PDA

View Full Version : A rattle in MMXP's Cage! (MMXP Cover Art)

mmxp.com
02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello All,

I'm Alex, also known as MMXP. Some of you know me, some of you don't! But I reckon that most of you have seen my work! I used to be somewhat of an houseartist (at least when we were housed in Orangemazes DC hub).

I've been busy the last couple of years doing a lot of exciting things but I've been lurking about here at the Y all along. Silently off course!

I was approached by a person whom I don't know on facebook the other day.
He asked my help to help him get a copy of the cover set for Have you got it yet?. Strangely this coincides with a conversation I've been having with andy_672 concerning some of my work. Either way it sparked the thought of making sure that all my old work was made available to you again (yay?).

But there is a twist to it! I am a so-called artist! It is virtually impossible for me to just reupload something and call it a day. This was painfully obvious when I dusted off the discs containing my HYGIY masters.

Let's just say that 8 years makes a huge difference in how you see things!
(or maybe I just needed glasses all along!)

So...here I am, 8 years old with a lot of new experience and I realize that I want to go this but I'm not sure how I'm gonna work it out!

The plan so far is this. I want to improve the resolution from 150 to 300 dpi.
I want to fix slight errors (spelling mostly) but I also want to archive this in a proper way. After all it is 3 years of my life and nearly 120 pieces of art!

Here's the twist (almost forgot):

I don't have the source material. Most of the images we're downloaded from the Image Archive hosted by LaughingMadcaps and god knows the quality was absolutely rotten.

So I need help finding and acquiring high-resolution scans of the source images in my individual covers. And what better place to ask for this kind of assistance than at yeeshkul.

So I though that I would do it like this:
I'll provide thumbnails of images I'm looking for. You point me (at the sky) or in the right direction. Maybe even provide me with a scan?
In return I'll let anyone of you request a cover from my backcataloge (jeez, that sounds wrong) for me to redo. As a matter of fact I'm looking at fixing the whole bunch so....

Though I have to make this clear: I will not start making new covers!

Oh this post keeps going on and on....SO.....

This is my Picassa page:

http://picasaweb.google.se/mmxparts/MMXPRestorationProject#

I've posted my current wants there. These four images are for Have You Got It Yet Disc 1.

I can be reached at mmxparts(at)gmail(dot)com

I would love your help with this project. Hopefully it means as much to you as it does/did to me.

Regards,

Alex / MMXP

floydfan2410
02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
I own around 2500 Pink Floyd images, and I recently shared them all here in the artworks thread. Take a look and soo if they're still being seeded

mmxp.com
02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Why thank you! So do I! ;) We hoard what we find. But the thing is...
Most of the stuff you find are already badly compressed....

For instance this image:

http://www.sydbarrett.net/images/69-73/Barrett/70-4.jpg

I can't seem to find it in any better quality than this. Though I know that someone is bout to have a print of it somewhere, or a mick rock book or something like that.

That's why I am asking. But I'll grab your file nontheless.

Now...did someone see where I put my glasses?

moonwall
02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Hej Alex!

Yes, many of us here know MMXP's artwork. I am one of several who inherited your job in the PRS hub :-).

I have those pics on your Picassa page in 300 dpi. I put them on my webserver http://moonwall.redirectme.net/cover_art/Syd/
Hope they can be of any use and if there more pics you want, just let me know.

Are you going to redo all of your artwork? That is a huge job, but good luck.

moonwall

PS Jag har en mycket stor samling PF bilder, som jag kanske kan föra över till dig på nåt sätt.

andy_672
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Mine (All 8+GB) or I should what artwork I have is all in my shared files on DC++ hubs (Echoes,IFWT,PFCO,PRS)

radiowaves
02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
MMXP...On my PC desktop is the entire collection of HYGIY? including the boxes. The spines make up a photo of Syd, and I believe that the last disc in the set comprises of the art work for cover art of each individual case, and both boxes.

Is this part of what you are looking for. I also have Miles pictorial book on Pink Floyd, which includes color and B&W Photos. Beeerlover also provided us with a torrent named -G2- containing most, if not all, cover art for Floyd.

If any of this helps, please let me know and I will send them to you by mail

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/floyd.html

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/grow.html

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/madcappic.html

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/seclusion.html

Arnold_Layne
02-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Welcome back Alex. :cheers:

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make new artwork, but we have Moonwall :) She's done an excellent job of filling your shoes.

A_L

floydfan2410
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Why thank you! So do I! ;) We hoard what we find. But the thing is...
Most of the stuff you find are already badly compressed....

For instance this image:

http://www.sydbarrett.net/images/69-73/Barrett/70-4.jpg

I can't seem to find it in any better quality than this. Though I know that someone is bout to have a print of it somewhere, or a mick rock book or something like that.

That's why I am asking. But I'll grab your file nontheless.

Now...did someone see where I put my glasses?

I've been working with graphical design for many years, so like you I always search for the best resolution and graphical quality.
When I collect photos I always try to find them in the highest resolution
possible.
So here you go http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6867/prsydiggybywall4.jpg
;)

mmxp.com
02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm flattered!

@Moonwall: Thank you for your kind offer. I'm greatful for the images you provided for me and I know arnold has made a very good choice using you as the lead designer. I hope that I am not barging in! :)

This project is a an restoration and archival project. The material circulating online is mostly medium grade JPGs from pre-2005. I want to make sure that the material is spread properly so that I won't have to fear losing it.

At one point, when resonably finished I will "clone" my archive and leave the clone with, most likely some of you.

I've set up a personal wiki for keeping notes on each individual set. I use it for noting on techniques, filterers and common nominators. This is very handy not only for tracing how one cover inspires another. It also gives me the opportunity to reflect personally on my work.
The wiki is not online! But maybe one day...who knows! ;)

And in respons to your PS. Jag tackar - jag kommer behöva en del hjälp! DS.

@andy_672: I know your sharing my work and I am greatful for it! Now I just want to give you the best possible versions to share!

@RadioWaves: Kiloh Smith and his croonies at LaughingMadcaps never understood the fundamentals of preparing the material for storing correctly. They harvest material but they never saw the aspect of storing for a longer period of time. We (meaning most of us who are in this thread atm) understand that concept. Of making sure you get the best possible source, stored the right way, in the highest possible resolution. So, I don't really need the HYIGY Image Discs.
Beeerlovers torrent I haven't seen but I know there are many cumulative torrents out there. Anything I do from here on will be considered REV A.

@Arnold_Layne: I never was gone! I was busy doing other things! ;)
Tell you what...Let's see what happens! I actually even think that I might have a cover for you that never was finished! :P

@Floydfan2410: didn't mean to come of as grumpy! Det bliver lettere når man taler sit eget sprog! Thank you for the image.

@All - *Looks at the images* Holy f**k! This is good! Scuttles out of Yeeshkul and into his Photoshop.......

EDIT:

Opens door comes running back in half an hour later.....

I need a scan of the Mick Rock photo of syd on the floor. The one named Barrett 45.jpg. It simply breaks apart when upscaling to CD format.
Does anyone have a Mick Rock Photobook?

EDIT 2:

Just to give you a hint off what I am aiming at:

http://picasaweb.google.se/lh/photo/lfeshOBk00sya-Y5anKHEA?feat=directlink

Bear in mind that this is using a dummy image for the front cover!

floydfan2410
02-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm flattered!

@Moonwall: Thank you for your kind offer. I'm greatful for the images you provided for me and I know arnold has made a very good choice using you as the lead designer. I hope that I am not barging in! :)

This project is a an restoration and archival project. The material circulating online is mostly medium grade JPGs from pre-2005. I want to make sure that the material is spread properly so that I won't have to fear losing it.

At one point, when resonably finished I will "clone" my archive and leave the clone with, most likely some of you.

I've set up a personal wiki for keeping notes on each individual set. I use it for noting on techniques, filterers and common nominators. This is very handy not only for tracing how one cover inspires another. It also gives me the opportunity to reflect personally on my work.
The wiki is not online! But maybe one day...who knows! ;)

And in respons to your PS. Jag tackar - jag kommer behöva en del hjälp! DS.

@andy_672: I know your sharing my work and I am greatful for it! Now I just want to give you the best possible versions to share!

@RadioWaves: Kiloh Smith and his croonies at LaughingMadcaps never understood the fundamentals of preparing the material for storing correctly. They harvest material but they never saw the aspect of storing for a longer period of time. We (meaning most of us who are in this thread atm) understand that concept. Of making sure you get the best possible source, stored the right way, in the highest possible resolution. So, I don't really need the HYIGY Image Discs.
Beeerlovers torrent I haven't seen but I know there are many cumulative torrents out there. Anything I do from here on will be considered REV A.

@Arnold_Layne: I never was gone! I was busy doing other things! ;)
Tell you what...Let's see what happens! I actually even think that I might have a cover for you that never was finished! :P

@Floydfan2410: didn't mean to come of as grumpy! Det bliver lettere når man taler sit eget sprog! Thank you for the image.

@All - *Looks at the images* Holy f**k! This is good! Scuttles out of Yeeshkul and into his Photoshop.......

EDIT:

Opens door comes running back in half an hour later.....

I need a scan of the Mick Rock photo of syd on the floor. The one named Barrett 45.jpg. It simply breaks apart when upscaling to CD format.
Does anyone have a Mick Rock Photobook?

EDIT 2:

Just to give you a hint off what I am aiming at:

http://picasaweb.google.se/lh/photo/lfeshOBk00sya-Y5anKHEA?feat=directlink

Bear in mind that this is using a dummy image for the front cover!

Hehe, hvorfor vidste jeg ikke du var Dansker MMXP??
Eller har jeg bare glemt det? hmm LOL

radiowaves
02-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Ahhhhh.....Alex, Do you not work with Photoshop? That fixes photos just right. Normally, I save them as PSD files. I 'm sure moonwall will do the best to help you. I received a lot of info from moonwall, and the info was in deep gratitude:sexy:;)

mmxp.com
02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
@ RadioWaves: The thing is that you get serious jpegartefacts when upscaling from 72dpi to 300dpi. I know I'm a tough nut but in my world I need this revision to be spot on perfect. Stretching an image from 72 to 300 and then filtering it just isn't good enough?

Have I gone to far??? Am I beyond??? Oh what the heck! Who has a Mick Rock photobook and a scanner? ;)

I still need a high res version of this one:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6867/prsydiggybywall4.jpg
and I have a new wantlist!:

http://picasaweb.google.se/mmxparts/MMXPRestorationProject#5438051778120332418

@floydfan2410: Det ved du hvis du tænker godt efter!! RW @ Roskilde?
Btw. You mailbox is full!

I want to show you what I mean:

This image:

http://picasaweb.google.se/mmxparts/MMXPRestorationProject#5438120223171467042

Is a comparison of two versions of the same image. The one of the left can be found floating around the web. When I got my copy it was 300 dpi (yes) but underscaled, approx 20% of the size I need (400 pixels across). My version is scanned from the Miles book and is quite close to the size I need it to be to fit in the proper dimension space.

The left hand photo is upscaled by 500 percent (from 400 pixels to 1700 pixels). The photo on the right is unscaled!!!

I hope I don't come across as ungreatful for any help you can provide. But If I need to future proof my work for posterity (sound terrible when you put it like that) then I need the images to be in seriously higher quality.

The good part is that we all end up with new fresh highly potent superscans. ;)

radiowaves
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I have that picture in Miles book, Alex. I'll see what I can do for you with it

radiowaves
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg243/zzradiowaves/prsydiggybywall4.jpg

Just messed around with a few settings and got this

andy_672
02-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I have the book & a scanner if thats any help

mmxp.com
02-14-2010, 08:22 PM
hmmm...still to small! ;)

Oh well...I greatly appreciate you effort RadioWaves! It would to some extent be equally good just to use a processed image. Go find your copy of HYGIY Disc 2 and look at the front cover. The image is so heavily filtered that Syd almost looks cartoonist. No contours, no mouth, just black hair and black eye

The effect in itself is good. But I still think I would like to see it with a clear image. I know I have the image (cropped) in Miles Visual Documentary. I can use it to make a composite. My hopes are still that someone has a mick rock book with the full image in.

One thing that might be intresting is that everything I did with HYGIY needs to be reversed. Sound odd? Back in those days I worked in a way where layer composing was done almost opposite to how I do things now. This is one of the reasons that many of the first HYGIYs are pale in comparion to the later. Because I started off using a white sheet of paper.

These days I begin with the image and then work the image out from them.
Its truly intresting to deconstruct your own work like this. Amazed at what you find....and how much you learned. I'll give you comparisons once I get around to it. The difference is startling.

radiowaves
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
In the photo that I posted, Syd's jacket is clearly visible. Also, his eyes are very clearly seen. His girlfriend is very recognizable on the ground. I did not retouch anything in the photo. I just adjusted the noise filter, and some other filters like the light and contrast. I am sure that you will do a better copy with the skill you posses, but for now, the image that I created is now my desktop background :D

radiowaves
02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I have just looked at the image that you are talking about, Alex. The Syd image is in the background, instead of bringing it forward. This is an easy task. There are multiple layers overlaying the image of Syd, which makes the photo almost unrecognizable. If I was told what the overlaying images were, perhaps I could try to recreate Disc 2 cover for you to sample. I could then save it as a PSD and you could change it anyway that you wished

Martin

mmxp.com
02-14-2010, 09:36 PM
There are multiple layers overlaying the image of Syd, which makes the photo almost unrecognizable.

On my Picassa page you'll see the original image (As is appears below all the effect layers). It's extremely highcontrasted almost posterized. On top and below there are different colors and fractalimages.

My though is this: I based the image on the fractal set or the vibrant color of the image. Not the image of Syd! Instead of using Syd as the main focal point I obscured and distorted the image to suit the "Psychedelic" look of the cover. Maybe I am thinking backwards. Oh my god...It's full of Stars!

Btw...do you know how many MMXP Covers there are???

Too bloody many! :D

I need an assitant!

floydfan2410
02-14-2010, 09:53 PM
@ RadioWaves: The thing is that you get serious jpegartefacts when upscaling from 72dpi to 300dpi. I know I'm a tough nut but in my world I need this revision to be spot on perfect. Stretching an image from 72 to 300 and then filtering it just isn't good enough?

Have I gone to far??? Am I beyond??? Oh what the heck! Who has a Mick Rock photobook and a scanner? ;)

I still need a high res version of this one:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6867/prsydiggybywall4.jpg
and I have a new wantlist!:

http://picasaweb.google.se/mmxparts/MMXPRestorationProject#5438051778120332418

@floydfan2410: Det ved du hvis du tænker godt efter!! RW @ Roskilde?
Btw. You mailbox is full!

I want to show you what I mean:

This image:

http://picasaweb.google.se/mmxparts/MMXPRestorationProject#5438120223171467042

Is a comparison of two versions of the same image. The one of the left can be found floating around the web. When I got my copy it was 300 dpi (yes) but underscaled, approx 20% of the size I need (400 pixels across). My version is scanned from the Miles book and is quite close to the size I need it to be to fit in the proper dimension space.

The left hand photo is upscaled by 500 percent (from 400 pixels to 1700 pixels). The photo on the right is unscaled!!!

I hope I don't come across as ungreatful for any help you can provide. But If I need to future proof my work for posterity (sound terrible when you put it like that) then I need the images to be in seriously higher quality.

The good part is that we all end up with new fresh highly potent superscans. ;)

Kan godt huske det nu du siger det ;)
Og jeg har tømt min indbakke. :D

radiowaves
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
On my Picassa page you'll see the original image (As is appears below all the effect layers). It's extremely highcontrasted almost posterized. On top and below there are different colors and fractalimages.

My though is this: I based the image on the fractal set or the vibrant color of the image. Not the image of Syd! Instead of using Syd as the main focal point I obscured and distorted the image to suit the "Psychedelic" look of the cover. Maybe I am thinking backwards. Oh my god...It's full of Stars!

Btw...do you know how many MMXP Covers there are???

Too bloody many! :D

I need an assitant!

So why look for a high res photo if you are going to posterize it?????I know you have years of covers behind you, but many users here would be glad to be your assistant, including myself

BTW....Looks like I rattled your cage:worthy::D

mmxp.com
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Jaw drops with loud Bang!

Your absolutely right RadioWaves! Why indeed would I want a perfectly scanned image only to go posterize it? We'll I think its something like this...

Have You Got It Yet? never was finished!
When I go back and look at them right now I feel I owe it to myself to get them done. And done correctly this time around!

Thats why that image is so important. It feels right.
That Image makes med big difference. It's really hard to explain.

Confused old Master Painter on the run again!

@Arnold_Layne: Was I always like this? :confused:

moonwall
02-15-2010, 01:10 AM
When working with artwork you should always use pictures in high res (300 dpi being the lowest), no matter what you are going to do with them. For example: when posterizing (or similar actions) a 72 dpi picture you often get banding, which may not be visual on a screen, but you see it clearly when printing.
I do artwork for printing and then resolution is essential.

(Here is a good reading if you want to learn about the myth of the 72 dpi:
http://www.ekdahl.org/test_dpi/test2dpi.htm )

mmxp: I have some of your Syd pictures in 300 dpi. See if you can determine whether this is an original 300 dpi or decompressed 72.

mmxp.com
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Trickery I say! ;)

Its all very intresting. I'm reading all the subjects I can just to get it right.

But....

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE

Anthony DeCoutris - Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock

Monster of a book - 554 pages and on page 426 you find......

Right! - The one off Syd glaring at the camera with iggy on the ground behind him. The printed resolution is barely half an A4 and with that on my scannerbed, now have the image in a whoopping 600 DPI TIFF Format.

Whoa Moma! :sexy:

Thats 55 mb of space that I won't get back! :)

This also means that I'm closing in on the grand update on Disc 2.

But Moonwall...I'll grab that 0057 if you don't mind. And If you can make it bigger then I'll scream! :worthy:

Check out the version I just fixed with the 600 dpi Template image!

radiowaves
02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Alex...In March 2010 Mojo magazine, There is an article about Syd entitled @I'm Not Here'... The first page contains a close up of the picture that you are posting. But it is at a different time. Iggy the Eskimo is actually sitting up, looking to the right, legs still apart. The close up of Syd is from his chest up to his hair. Mick Rock took the photo, and Syd looks very Serene/stoned. The photo was taken outside Wetherby Mansions. Earls Court, London, Circa spring 1969. The only prob with the photo is that Syd looks a tiny bit blurred in it

I have the magazine, and will scan it in for you when I go back to work ;)

mmxp.com
02-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I've seen it. It's new to me! I'm looking forward to a scan! :)

radiowaves
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
When working with artwork you should always use pictures in high res (300 dpi being the lowest), no matter what you are going to do with them. For example: when posterizing (or similar actions) a 72 dpi picture you often get banding, which may not be visual on a screen, but you see it clearly when printing.
I do artwork for printing and then resolution is essential.

(Here is a good reading if you want to learn about the myth of the 72 dpi:
http://www.ekdahl.org/test_dpi/test2dpi.htm )

mmxp: I have some of your Syd pictures in 300 dpi. See if you can determine whether this is an original 300 dpi or decompressed 72.

I' am a printer by trade, and would like to point out to new users that DPI means 'Dots Per Inch'. Also, a line screen for taking photos is a must. Whilst printing an image, the higher DPI and Resolution, The better result, but please remember that this will take longer to print than a regular page. This process will also use more ink. The best way to do it is to acquire a the best flat bed scanner you can find. Print the photo out onto photographic paper, as cartridge paper will soak up ink,and will also give a yellowy hue in the background if the background on the photo is white. The printers settings also have to be corrected. You can print a B/W photo in colour, or Sepia tone with two colours. The curve of the ink flow also has to be taken into consideration, as does the dot angle.