PDA

View Full Version : so why YEESHKUL ??

wishyou
03-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I guess this guy wasn't shooting "yeeshkul" but " YES COOL" !!
This very enthusiastic fan was probably coming from the Québec, the french province of Canada, close to Toronto.
In an interjection in french, "cool" means "great !" or "fantastic !"
And french canadian have sometime a very strange accent ....:)

moonwall
03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I guess this guy wasn't shooting "yeeshkul" but " YES COOL" !!
This very enthusiastic fan was probably coming from the Québec, the french province of Canada, close to Toronto.
In an interjection in french, "cool" means "great !" or "fantastic !"
And french canadian have sometime a very strange accent ....:)

This guy didn't shout "Yeeshkul" in Canada - Toronto - only. He seem to be on tour :) in USA too.

But I agree, I think he shouts 'Yes cool' or Jeeze cool!

superted
03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
But I agree, I think he shouts 'Yes cool' or Jeeze cool!

so do we have to rename the site now:D

Pottel
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
that is the best explanation i have heard to date....

theembryo
03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
so do we have to rename the site now:D

Aahhh.......

:cheers:

pattison2
03-08-2010, 10:53 PM
toronto is not near quebec and most likely the taper was not french canadian. though common to find french canadians in quebec, it is uncommon to find them in ontario, particular in southern ontario where toronto is. as pointed out to yeeshkul (or whatever it is that he says) was stated at shows in both toronto, ontario and buffalo, ny so the taper could easily have been from the buffalo area and not even canadian.

Pottel
03-08-2010, 11:00 PM
toronto is not near quebec and most likely the taper was not french canadian. though common to find french canadians in quebec, it is uncommon to find them in ontario, particular in southern ontario where toronto is. as pointed out to yeeshkul (or whatever it is that he says) was stated at shows in both toronto, ontario and buffalo, ny so the taper could easily have been from the buffalo area and not even canadian.
still does not mean the explanation given is a valid one...right?

pattison2
03-09-2010, 12:02 AM
still does not mean the explanation given is a valid one...right?

not the french canadian part, but yeeskul being either jeez cool or a drunken it's cool or something of that ilk could be completely true... we do like to drink in these parts.

oldpink
03-09-2010, 03:55 AM
Yeah, the theory of "Yeeeeeees Cool!" has been around for a couple of years now.
Hell, the guy could even have a speech impediment for all we know.
He might also have been saying it that way on purpose among his friends as a kind of "in joke," with the knowledge that we poor saps would be puzzling over it nearly forty years hence.
;)

Novak
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Maybe, just maybe, this was an ancient battle-cry of the Knights Templar and if you lay all the versions from end to end in Cubase (with a little compression on the top end), loop it at double speed played backwards, it tells the location of the Holy Grail (or San Graal) in Hebrew. Has this been considered? Seriously???

Eh!!! I've heard worse theories!!!

:)

Novak

kardyl
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a very viable theory Novak and I think that someone with some spare time on there hands (who obviously has no "real" work to do because they spend too much much time coming up with such theories) should do some serious investigation into this.
And also try to figure out what the Holy Grail is - I have heard it is a TOTP with Syd in it, but others may disagree:)

Novak
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
.... also try to figure out what the Holy Grail is - I have heard it is a TOTP with Syd in it, but others may disagree:)

I think you might find that the real holy grail, the true 'Sang Raal' is a pro-shot from the 'In The Flesh Tour' where Syd made a guest appearance playing Vegetable man while the rest of them were doing 'Dogs' (the song, not the American snack!). Again, I might be wrong, but then one mans Holy Grail is another mans Holy Sh1t!!!

Now... where did I put that ancient parchment! Got work to do... :)

Novak

jmoog
03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Just for the record I think the guy was actually yelling "Yeeshkul". I have a Genesis show from Toronto in Nov. of 1973 and the Yeeshkul guy is either taping the show or next to the guy taping the show. He yells "Yeeshkul" and "Robot". I guess he just liked to yell this at shows. On the Genesis show it's pretty clear that he's yelling "Yeeskul" and not something else. I think he just liked to yell it at concerts. Maybe it was an inside joke or something.

Novak
03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
.....it was an inside joke or something.

Damn. Nothing to do with Knights Templars then.

Back to the drawing board.

Novak :)

mooncusser
03-12-2010, 01:52 AM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/174/e/6/Spectrum_of_Emotions_by_priteeboy.gif
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yeeshkul

theembryo
03-12-2010, 02:33 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yeeshkul

Ha, ha, excellent link......

Did you make the .gif rainbow/smiley/pyramid? It, like yourself, is quite cool....

mooncusser
03-12-2010, 04:24 AM
no such talent, I found it via a firefox plugin for smilies.
rather fitting for Floydians, though.

Preclipse
03-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Just for the record I think the guy was actually yelling "Yeeshkul". I have a Genesis show from Toronto in Nov. of 1973 and the Yeeshkul guy is either taping the show or next to the guy taping the show. He yells "Yeeshkul" and "Robot". I guess he just liked to yell this at shows. On the Genesis show it's pretty clear that he's yelling "Yeeskul" and not something else. I think he just liked to yell it at concerts. Maybe it was an inside joke or something.

I agree. They definitely speak English. They are not slurring. They simply have this inside thing going, marking their tapes with the unique word. They say it fast, slow, loud, and soft. They even talk about saying it. From the HW01 notes for that Genesis concert:

"At one point, just before Mike's 12-string intro to Cinema Show, you can hear this guy say, "Maybe I should give a Yeeshkull!!". I'm glad he doesn't, but it does suggest this was his signature call at concerts."

goa
03-12-2010, 06:31 PM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/174/e/6/Spectrum_of_Emotions_by_priteeboy.gif

sorry, but can't resist: THAT gif is great!!!
you have increased my level of happines!!!