PDA

View Full Version : Well done folks

tjmack
2010-06-30, 03:21 AM
I've noticed that there's been a marked increase in the number of new (and revisited) torrents being posted to Y. If only more esteemed members (including myself) could follow that lead and add to the new postings more - I aim to do better myself.

Keep up the good work - your help in keeping this site alive is appreciated as always.

BTW, I'm planning on reseeding David Gilmour - On a Live Island Double DVD soon. Feel free to join the torrent. Even if you join the torrent and find your files don't match exactly, don't worry, someone at 75% is better than no help at all.

T.

jx92s
2010-06-30, 04:12 AM
The new (NEW!) torrents are what keep me interested, as generally infrequent as the may be. I appreciate them very much.

Some introspection. Over the last couple months, I've been trying pretty hard to find something, anything to seed. Dates with no material on the tracker are rare to come by, and even remasters of remasters of who knows what that aren't already here are getting tough to find elsewhere. Seems plenty of what I upload turns out to be stinkers, in my opinion anyway, but if I take the time to download and listen to them, you can be sure I have every intention of passing them on. Old recycled material has some value to somebody out there.

Still, I thought the general seeding policy was to limit the number of duplicate torrents on the tracker, and not make new torrents of items already available. But seeing the response to a few oldies that have been reposted lately (most notably that they have not been deleted by moonwall as duplicates), and consistently noting how few people make good use of the requests forum, maybe spreading the bits around is more important than the inconvenience of sorting through occasional duplicates.

Is there any official policy regarding: what makes for a good re-post on the front page? I thought deleting some of my old uploaded torrents (and accompanying threads [if they don't contain comments of informational value]), and making them new again might give me something to do for a while.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the easing of restrictions as to what goes on the front page, signifies a good change in how I use this site: Sometimes I think posting: "reseeding now" at the bottom of a 3-year-old thread just isn't enough to really get it going again.

radiowaves
2010-06-30, 06:02 AM
I have a lot of other band DVDs that have no MD5, artwork, or lineage (whatever the case maybe) The long haul of looking up Google to find if they are legit sometimes turns up nil. I need to up my ratio because my Y registration as my membership here is a few years old now.

Recently, when uploads went onto Y, there were a few negative comments which I answered in the wrong manner. So maybe a little bit of help in a PM would help if the upload was dubious, instead of a flame on the front page. That is what puts of a user from uploading (like your's truly :()

I also have over 1000 ROIOs archived shows from Pink Floyd from 1965 to 1981 and still adding to the list. I hope to put it on a spreadsheet and find a URL for them soon, so that a request may be fulfilled. I also know that a few users have done so already, and Kudos to them. It's the only way to research your collection

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jj947/Y_INDEX.HTML

tjmack
2010-06-30, 06:08 AM
The original idea was to rely on the torrents that have gone before and rejoining them as the reseed requests came in. Unfortunately the Yeeshkul code isn't reliable, robust and flexible enough to handle that process. We've also tried to bump torrent threads that have gone inactive but that just doesn't work as bumped torrents don't appear in the top 30 list which is what many new members go by.

The whole point is to make sure that the Y tracker is being used - and it's seen to be used - whether it's for Floyd or not. In order to do this, we can't really afford to wait until each torrent has reached its absolute death before we post reseeds as well as new posts, of course. But since Y has been around for 5 years, many new posts are going to be reseeds in some shape or from - there's no getting away from that fact.

I definitely agree with you these days in that 'spreading the bits' about is more important than over concerning yourself with duplicates. Obviously we do not want to see existing torrents that are currently running quite happily being upstaged by new torrents sharing the same files, so I do still say do a rough check via the Tracker CP menu in the header section before you post.

Having said that, what I'd encourage is to do not worry about duplicates so much, but whether the duplicate torrents are actively running or not - and by that I mean (as a roughguide) a torrent that has 2-3 seeds healthily pumping out a good upload rate. A single seeder sitting there not doing much is what I'd class as inactive. You can easily check by momentarily downloading a torrent to see what state it's in. Rely on what your bit torrent tells you and not what the stats on Y tell you as, I've said, these are unreliable.

Reseed requests are a good starting point - see if and how long ago they last appeared on the tracker. If they are on, are they actively running? how healthy are they? etc., etc., etc...

T.

superted
2010-06-30, 03:08 PM
for me im in the prosess of archiving ALL my cds and dvds, this has been a massive task so far and only about a quarter of the way in:D
as with cds there is no lineage of info with them so i have to use yee/pfdb to "research" the discs as to make sure the show is what it is, then figure out what rec/release it is, if its not on yee i do my best to up it here for all to enjoy.

an example of what im doing is.

the other day i had 2 cds labeled " miami 1 nov 1987" for this date there is 2 aud recorders and a SBD, so i d/l the SBD here on yee to confirm the cd is infact miami - it is but 1 of the 2 recorders (so which one is it?) i will next d/l rec 1 which is here on yee and compair it to my cds and if its not the same them my cds are recorder 2:D which is not here on yee yet. i will then up it here, in the end i have both recorders and the SBD for this date and then i can cross it of my list, job done:D

all in all i would like all recorders/SBDs of every PF/RW/DG show to complete my collection, a HUGE task i know but its been fun so far.

so hopefully every new upload from me should be new here on yee;)

Olly37
2010-08-28, 12:53 AM
Some could read this thread as saying "duplicates now allowed" as older torrents on Y may not work.

Therefore, is there a period of time elapsed for the non working torrents. I'm guessing most (if not all) since 2006 onwards should be fairly fine. I know all mine from that day onwards work as upon request I've reseeded quite a few for members - its how I keep my ration up as new stuff is something I sadly don't have.

It comes a time when you see a duplicate you think should I mention it as it makes me feel like a moaner OR move the original files to match up with the new one. I'm not sure of the mods answer now to that.

However, I'm more tempted to stick with the "moaner" tag as new versions of old torrents is great for ratio building and thanks plaudit building.

Now flame me for typing this, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats how I see it.

Sorry/Peace,
Olly.

nolte
2010-08-28, 02:23 AM
Whoa! How did I miss this thread??

Sounds to me like it will be OK now to ease up the seeding restrictions some if no one is active on an old torrent, to bring things up front and fresh.

Did I take it Correct?? Just wanting to make sure. :)

Novak
2010-08-28, 08:16 AM
Dunno if this relates to this thread, as I'm not an archivist like a lot of people here. I grab what I fancy and share when I stumble on something good.

However, regarding keeping track of what I download/upload I have a simple solution that works for me. I rename all .torrent files in a standard fashion and keep them all, so that know what I've grabbed or seeded in the past, so that way I don't double up. I've got a structured directory with them in, so it's easy to work through and it's become automatic for me now. That in turn is supported by backing up the torrents to DVDs and printing the DVD contents on the discs, so finding what I need is usually quite straight forward.

Saying all that though, it looks to me like some of you guys have got 10 to 100 times the collection that I have, so my approach may breakdown at that level. Seems pretty stable at the moment though. I just see a torrent file, download it and name it, say, '1984-07-21 RW Brendan Byrne Arena SBE Fixed (Ken G 44kHz).torrent', and if something is already there with that date I know to do some digging and make sure I don't already have it. I'm considering getting one of these huge TERRABYTE HDD's soon so I can back-up to that, as Iknow DVD's have a 'best-before' date!! No matter how you look after 'em. So far so average though.

If it's a seed I'm originating I just stick For 'Yeeshkul - ' on the front of the name. If it's artwork or something, I stick '-DVD Art' or whatever at the end of the name. Just gotta watch the name length that's all. If it's too long it getsa truncated onthe tracker and that tends to screw things up at the crucial moment of posting your thread!!

Just a thought from someone less sophisticated.

Hey, Waves. I know what you mean about the flaming thing. A PM is usually less intimidating when you're just trying to share and be nice, and I tend to think twice about sharing any Floyd here for that very reason, but to be honest, my Floyd tends to come FROM 'Y' so it's not a major concern realistically. These days, I just ignore the agressive replies and comments or just report 'em. Life's too short :)

Cheers. Novak

(ohhh. Yeeshkul is the best, anyway :)) :sexy:

radiowaves
2010-08-28, 12:12 PM
Renaming the folder does not interfere with re-seeding. It is changing anything inside the folder that messes up the re-seeding process. Text files should not be changed, md5 files should be left alone. Artwork should remain untouched, and the tracks should not be re-named. Any change within the folder will not match with a seed.

Soooo...Hey, Floydian, LEAVE THAT FOLDER ALONE :D

moonwall
2010-08-28, 05:49 PM
Renaming the folder does not interfere with re-seeding. It is changing anything inside the folder that messes up the re-seeding process. Text files should not be changed, md5 files should be left alone. Artwork should remain untouched, and the tracks should not be re-named. Any change within the folder will not match with a seed.

Soooo...Hey, Floydian, LEAVE THAT FOLDER ALONE :D

Actually renaming the folder does interfere. I have a naming system that I use for my hub share, which also is my collection. When reseeding something, I click on the torrent here, then stop the torrent in uTorrent. Then I find the roio/voio in my collection and copy it to my main Torrent folder. There I have to rename it to match the torrent I want to seed. When every folder, subfolder and file has the same name as the torrent has, I let uTorrent "Force Re-Check" and when it's 100% checked I start the seed.

Back to topic: keep the torrents coming, but check how old the "old" torrent is. And for me it's a good thing if, like some of you do, you post a link to old dead torrents, so the can be deleted

Olly37
2010-08-28, 11:38 PM
Back to topic: keep the torrents coming, but check how old the "old" torrent is. And for me it's a good thing if, like some of you do, you post a link to old dead torrents, so the can be deleted

I only posted here because recently some torrents which weren't dead but working had be retorrented as new torrents and I queried the duplication. I usually put a link to the old torrent, however, its not dead in my opinion, particularly if its less than 12 months old.

Therefore, new duplicate posts will remain and the old torrent regardless of age will be deleted? Or as I mentioned original, is there a time period as when Y was rebuilt (or whatever technical term TJ used a few years back) is used as a reference point.

Bit confused here really now. My point is all the I've downloaded and recently sorted through which can be easily reseeded is worthless as its considered old. Or do I just relink it to the new torrents instead.

If so, then surely the lists of whats here is pointless as everyone might as well just upload anything as the old stuff will get deleted with members showing the link?

Sorry, completely lost. Clarity required.

Peace,
Olly.

jx92s
2010-08-29, 01:14 AM
I'm worried about your mention of deleting things: I hope that old threads will not disappear, specifically in the case that they contain quality follow-up information. Though, I would feel rather indifferent if just the .torrent attachment went away. Then again, if the .torrent is removed from a thread, will that affect the ability to search for said information in the future? I'm unsure.

Olly, there are some very old torrents from years ago that just plain don't work anymore. Don't know why, but they give errors when you try to connect either as a seeder or as a leecher. Those are fit for the trash by any estimation; they're not really the issue at hand.

Your old downloads aren't worthless. New people come here and may never know, or have any way to find out, about about some great show that was shared here years ago. A way to bring it to attention again is to make a new torrent of it. And if you do, as a courtesy to the longer-time members, it would be nice for the submitter to link to where else on the tracker it may be so that some of us, quick on the draw, can avoid grabbing something twice-over.

littlepieces
2010-08-29, 05:17 AM
I'm worried about your mention of deleting things: I hope that old threads will not disappear, specifically in the case that they contain quality follow-up information. Though, I would feel rather indifferent if just the .torrent attachment went away. Then again, if the .torrent is removed from a thread, will that affect the ability to search for said information in the future? I'm unsure.

I agree. No original threads should be deleted as they often contain valuable comments/info that are unlikely to be restated in the new thread/torrent. :cheers:

Olly37
2010-08-29, 09:20 AM

Olly, there are some very old torrents from years ago that just plain don't work anymore. Don't know why, but they give errors when you try to connect either as a seeder or as a leecher. Those are fit for the trash by any estimation; they're not really the issue at hand.

Your old downloads aren't worthless. New people come here and may never know, or have any way to find out, about about some great show that was shared here years ago. A way to bring it to attention again is to make a new torrent of it. And if you do, as a courtesy to the longer-time members, it would be nice for the submitter to link to where else on the tracker it may be so that some of us, quick on the draw, can avoid grabbing something twice-over.

jx92s, I didn't mention the deleting, that was moonwall in the reply before me. Only a moderator can delete. I agree, some torrents do not work, however, everything I have from the last 4 years can be checked and reseeded easily (I moved everything to a new hard drive), yet I find, many are being duplicated even though they can be restarted. When first reading this thread I got confused on what its saying really.

And yes, I now know to link the older files to the newer ones to help out but I feel this is time consuming when to be fair, its already there. Some new members just wades on in posting something, building ratio and thanks and old members have to wade through to find the original and match it. To me, thats the wrong way round. Links have been provided to assist everyone. They should be used before posting. Check the old torrent, if broke, post a new one withe link to the old one, then ask someone like moonwall to close the old one.

Peace,
Olly.

moonwall
2010-08-29, 11:12 AM
Since this new policy of uploading new torrents, even if they are duplicates (or same roio/voio in new clothing) I don't delete anything but the old, non-functioning torrent attachments. So the thread itself is still there for reading. This is something I don't do often, so you don't have to worry about threads disappearing.

chrisft13
2010-09-04, 09:53 AM
Good article!!!