PDA

View Full Version : 1969-1971 show suggestions

jmoog
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
My favorite Pink Floyd era is the 1969-71 period. I love the fact that the Floyd's shows were so free form and experimental. There was a true sense of adventure in these shows. I like the fact that, for example, CWTAE could last 8 minutes on night and 15 minutes the next night if they were really into it. I love all of Floyd's eras but I miss the free form leanings when listening to post-Dark Side shows when the songs were played the same way every show.

I have a number of 69-71 Floyd shows but I am always on the lookout for other good shows from this period. I was hoping that some of you could list your favorite 69-71 era shows and if I don't have them I will seek them out. Thanks everyone.

moonwall
03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
There are two sticky posts in this Pink Floyd Related Forum, that lists the best recording from 69-71
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15993
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16545

jmoog
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Cool I appreciate it Moonwall. Do you have any personal favorite shows from the 69-71 era?

radiowaves
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
1969-05-09 - University of Southampton
1969-06-26 - Royal Albert Hall
1969-09-17 - The Man and the Journey
1970-01-23 - Paris
1970-01-18 - Croydon - First Live Performance of 'The Embryo'
1970-02-28 - Leeds University
1970-04-22 - Portchester
1970-05-01 - Santa Monica
1970-11-11 - Pictures of Pink Floyd
1971-04-03 - Ahoy Rotterdam
1971-06-04 - Philips Veranstaltungshalle
1971-06-05 - Berlin
1971-09-23 - Copenhagen
1971-09-30 - BBC Radio One Master Reels
1971-10-16 - Ted's Alvy's Interview with Nick and Rick at KPPC-FM Pasadena
1971-11-06 - Cleveland

These are, of course, personal choices

jmoog
03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
1969-05-09 - University of Southampton
1969-06-26 - Royal Albert Hall
1969-09-17 - The Man and the Journey
1970-01-23 - Paris
1970-01-18 - Croydon - First Live Performance of 'The Embryo'
1970-02-28 - Leeds University
1970-04-22 - Portchester
1970-05-01 - Santa Monica
1970-11-11 - Pictures of Pink Floyd
1971-04-03 - Ahoy Rotterdam
1971-06-04 - Philips Veranstaltungshalle
1971-06-05 - Berlin
1971-09-23 - Copenhagen
1971-09-30 - BBC Radio One Master Reels
1971-10-16 - Ted's Alvy's Interview with Nick and Rick at KPPC-FM Pasadena
1971-11-06 - Cleveland

These are, of course, personal choices

Excellent! That is exactly what I was looking for - personal favorites!

moonwall
03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
And mine is, of course, 1970-03-20 - Master Of Lund (Lund, Sweden) :).

jmoog
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
And mine is, of course, 1970-03-20 - Master Of Lund (Lund, Sweden) :).

Just grabbed it, thanks!

echoes007
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Both Radio and JM skipped 12/22/70....quite a surprise to me the epic and one of their highlight jams...10/17/71 as well...but then again I am in San Diego and the quality is superb...:cheers:

oldpink
03-09-2010, 03:44 AM
It really is too much of an effort for me to go through exact dates for all of these right now, but some that immediately come to mind in terms of year and venue:

1969 Royal Festival Hall, London - The very first "The Man & The Journey" show, what many would consider the genesis for "Dark Side of the Moon."

19SEP69 Concertgebouw, Amsterdam - Another "The Man & The Journey," but a true soundboard with outstanding SQ. The performance is a bit thin, though, with Dave's voice sounding really tired.

Jun 1969 Royal Albert Hall, London - The sound is less than perfect, but it clearly captures probably the finest performance the boys did of "The Man & The Journey," complete with a gorgeous (and one time only) version of "The End of the Beginning" featuring brass and two sopranos.

1969 Southampton, England - An interesting performance that includes a performance of "The Journey" that omits a few segments and includes a few other early classics.

1970 Paris - A really wild night for the boys in terms of material, some of it played only once or twice, including "The Violent Sequece." Also includes "The Man." Too bad the sound is rather thin.

1970 Birmingham - Another great night for unusual material from the boys. The only known performance of "Sysyphus." The sound is also a bit better than that of Paris.

29APR70 Fillmore West, San Francisco - A spectacular performance captured with ceiling mounted microphones. The SQ is magnificent, the performance is top notch, and even Roger sounds cheerful and reluctant to leave after they end with a thundering "Interstellar Overdrive."

01MAY70 Santa Monica - Unbelievable SQ recording of the boys on fire. Features what many consider the best ever performance of "Interstellar Overdrive."

22DEC70 Sheffield - Wow! Very long performance, with heavy improvisation, and unusual material, including the only known recording of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast." Killer night for the boys.

1970 Ernst-Merck Halle, Hamburg - Lots of improvisation and unique performances here. Roger is also joking around quite a lot with his German audience. What was it about when they performed in Germany that inspired such memorable gigs?

1970 Gothenburg, Sweden - Killer performance that includes the best ever recording of the very rare "Moonhead."

03APR71 Rotterdam - A very long and inspired performance, with Floyd clearly having a good time. Extra long versions of both "Atom Heart Mother" and "A Saucerful of Secrets."

23FEB71 Copenhagen - Great night and a very good recording.

October 1971 San Diego - A veritable "Best Of" show, with outstanding SQ (sounds possibly stereo, but I am no expert) and a band really taking it up to the top. "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" is demonic. "Atom Heart Mother" is arguably the best ever band only version, and I agree. "Fat Old Sun" is a lock for best ever. The rest of the performance is great, but the only disappointment is that the taper seems to have been unable to get the last two songs, which probably would have been "Echoes" and "One of these Days."

1971 Santa Monica - Great night of stretching the boundaries. Notable (at least to me) is the version of "A Saucerful of Secrets" that features a bit of "Moonhead" in the middle.

1971 Cleveland - Great SQ and a really great performance.

20NOV1971 Cincinatti - Incredible performance, including shrieking sirens and the famous 28 minute rendition of "The Embryo."

There are a few others out there that are also great, but these come most readily to mind.
:cheers:

jmoog
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
It really is too much of an effort for me to go through exact dates for all of these right now, but some that immediately come to mind in terms of year and venue:

1969 Royal Festival Hall, London - The very first "The Man & The Journey" show, what many would consider the genesis for "Dark Side of the Moon."

19SEP69 Concertgebouw, Amsterdam - Another "The Man & The Journey," but a true soundboard with outstanding SQ. The performance is a bit thin, though, with Dave's voice sounding really tired.

Jun 1969 Royal Albert Hall, London - The sound is less than perfect, but it clearly captures probably the finest performance the boys did of "The Man & The Journey," complete with a gorgeous (and one time only) version of "The End of the Beginning" featuring brass and two sopranos.

1969 Southampton, England - An interesting performance that includes a performance of "The Journey" that omits a few segments and includes a few other early classics.

1970 Paris - A really wild night for the boys in terms of material, some of it played only once or twice, including "The Violent Sequece." Also includes "The Man." Too bad the sound is rather thin.

1970 Birmingham - Another great night for unusual material from the boys. The only known performance of "Sysyphus." The sound is also a bit better than that of Paris.

29APR70 Fillmore West, San Francisco - A spectacular performance captured with ceiling mounted microphones. The SQ is magnificent, the performance is top notch, and even Roger sounds cheerful and reluctant to leave after they end with a thundering "Interstellar Overdrive."

01MAY70 Santa Monica - Unbelievable SQ recording of the boys on fire. Features what many consider the best ever performance of "Interstellar Overdrive."

22DEC70 Sheffield - Wow! Very long performance, with heavy improvisation, and unusual material, including the only known recording of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast." Killer night for the boys.

1970 Ernst-Merck Halle, Hamburg - Lots of improvisation and unique performances here. Roger is also joking around quite a lot with his German audience. What was it about when they performed in Germany that inspired such memorable gigs?

1970 Gothenburg, Sweden - Killer performance that includes the best ever recording of the very rare "Moonhead."

03APR71 Rotterdam - A very long and inspired performance, with Floyd clearly having a good time. Extra long versions of both "Atom Heart Mother" and "A Saucerful of Secrets."

23FEB71 Copenhagen - Great night and a very good recording.

October 1971 San Diego - A veritable "Best Of" show, with outstanding SQ (sounds possibly stereo, but I am no expert) and a band really taking it up to the top. "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" is demonic. "Atom Heart Mother" is arguably the best ever band only version, and I agree. "Fat Old Sun" is a lock for best ever. The rest of the performance is great, but the only disappointment is that the taper seems to have been unable to get the last two songs, which probably would have been "Echoes" and "One of these Days."

1971 Santa Monica - Great night of stretching the boundaries. Notable (at least to me) is the version of "A Saucerful of Secrets" that features a bit of "Moonhead" in the middle.

1971 Cleveland - Great SQ and a really great performance.

20NOV1971 Cincinatti - Incredible performance, including shrieking sirens and the famous 28 minute rendition of "The Embryo."

There are a few others out there that are also great, but these come most readily to mind.
:cheers:

Thanks for your detailed breakdown of why you like these gigs. I appreciate it. Also on Moonhead's recommendation I picked up the 3-20-70 "Master Of Lund" recording - excellent. That version of "CWTAE" is brutal.

oldpink
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
That would be "Moonwall."
;)
You won't get an argument out of me about the Lund version of CwtAE.
My favorite four versions are that, the aforementioned San Diego version, Boeblingen 1972, and Toronto 1973.

jmoog
03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
That would be "Moonwall."
;)
You won't get an argument out of me about the Lund version of CwtAE.
My favorite four versions are that, the aforementioned San Diego version, Boeblingen 1972, and Toronto 1973.

My sincerest apologies Moonwall - I have early Floyd on the brain which is where the "Moonhead" slip came from I'm sure. Sorry - I haven't heard the entire Lund concert yet but what I have heard has been fantastic - Cymbaline features some great Gilmour guitar. I actually played that version of Eugene for my friend last night and he was blown away by it too.

wromanus
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
About 1971 I have to suggest 20th of June in ROMA, the last 4 floyd Astronomy performance. ;)
And what about Pink Floyd at Pompei?

opaloka
03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
mine too (best period - after sid and before moon)