PDA

View Full Version : Best RoIOs for a Drum Lover

Darwin
2010-10-19, 12:07 AM
My nephew's Bar Mitzvah is this weekend. Hes been taking drums for several years, and I think will play at his party. As part of his gift, I'd like to open his ears and his mind by sharing a couple of RoIOs. Which PF RoIOs do you think highlight NM's finest work? I'm also thinking beyond PF - maybe Rush or Led Zepplin. Really open to suggestions. Obviously something that is seeded would be more helpful.

On another matter, my aunt is in her late 70s and was visiting this weekend. Somehow, I mentioned the Roger Waters concert - she had never heard the wall. Well now she has - and loves it. LOL. Maybe she'll be one of our newest members.

oldpink
2010-10-19, 05:49 AM
The drumming on the rest of it is not all that prominent, but the "Doing It" section on the 17SEP69 Concertgebouw, Amsterdam RoIO certainly features Nick getting a rare moment under the sun.
For video, you get to see Nick smoothly recover from losing his drumstick in the middle of "One of these Days."

Darwin
2010-10-19, 12:22 PM
Thanks much for the help. I remembered where Nick lost his drumstick - but not the concert. I'd welcome other recommendations as well.

creamcheese
2010-10-19, 12:52 PM
There are probably a lot of other drummers who are more of a showcase for drum novice than Nick Mason. But if you want to get some fine drumming from Floyd-Roios i would recommend
Pompeii (that's where he lost the stick during OotD)
1972-11-15 Great drumming on Careful and Echoes.
1971-04-03 ASOS
1971-10-17 All Members are in a very playful mood

Beyond Pink Floyd you should check Frank Zappa Berlin 1978-02-15 and for the drumming there's always to get a couple of Deep Purple Gigs...

goldenband
2010-10-19, 02:36 PM
Give him some Gong with Pierre Moerlen on drums (but no later than 1975), and throw in some Mahavishnu Orchestra with Billy Cobham too. That'll blow his mind, especially the latter. :)

You might also consider tracking down one of the Eberhard Weber Colours live shows with John Marshall (of the Soft Machine) on drums...great, great band.

}{eywood
2011-05-04, 03:11 PM
Also any Terry Bozzio stuff (watch Baby Snakes, for example. 18 years old and already one of the best), and ELP.

Nick Mason? HA! The guy is average at best, and usually far below that. Glow in the dark drumsticks do not a drummer make. Mason is sloppy and cannot play in time or at a continuous tempo. He often can't even hit the kick drum and the cymbal/hihat at the same time with different limbs. He is why Ron Geesin had so mush trouble scoring AHM. The song was sloppy because the drummer can't keep time. I've stated a few times that in the early days I think Mason's main duty in Pink Floyd was bong hits. Drums were just a hobby.

rubbish
2011-05-07, 05:08 PM
Nick Mason? HA! The guy is average at best, and usually far below that. Glow in the dark drumsticks do not a drummer make.

Ha! True enough, but they did the job and looked pretty at the time.

He is why Ron Geesin had so mush trouble scoring AHM. The song was sloppy because the drummer can't keep time.

Oh, come now - surely he doesn't want *all* the glory? From addled memory (worsened by Fuller's Golden Pride as I type), did he and Waters not mismanage the backing track together? Come on, give King Konk a fair share!

I've stated a few times that in the early days I think Mason's main duty in Pink Floyd was bong hits. Drums were just a hobby.

Well, to his enduring credit he's never ever claimed to be a startling, proficient or even passable drummer, has he? Just a lucky bastard all in all. That's why I've always considered all the drums and cymbals in his later kits were just in case he missed the one he was aiming for in the first place....

And...is it my alcohol or your typo? Did you mean "bong" or "gong"? The latter makes more sense, if only because Mason was (like me at the moment) a drinker, not a smoker....?

}{eywood
2011-05-07, 07:39 PM
...King Konk...
...I've always considered all the drums and cymbals in his later kits were just in case he missed the one he was aiming for in the first place....

AAAAHAHAHAhahahaha! Great hypothesis!

And Honestly, I think he looks pretty damn stoned in most pictures from the period. I believe the term "Chinese eyed" might apply...

Lennyif
2011-05-07, 08:31 PM
I would highly suggest The earl's court 5-19-1973 show if you were to pick one. This may be the best Nick has ever played with the exception of some late 1972 concerts and the whole band is great here too, not just Nick. Also the sound quality is great and the setlist is a nice mix of the old improv heavy music and you get a good Dark Side of the Moon set. Can't go wrong!

It even says this in the notes: "One of the things that sets this one apart from others is the great performance that the band gave that night highlighted by Nick Mason's drumming (how often can you say that?)."

Here's the link to the Harvested version with 4 seeders. This is probably the best sounding version for this date:

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5052&highlight=supine

To say Nick is sloppy etc... yeah but Floyd would not have been the same With a studio perfect drummer. Keith Moon was kind of a hot mess too but I am not going to fault him! ;) Some of my favorite drummers inadvertantly venture "beyond the beat" at times. hehe

Funio
2011-05-07, 08:38 PM
Don't understand all the Nick Mason bashing - I mean you can't tell me that his drumming at Pompeii doesn't fit the music like a glove? His live drumming during throughout the 70's was outstanding and vastly under-appreciated.

Anyways, a some dark horse suggestions (but you definitely can't go wrong with your Hollywood 72's, Hamilton '75's and Oakland 77's either, which have outstanding quality and tight, powerful drumming - one thing I appreciate about the '75 and '77 shows is that his kick work was more prominent, for whatever reason. Also, he seemed to have developed a slightly tighter playing style around that period - less jazzy fills, maybe slightly more "rock"? I don't know, but both his early and late 70's drumming styles are worthy of note!

1971.07.01 Ossiach
1972.05.18 Berlin
1973.11.04 London late show

I'm particularly a fan of his late '72 drumming - the aformentiond Boblingen 1972.11.15 is a perfect example. Nice variety of styles due to the setlists at the time.

Lennyif
2011-05-07, 08:40 PM
I would also have to mention just about any King Crimson concert especially from 1973 - 1974 with Bill Bruford behind the kit. He was really coming into his own at the time and it is hard to find a bad performance even though Robert Fripp generously shares almost all of the band's live recordings! (WINK WINK PINK FLOYD, give THIS a try!)

www.dgmlive.com

This site has shows you can purchase, mostly, in amazing quality.

I would pick Pforzheim, Germany 3-31-1974... This date is about as aggressive as this aggressive band gets!