PDA

View Full Version : Most over rated and most under rated PF roios

Alan smithee
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
What Pink Floyd boot do you feel is over rated and what boot do you feel is under rated?
I'm going to throw my hat into this by naming 2 boots that get too much credit and not enough credit.

Boston Garden June 18,1975OVER RATED

Everybody seems to give this a huge rating...We all know it is NOT a soundboard but some people label it as such.
Echoes In The Garden is a horrible roio.I find that the Los Angeles shows from April 26 & 27 are superior to that roio..I'll even go as far as to say that the Ivor Wynne roio is better.
Admittedly,there are tons of different titles from these concerts and I will also concede that the Dan Lampinski tape for the 1975 Boston Garden show is actually good...But not great
Maybe there is another source or title from that show that I have not found that actually backs up all the hype around it...I just haven't found one yet.

Chicago April 28,1972 UNDER RATED

I've heard about 6 different titles from this concert,some better than others,but I have a roio entitled Chicago '72 from SIRENE which is the whole concert (the DSOTM set and the usual second set from that period)
The sound is excellent and the dsotm set was sung,IMO,much better than how the songs were sung during their British tour of January and February of that year and the Japanese tour from March where Dave and Rick sing the songs as if they're falling asleep.

That's my opinion,what's yours?

BTW...maybe we can all list our personal all time favourite PF roios...The real cream of the crop...some time in the future and compare notes.

Cheers.:cheers:

rubbish
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
What Pink Floyd boot do you feel is over rated and what boot do you feel is under rated?
I'm going to throw my hat into this by naming 2 boots that get too much credit and not enough credit.

Everybody seems to give this a huge rating...We all know it is NOT a soundboard but some people label it as such.
Echoes In The Garden is a horrible roio.

Now that's interesting. I've always found it to be uncomfortable to listen to for some reason or another as well (chronic audiological problems notwithstanding). Alright, so my copy's from an mp3 source but I don't think it's *that* causing the trouble. I just don't know what *is*....

jimfisheye
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM

ha ha, yeah but check out this version (if I do say so myself)
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19746

Alan smithee
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
ha ha, yeah but check out this version (if I do say so myself)
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19746

Hey..thanks very much,jimfisheye.
Here's my only problem with ISO files or DVD-A etc..
With an ISO,I can extract it but it turns into a series of AOB,VOB and BUP files...I cannot for the life of me convert those files into FLAC,WAV,MP3 or any video file such as AVI,WMV,MP4 or MPG.
This is a real drag because all these quad mixes I cannot listen to.
I wish there was a free program out there that could convert these files but I've searched this high and low and apparently there are none.
Maybe there's a simpler and more obvious solution..But I think I'm just SOOL.:(
But if that version is better than all the other sources I have heard from that concert,I wish I could hear it.:D

jimfisheye
06-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Hey..thanks very much,jimfisheye.
Here's my only problem with ISO files or DVD-A etc..
With an ISO,I can extract it but it turns into a series of AOB,VOB and BUP files...I cannot for the life of me convert those files into FLAC,WAV,MP3 or any video file such as AVI,WMV,MP4 or MPG.
This is a real drag because all these quad mixes I cannot listen to.
I wish there was a free program out there that could convert these files but I've searched this high and low and apparently there are none.
Maybe there's a simpler and more obvious solution..But I think I'm just SOOL.:(
But if that version is better than all the other sources I have heard from that concert,I wish I could hear it.:D

There are instructions included with the files that will answer all those questions and have you listening in surround, including examples of free software (Mac & Win).

Alan smithee
06-11-2010, 01:46 AM
There are instructions included with the files that will answer all those questions and have you listening in surround, including examples of free software (Mac & Win).

Thanks jimfisheye..I'm currently waiting for that quad mix to load...Really excited to hear it:drool:

reflect
06-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Animals 1977-06-07 is overrated. Not the performance itself (which is fantastic), but the quality. Stade du Parc Olympique is much much better than the Last Animals source.

1980-08-08 maybe underrated just because of the great Comfortably Numb solo. It's my favorite out of all the shows. The rest of the show is pretty average. The quality isn't great, but it's listenable.

ravingandrooling
06-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Echoes In The Garden is a horrible roio.I find that the Los Angeles shows from April 26 & 27 are superior to that roio..I'll even go as far as to say that the Ivor Wynne roio is better.
Admittedly,there are tons of different titles from these concerts and I will also concede that the Dan Lampinski tape for the 1975 Boston Garden show is actually good...But not great
Maybe there is another source or title from that show that I have not found that actually backs up all the hype around it...I just haven't found one yet.

Chicago April 28,1972 UNDER RATED

I've heard about 6 different titles from this concert,some better than others,but I have a roio entitled Chicago '72 from SIRENE which is the whole concert (the DSOTM set and the usual second set from that period)
The sound is excellent and the dsotm set was sung,IMO,much better than how the songs were sung during their British tour of January and February of that year and the Japanese tour from March where Dave and Rick sing the songs as if they're falling asleep.

That's my opinion,what's yours?

BTW...maybe we can all list our personal all time favourite PF roios...The real cream of the crop...some time in the future and compare notes.

Cheers.:cheers:

I've always enjoyed this version from Doinker of rec1 from Boston:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18178

Alan smithee
06-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Thanks ravinganddrooling...I'm going to check that out...Too bad it's not the complete concert,though.:cheers:

jimfisheye
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Doinker's tape is higher generation. I used Steve Hopkins' Master Cass > DAT@48kHz > shn@48kHz (Reeling in Pink Floyd DVD 7 - Tape 29) for the quad master. Now there's no question that we could do a better quality transfer of Doinker's tape today but the analog generation difference is bigger than the upgrade would be better I believe. Maybe Steve's transfer got a bad rep from all the very poorly downsampled 44.1k versions and the incorrect speed?

You can rip the individual tracks from the quad DVDA and listen to the back pair separately in stereo for a speed corrected version if you want. Ripping is covered in the instructions for surround playback using a computer and audio interface.

goldenband
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
This is off the top of my head, and I feel like I'm forgetting a bunch of shows with crappy sound and great performances, especially from 1977. But here goes:

Overrated:

1970-09-26 Philadelphia - I'm glad this exists, but both the performance and the "vibe" always seemed a bit desultory to me
1970-11-22 Montreux (formerly dated the 21st) - strangely joyless performance, not half as good as the night before
1971-04-03 Rotterdam, non-LP recorder - Why does everyone give this high marks for SQ? It doesn't sound half as good as the LP version
1971-07-01 Ossiach - I've never been able to listen to this all the way through
1971-11-20 Cincinnati - Heresy, I know! But I've never been able to get into this show, especially the long Embryo
1972-03-08 Osaka - Yeah, it's a clean recording, but there's practically no snare drum in the mix! The next night is much better
1972-05-04 Boston - I'm grateful that this recording exists at all, but people wildly exaggerate the sound quality of this (and Joe's 1973 recording too)
1973-03-07 Chicago - I've seen this get high marks for sound, but all the copies I've heard have been very harsh and hard to listen to
1975-04-10 Seattle - One of the sloppiest performances I've ever heard from the band

Underrated:

1970-04-11 Stony Brook - Great show and well-recorded!
1970-09-12 Paris - Mediocre sound but a beautiful and unusual performance; wish we had the whole thing
1970-11-29 Munich - Together with 1970-11-27 Hannover and the real 1970-11-21 Montreux, the best of the Nov. 1970 tour
1971-05-18 Stirling - Oh c'mon: it's not THAT bad-sounding, and it's quite a fine performance
1971-11-10 Quebec City - Don't know what it is, but there's something about this performance I find very engaging
1972-05-02 Carnegie Hall - A very fine show, pity it's not complete
1973-11-04 Rainbow (late show) - Perhaps my favorite OBC/WYI
1974-12-14 Bristol - One of the all-time best performances of DSOTM; not a pristine recording per se, but a very nice one to listen to
1975-06-16 Nassau Coliseum - Maybe for sentimental reasons, but I really like the lazy, hazy vibe of the show

jonali
06-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Overrated:

Rome 6.5.68: Excellent SQ, but so-so performance.
KQED 30.4.70: Again, excellent SQ, but generally dull performance (esp. Gilmour's guitar tone is bad).
Montreux 22.11.70: leaden rhythm section
Rotterdam 3/4/71: sound is far from Ex
Montreux 18/9/71: Victor's stereo recording is alas not as good as the mono source from the FM broadcast
Cincinnati 20/11/71: 26 min Embryo contains at least 10 mins of padding
Tokyo 7/3/72: master clone is clean, bur ridden with distortions on every track
Hollywood Bowl 22/9/72: Sure, it's the best complete show from '72 currently circulating, but vocals are bad and keyboards average.
Boston 14/3/73: Sound is actually not that well defined.
Oakland 9/5/77: Best show from '77, but the whole 77-tour is overrated; very wooden vocals, and far from sbd quality.
Radio City or Bust!: Terribly loud and annoying audience
KAOS Creek: Average recording from RW's 87-tour.
Turin 13/9/94: Sbd, but hissy (was it from 3rd gen?)

Underrated:

Southampton 9/5/69: Well defined sound with killer IO
Lund 20/3/70: Great recording with even better IO.
San Rafael 17/10/70: Well-recorded show, awesome performance
Tampa 29/6/73: Noisy audience, but OBC/WYI are pretty nicw still.

Alan smithee
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm going to have to agree that the May 2,1972 Carnegie Hall show IS under rated.
The 1973 Tampa show has alot of audience noise but it's very listenable,IMO..PLUS the '73 Tampa show has been available on vinyl for ages and for some reason,vinyl roios are generally more reliable than digital roios.
I'll be able to compare the quad version of the Boston Garden show to the Doinker tape I was turned on to in the next couple hours hopefully.
It's too bad that the Doinker tape is incomplete but if I can find a solidly EX quality for that show,I'll be pretty happy.
BTW,the 1971 Rotterdam show is very over rated as well...I've heard a few different sources and I'm not hearing what alot of people seem to be hearing from that show when they rate it an EX.

Alan smithee
06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Another roio I like is the Manchester show from December 9,1974.
I don't find that it's any worse than the Bristol show from the 14th.
BUT the version I have--Manchester Day--Time is missing the beginning.
There's another title from that gig called Kings Of The Palace.
Does anyone know if that is better in SQ or has the Time in its completion?
Or are there different sources from this gig that are any better than Manchester Day?

Effervescing Elephant
07-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Overrated:

1975-04-10 Seattle - One of the sloppiest performances I've ever heard from the band

Is this the date Roger says was his inspiration for Comfortably Numb, maybe?

pinkfloyd977
07-07-2010, 02:01 AM
No, that gig you're talking about is from the Philadelphia Spectrum on the '77 tour. Not sure on the date. Im sure somebody here knows.

Andysalina5
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Overrated:
Oakland 9/5/77: Best show from '77, but the whole 77-tour is overrated; very wooden vocals, and far from sbd quality.

In my honest opinion, '77 was the best tour since '72. Floyd was playing arenas and very large venues, making them more like led zeppelin. The Audiences were much more rowdy, therefore they come off as loud arena rock. Snowy White was a huge factor in the overall sound of the music, making the Wish You Were Here part of the show better than the '75 tour. The songs are more concrete than the original Animals demos that they started playing in '74 and feature more impressive guitar work, drumming, and vocals. Again, these are just opinions