Bowie version and Dark Globe online, but the Richard Wright track is fantastic also. This is definitely worth a listen - and since all the tracks were recorded live, an interesting comparison to the various ROIOs from the tour.

A shame this wasn't done in a US/worldwide release but it's understandable given the niche involved. Also makes it kind of fun to receive packages from another country...

(Watching me place the order was amusing to my wife - it must have looked like I was ordering goodies I didn't get from Santa).

Arnold_Layne
01-05-2007, 02:42 AM
I want to know where the hell the 10" vinyl version for the USA is.

mooncusser
01-05-2007, 04:16 AM
I forgot they were supposed to release that. I don't buy vinyl (have nothing to play it on anymore) but at least one site shows the release has been pushed back to 1/16/07.

http://www.vvinyl.com/vinyl/new_releases/dgilmour/default.asp

Gilmour's releases seem to experience delays lately (the Ltd Ed CD/DVD was pushed back a couple of weeks). Wonder if they're just announcing things too early or if we're just being eager. There was some news recently about On An Island being put out on vinyl, which I thought had already been done. :confused:

Jujufloyd
01-05-2007, 01:15 PM
There was some news recently about On An Island being put out on vinyl, which I thought had already been done. :confused:

It actually had already been done ! I don't understand neither why this news about an "limited edition" of the OAI vinyl.
See >> http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=1177&dept_id=10779&sfid=2
When I read the description, I see exactly the same thing that I already have ! : "double gatefold, 180 gram vinyl LP with fold-out poster featuring lyrics and album artwork." ... yeah.. mine is the same and I've bought it in june 2006...

mooncusser
01-05-2007, 08:03 PM
It actually had already been done ! I don't understand neither why this news about an "limited edition" of the OAI vinyl.
See >> http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=1177&dept_id=10779&sfid=2
When I read the description, I see exactly the same thing that I already have ! : "double gatefold, 180 gram vinyl LP with fold-out poster featuring lyrics and album artwork." ... yeah.. mine is the same and I've bought it in june 2006...

Maybe it also comes with the DVD? :confused: I almost wish I still bought & played vinyl just to have an excuse to buy it. That and the DSOTM 30th vinyl I found at the local shop...

Jujufloyd
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Maybe it also comes with the DVD? :confused: I almost wish I still bought & played vinyl just to have an excuse to buy it. That and the DSOTM 30th vinyl I found at the local shop...

Okay, I get it : in the link I posted earlier, here's what is written :

you whole order will wait to ship on January 12, 2006.

Old news I guess ! :D

HourCandle
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Just saw the clip on Top of the Tops 2 on BBC2. They started with David Bowie in 1972 and ended with David Bowie in 2006.
Great version of Arnold Layne and great info from TotP2 that it's a tribute to the late Syd Barrett and also includes another version with Rick Wright on vocals and another Barrett composition by David Gilmour. If I'm right, that's Dark Globe ?