PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 sourced interviews - your opinion

GroovingPict
2007-01-27, 09:11 PM
Ok, I have a little dilemma that I would like people's opinion on. I have a Westwood One radio programme from December 2006, featuring interviews with Nick Mason. Westwood One has gone away from the practice of sending out silver cd's to radio stations, and instead offer mp3 downloads of their shows to the affiliate radio stations that will air the shows, and so this show is also mp3 sourced. Should this be allowed to be shared? Keep in mind that it is not possible to obtain this in a lossless format, unless you work for Westwood One and have access to the original source tapes. Even if you recorded this off the radio, it would be mp3 sourced since thats what the radio stations have downloaded and aired.

Second dilemma.. This programme also has various official pink floyd songs in addition to the interview. If yes to the previous question, should the songs be edited out before sharing? In the previous interview I shared (the A Brief History of The Division Bell) I kept the songs in, but mainly because there were talking over most of the songs, and the ones that didnt have any talk over them were heavily edited. But on this thing, the songs are exactly as they appear on their respective albums. I assume all people on this tracker have bought all pink floyd albums, and so keeping the songs in shouldnt be a problem. On the other hand, they are not needed as the main (only) reason for sharing it is the interview bit, and even if most people here have bought the albums, the tracks are official and might attract unwanted attention.

So, to sum up, is it ok to seed mp3 sourced interview shows if that is the only way to get a hold of them? And secondly, should the official studio tracks be edited out before sharing? Ultimately it is tj's decision of course, but even if he would say no, I would like to know people's opinions on this.

Cheers,
Tor

PS. Forgive my less than perfect english.

beeerlover
2007-01-27, 09:23 PM
if were me....i'd merge it all to 1 track , if its not already, then publish it to a file hosting site like bigupload or something & offer the URL to it.

while a deviant user might be able to save a buck loading up their ipod, after cutting into tracks, I doubt any more harm than that would come.

I do not think they need to be torrented.

GroovingPict
2007-01-27, 09:26 PM
if were me....i'd merge it all to 1 track , if its not already, then publish it to a file hosting site like bigupload or something & offer the URL to it.

while a deviant user might be able to save a buck loading up their ipod, after cutting into tracks, I doubt any more harm than that would come.

I do not think they need to be torrented.

I forgot to mention.. They would be seeded as flac files. Why? Well, because the person I got it from had burned it to audio cd, and so I have to extract them to wav, and if I was to encode it to mp3 again, it would further deteriorate the quality.

Cheers,
Tor

SuperDude2111
2007-01-27, 09:42 PM
Nick Mason's voice, in lossy. Hmm...we lose the lower parts ofhis voice...

WHO CARES

It is a voice it is not music and never will be, if the only source is lossy, then I don't think it is that big of a deal. If people don't download a show, because it is lossy (even if it is the best and only source from that show) then that is their problem, even if it is lossy., there are some people out there (like me) that would still love to hear it.

tkd
2007-01-27, 10:31 PM
yep like beerlover said publish to file hosting site and give us a link. but hey it is the interview that is the most important part of this so i do not think the lossy source is such a big deal, for music files yeah mp3 files are just crap but i dont think the spoken word would suffer too much:) :)

tjmack
2007-01-27, 10:48 PM
yep like beerlover said publish to file hosting site and give us a link. but hey it is the interview that is the most important part of this so i do not think the lossy source is such a big deal, for music files yeah mp3 files are just crap but i dont think the spoken word would suffer too much:) :)

Filesharing site is fine, but you could share here. We say 'no mp3' sources when there other lossless sources are readily available. And I tend to agree when it's voice it makes little difference, but mp3 sources must be clearly marked as such so there's no misunderstandings down the trading line.

T.

GroovingPict
2007-01-28, 12:45 AM
Thanks for your comments, it's very appreciated. So far though, all the comments have been about the mp3 aspect, but how do you all feel about leaving the songs in or editing them out? Of course, I can see from the votes, but would be nice to see some comments as well.

Cheers,
Tor

tjmack
2007-01-28, 01:02 AM
Thanks for your comments, it's very appreciated. So far though, all the comments have been about the mp3 aspect, but how do you all feel about leaving the songs in or editing them out? Of course, I can see from the votes, but would be nice to see some comments as well.

Cheers,
Tor

The poll on this is immaterial, so I closed it. mp3 sourced material IS allowed on Y under rare circumstances. Read the FAQ.

T.

GroovingPict
2007-01-28, 01:19 AM
The poll on this is immaterial, so I closed it. mp3 sourced material IS allowed on Y under rare circumstances. Read the FAQ.

T.

well.. I would still like to know people's opinions on this issue, whether or not you would allow it to be shared on this particular tracker, like I stated in the original post.

Cheers,
Tor

tjmack
2007-01-28, 10:34 AM
well.. I would still like to know people's opinions on this issue, whether or not you would allow it to be shared on this particular tracker, like I stated in the original post.

Cheers,
Tor

The poll seems to be asking for policy guidance on Y when we don't need any. I've altered it slightly to reflect that.

It's definitely a subject for open discussion for trading in general

T.