PDA

View Full Version : A Beginner That Needs Help In Order To Record The Wall Tour 2010

theboss
2010-09-04, 07:02 AM
I am new to the recording world and would like to know what equipment I need in order to record a concert. I will be attending the first performance of The Wall in Chicago and will be sitting 8th row so I thought I might give recording the concert a try. If you could also recommend what brand or type of equipment you prefer to use, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Stu1201
2010-09-04, 04:35 PM
Hi There,
There are some pretty good digital recorders out there. I use an Edirol RH09 and a Sony ECM719 mic. The mic is really small and has a clip - so I clip it to my t-shirt collar and then I can operate my recorder from my lap. Whats important is to get a good clear line of sight between the mics and the main PA speakers - and also to get a good input signal that absolutly does not go into the red as thats deadly distortion. I would also say try it out at an other show first, rather than first time at the wall show. Also if you talk to your friends the recording will pick that up too, so there are a few considerations when recording shows. However with a little practice you should get superb results that can be shared and appreciated by the world. Anyway good luck and enjoy the show - im going to London, UK next year, but I did see the original show in 1980 too, cant wait.
All the best Stu.

chuckmein
2010-09-05, 06:24 PM
Tascam DR-07 will do a great job with built in mics.

CM

oldpink
2010-09-05, 07:04 PM
Ditto to what Chuckmein suggested.
I have a Tascam DR-07, and it is terrific.

theboss
2010-09-05, 10:50 PM
Thank You for all of your help! I will do some research on your suggestions and will practice recording one or two concerts before The Wall. Hopefully the recording of The Wall will be decent so I can share it here on YEESHKUL!

theboss
2010-09-05, 10:59 PM
If I decide to buy the Tascam DR-07 would a 2GB SD card be enough to record a full length concert like The Wall? Thank you.

oldpink
2010-09-06, 12:25 PM
If I decide to buy the Tascam DR-07 would a 2GB SD card be enough to record a full length concert like The Wall? Thank you.

You're in luck, since I have done quite a bit of experimentation with mine to determine file size.
Just keep in mind here that file size goes up as you set the bit rate and/or resolution higher, and this number is for standard CD quality 44.1KHz/16-bit recording.
You will get 3hours and 24minutes when recording 44.1KHz/16-bit inside 2GB.
If you bump it up to 48KHz or 24-bit, expect to chop that down quite a bit, although I honestly have not checked to see what the file sizes of those settings will go to, since I am not nearly as tied up in knots about sound as many folks are.
I don't intend to do anything but burn anything I record straight to CD, and I don't want to bother with interpolating from a higher resolution or bit rate to get that done.

The upshot of this is that you will not need to buy an SD card at all to capture the entire Wall concert, unless you want to capture the crowd before and after the event, as long as you use the mentioned settings.
btw...I have a 16GB SDHC card in mine, which gives me 26 hours and 40 minutes maximum record time, should I really want it.
The recorder will accept up to a 32GB card if you are REALLY ambitious and want a whopping 53 hours and 20 minutes available.
Another thing you should know - if you put in any card larger than 2GB - is that the recorder has a 2GB file size limit.
However, that does not mean that the recorder simply stops recording once it gets to that file size, but instead automatically and seamlessly starts another file sequentially named to continue on until that file likewise reaches 2GB and so on until the card fills up, or you stop the record process yourself.
The result of this is that if you have occasion to record beyond the mentioned 3 hours and 24 minutes, you will need to join all those files in the proper order on a computer that has an operating system and file system that supports files larger than 2GB, such as Windows XP, Windows 2000, Vista, or Windows 7.
I'm not sure about how a Mac would do, but I am pretty sure the newer versions could also do it.
A good choice for software to splice the files would be the freeware Audacity, but there are plenty of others that are either freeware, shareware, or commercial that can also do the job.
Good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions.
;)

theboss
2010-09-06, 09:41 PM
Thank you so much for answering all of my questions oldpink! I will follow your instructions for the next concert I attend and hopefully everything works.

danlynch
2010-09-08, 06:39 PM
2GB at 24/48 yields 1 hour and 56 minutes, which is probably not enough for the Wall show.

chuckmein
2010-09-15, 12:43 PM
Less than 12 hours. My device is in the building. NICE!!

CM

128bps mp3 sample of my 16bit wave show.

Full show will be up on the weekend.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b374a2e/n/Wall_Live_9-15-2010_In_The_Flesh_Part_1.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?2hmff811oa5sdww

Spitfire
2010-09-25, 10:10 AM
I was given this little device. Am I completely wasting my time thinking that I can record a quality show with this here in Hartford on Oct 15th? I hope to upload a wall show to share. This is a voice recorder vn-3100pc - internal mic.

Spitfire

oldpink
2010-09-25, 12:16 PM
I have the 3100 (non USB version), which is an Olympus voice recorder for the rest of you who may not already know.
It does okay, and I even recorded an entire concert from an excellent tribute band called The Pink Floyd Experience.
You should know that it records in mono only, and the download will be very slow, since the USB connector is a version 1.1 instead of a 2.0.
I was pretty happy with how mine did, even though I would have preferred a much higher fidelity PCM recording version capable of recording in stereo.
Your recorder records in a lossy compressed format...ADPCM to be specific.
You can look that up on Wikipedia or elsewhere if you want to learn the specifics.
It sure is concealable, though...half the size of a cigarette pack.
;)

Spitfire
2010-09-25, 01:44 PM
...So, basically, record the show, keep the yip-yap to a minimum, and up load it here for the audio-docs to clean it up & re-up... Speaking of cigarettes (and thinking of beer at 9am) I think I have to find a cleaver way of concealing it and leaving it at my seat during concert intermission. ...

My BIG problem is this..... I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND BEERLOVERS SIMPLE TORRENT UPLOADING DIRECTIONS.

SO, IF IT GETS TO THIS... I'D BE HAPPY TO MAIL MY RECORDING OUT TO SOMEONE WHO CAN HOOK IT UP.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!!

klingklang
2010-09-26, 12:23 AM
My BIG problem is this..... I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND BEERLOVERS SIMPLE TORRENT UPLOADING DIRECTIONS.
tjmack also has one at http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8246 It might help you out better.