PDA

View Full Version : Master tapes found X amount of years latter

bfloyd4
2010-11-28, 03:04 AM
Reading these posts, it is kind of interesting how master tapes appear so many years latter.

I've seen some criticism of people being called tape horders, etc.

But the truth with some of the stuff is the tapes are just found. Which i think makes the hobby of collecting bootlegs kind of interesting.

I used to have a portable DAT machine. The last recording i made on it was one of the 2 recordings made of Roger in Montreal '99. I've got no idea where the master tape of that is, but it does not really make a difference since it was digitally transfered.

I also recorded the 2nd Giant Stadium show of Pink Floyd in '94. There are copies of that bootleg floating around, but that was before the advent of digital transfers, even though i recorded it on a DAT. The only problem is i got no idea for sure where that DAT tape is, and for that matter, i don't have a DAT machine anymore. (in fact if someone has access to a DAT deck, i'll give an effort towards finding the master tape with no promisses. I might not find it now, and then in 5 years, i'll move and then find it) It was raining up till the concert. I brought this huge golf umbrella. It did not rain during the concert, and i mounted the mic to the top of the umbrella and it was a great mic stand

I also recorded NIN Dec 3 '94 at the Boston Garden. Had to google the date just now. Several years ago i mentioned to someone with a DAT deck who was a NIN fan that i had the tape. He asked me to borrow it. He was nice enough to return the tape, but i was no longer a NIN fan, and for all i cared he could keep the master tape. But my google search just revealed the tape is out as a 2 CD set. So i would imagine that my tape surfacing for NIN was a nice gift for NIN fans. (that show was really interesting because the band got so ticked off that they walked off the stage aftet 15 minutes because of security and then came back at which point a free-for all broke out on the floor)

I also recorded a Neil Young concert with Booker T and the MGs at PNC Arts Center (that time called Garden State Arts Center). Blind Mellon and Sound Garden opened for them. I recored parts of Blind Mellon and Sound Garden. I know i gave some copies out of that, but i don't think i ever had a digital copy. Again, i have no idea where the master is. I am sure it is with the Pink Floyd Giant Stadium show.

There is also a Rolling Stones at Giant Stadium '94 i recorded, but security was right by us so the mic was low and i got a crappy recording... again, no idea where the master is. I don't think it is even worth listening to.

Then there is a Tom Petty at the old Boston Garden in either '94 or '95. For a few minutes security was standing next to me, and i looked at them, pointed to the mic, signaled for them to move away and not talk in front of the mic and strangley they complied. I got no idea of the sound quality. I think it was ok. And again i have no idea where the master tape is. But everyone around me gave me their addresses and all wanted copies of the tape and they all get copies. I have no idea if this is a traded tape. No idea if Tom Petty fans even trade tapes. In fact i have not listened to Tom Petty in about 10 years.....

Honestly i have no idea where these master tapes are. Also when i sold my portable DAT machine in around 2000, i gave the guy a bunch of blank tapes i had. i am pretty sure i did not give him any of my master tapes, but i am not 100% sure... Maybee i gave him some of those tapes and they leaked out......

Now that i finished rambling, i got some ideas where these tapes may be so i am going to give a quick look...

danlynch
2010-11-28, 08:15 AM
I've spent the weekend transferring 2 DAT tapes of recordings I made in 1997 and 1998. The 1997 DAT played flawlessly and transferred to my computer without a problem. The 1998 DAT played almost as well, with just one digital glitch corrected when a second replay transferred clean. I'm amazed that these DATs, which at the time were supposed to be a questionable archiving medium, ended up holding the data so well.

I also have a ton of old DAT masters that I'm going to be extracting over the coming months. I'm using a Panasonic SV-3800 via digital coax to my Audigy Soundcard.

I would be happy to do some of yours if you can find them, particularly the Roger '99 and the Floyd from Giants. PM me here if you're interested.

bfloyd4
2010-12-04, 03:54 PM
I also have a ton of old DAT masters that I'm going to be extracting over the coming months. I'm using a Panasonic SV-3800 via digital coax to my Audigy Soundcard.

I would be happy to do some of yours if you can find them, particularly the Roger '99 and the Floyd from Giants. PM me here if you're interested.

i did some digging. could not find the masters, but i think they may be in a box at my work. i'll check there.

The Roger '99 was transfered analogly (is that a word) directly from the DAT to a sound card so the quality that people have on that is pretty close to the master. I also lent the master tape out to a guy named Elliot (i believe) in Brooklyn who copied the dat. he had (or still has) multiple decks. He copied the Roger'99 show and then sent me the master tape back. So he may have traded that tape around.

I don't remember if i gave him the Giant Stadium tape to copy or not.

I'm also going to check with my friend who was friends with him to see if he still knows the guy who copied my tapes to see what copies he has.

DATs where great for the time but expensive as hell.

danlynch
2010-12-05, 07:04 AM
I just transferred an uncirculated DAT of John Prine from 1997 that played through flawlessly. I don't think I'd played that thing in 12 or 13 years and it archived error free.
Torrent here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=333600

My Panasonic SV-3800 has very few hours and its not finicky at all with old masters. I'll be doing more in the coming weeks. Trying to do only uncirculated recordings, since thousands of my DATs are by now well circulated on the web.

bfloyd4
2010-12-06, 12:47 AM
I just transferred an uncirculated DAT of John Prine from 1997 that played through flawlessly. I don't think I'd played that thing in 12 or 13 years and it archived error free.
Torrent here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=333600

My Panasonic SV-3800 has very few hours and its not finicky at all with old masters. I'll be doing more in the coming weeks. Trying to do only uncirculated recordings, since thousands of my DATs are by now well circulated on the web.

Tomorrow I'll check in a box at work where i think they may be.

What is the life of a DAT tape? When people are digging up these old analog tapes, at least if the tape degrades the recording is still there. These digital tapes..........

bfloyd4
2010-12-06, 01:48 AM
I just found a stack of master DAT tapes!!!

First one I found Pink Floyd 7/18/94 Giant Stadium
(tapes 1 and 2) so we got the complete show

I found tape 1 of Roger Waters 7/31/99. I'll look some more around for tape 2. I'll also ask my friend if he is still friends with the guy that made a digital copy of the tape. Regardless like i mentioned high quality copies off the master already exist. Many people have a conversion i did that i just fed the analog out of the DAT into my sound card)

Then I found Eric Clapton March 2 '94. I taped this at the Royal Albert Hall from the upper standing room section. My memory has this tape with a hum on it possible from it being over an electric wire or something. Perhaps you can clean this off. I hung the mic over the balcony so there should be no audience noise. In '94 there was no ability

I got Neil Young WIth Booker T & The MGs as his backing band with Sounds Garden and Blind Melon opening (i think i got pieces of Sound Garden (they premiered Black Hole Sun...not sure if i have that) (most of Blind Melon if i remeber correctly) It was at The Garden State Arts Center (now PNC arts center) I believe the date was June 25 '92.

Then i got a brand new unused DAT (my gift to you... I got no need for it) And I got a DAT cleaning tape (again my gift to you.)

I'll private message you to get the address to ship them to.

andrea82
2013-10-27, 11:54 PM
I just found a stack of master DAT tapes!!!

First one I found Pink Floyd 7/18/94 Giant Stadium
(tapes 1 and 2) so we got the complete show

I found tape 1 of Roger Waters 7/31/99. I'll look some more around for tape 2. I'll also ask my friend if he is still friends with the guy that made a digital copy of the tape. Regardless like i mentioned high quality copies off the master already exist. Many people have a conversion i did that i just fed the analog out of the DAT into my sound card)

Then I found Eric Clapton March 2 '94. I taped this at the Royal Albert Hall from the upper standing room section. My memory has this tape with a hum on it possible from it being over an electric wire or something. Perhaps you can clean this off. I hung the mic over the balcony so there should be no audience noise. In '94 there was no ability

I got Neil Young WIth Booker T & The MGs as his backing band with Sounds Garden and Blind Melon opening (i think i got pieces of Sound Garden (they premiered Black Hole Sun...not sure if i have that) (most of Blind Melon if i remeber correctly) It was at The Garden State Arts Center (now PNC arts center) I believe the date was June 25 '92.

Then i got a brand new unused DAT (my gift to you... I got no need for it) And I got a DAT cleaning tape (again my gift to you.)

I'll private message you to get the address to ship them to.

I'm interested on the Eric Clapton March 2 '94 tape.
I send you a private message.

Grotesque
2013-11-08, 07:36 PM
Three years later!!! :D