PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Channel ~ Multi-Recording ~ Matrix

beeerlover
01-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I was just chatting with some friends, looking for ideas (one of them suggested a thread-thnx) of dates with multiple recordings.

But not just multiple recs, but :
at least 2 that both sound decent
(I dont wish to remaster)

preferably nothing missing in either
(patching almost never sounds natural)DG,PF,RW- it does not matter to me
(anything but 84Gilmour,lol)

~thanks for your ideas

steelbreeze1971
01-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Have you given the idea I contacted you privately about some thought my friend ?

beeerlover
01-28-2007, 10:59 PM
If you mean rw06msg yes, its in the works:eek:
if you mean something else, Im afraid I forgot our conversation

KoolKat
01-29-2007, 01:19 AM

damn,you took it...lol...more syncin' to do ;)

K_K

steelbreeze1971
01-30-2007, 08:24 AM

That's the one I mean. Can't wait for it. :D

steelbreeze1971
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Here's another that just popped into my head.
RW - Safebreaker 1984-06-27
I am a sucker for all Pros & Cons stuff.
Dunno if a 2nd recorder for this date exists though.

steelbreeze1971
02-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Just did a little research and there are 2 other sources for that date :
http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?concert_id=227&bootleg_id=277
http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?concert_id=227&bootleg_id=1830
Unfortunately I don't have either of them so I don't know what the quality is like. Safebreaker sounds like the best Pros & Cons I ever heard. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
So what do you say, interested ?

mmxp.com
02-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I have tried making multi-channel surround mixes from the 25/8/94 performance in Copenhagen (TDB). And I can tell you all that the process is much more complicated than one would originally think.

Timing issues are not only due to individual tape speeds and so forth. The placement and direction of the microphone is also of importance. I realised that even with two superb sources the sound is often placed out of phase.

My guess is that the recorder have switched direction or something like that...thus picking up a delayed sound or echo/reverb.

I did though manage to cut it into phase by removing a block of sound every 3 seconds or so...thus slipping it right back into phase.

In my case I trimmed the rear sound channels (Lesser of the two sources)

Thats my two bits anyway. The idea is great but I personally don't have the time to fine tune 2 1/2 hours of music for the purpose of simply sharing it!

//MMXP.

Drifter
02-13-2007, 11:25 PM
How bout recorders 1 and 2 for Montreal July 6th 1977

Both recorders have great sources as well the infamous ''incident''
:D

I'm sure many would enjoy too see this

sivle
02-14-2007, 02:16 AM
How bout recorders 1 and 2 for Montreal July 6th 1977

Both recorders have great sources as well the infamous ''incident''
:D

I'm sure many would enjoy too see this

Yes, i'll second that motion. Probably my favorite show of this tour, and was about to suggest it till you beat me to it.

Tenniru
02-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes, i'll second that motion. Probably my favorite show of this tour, and was about to suggest it till you beat me to it.

I third it. Two good and complete sources, a wonderful performance, a song only done once, a POTW2 Rog freakout, and of course a historic moment becoming the last brick in The Wall.

Although it's not as high a priority, I also reccomend doing something with one of the first two Wembley nights from 1974 (preferrably the first night, with two complete sources instead of one complete, one all-but-Echoes, and one all-but-first-set).
Also, the two June 5 1971 recordings would be awesome The show featured an early proto-lyrics Echoes, as well as a huge setlist of crazy-good music.
The only problem is that certain audience members didn't realize the "ping" intro of Echoes was a song, and kept talking over what they thought was just the band tuning.

beeerlover
02-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow! Thnx for all the input.
I can read the db & other sites all day long & not find the info you guys have given here.

So basically here's whats either in the works or perhaps waiting for a future project so far (1974-11-16 has already been done by someone else):

1971-06-05
1977-07-06
1984-07-21 or 1984-06-27?
2006-09-12 MLP/HiDef

Tenniru
02-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Could you possibly be more specific? What's actually in the works? I was thinking about trying my own Montreal 77 matrix, but I definitely don't want to do that if someone else with more experience is going to.

beeerlover
02-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Could you possibly be more specific? What's actually in the works? I was thinking about trying my own Montreal 77 matrix, but I definitely don't want to do that if someone else with more experience is going to.

feel free, because I wont get to it anytime soon--school kicking my butt this final semester.

as far as being more specific, as the thread title shows, I only do multi channel (wont waist my time on 2 channel projects)