PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Help

DaFloyd
03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a buddy at work that lost 90% of his hard drive a few days ago, I was wondering if anyone knew of some good (windows freeware) recovery software that might help him out.
It seems that anything in My Documents, My Music and My Pictures is gone, but (some) stuff outside those folders is still there. Unfortunately most everything was in there. He thinks it was a power outage that caused it, but computer was turned off at the time, and he says he has a surge protector on the computer, as well as on the dial up phone line. A few items he has located in the recycle bin, and he did not throw them out. He also says he has updated virus definations. Seems wacky, but that is what he is left with. A couple of suggestions I had for him was to first go to "my computer" and see how much info is actually on the computer, he originally had 60GB used out of 180, so if he is down to 10GB used, the info is gone. If "my computer" says he still has 60GB used, then he should do a search for "*.mp3" and /or "*.jpg" to see if they got put somewhere else. A last resort, and with hesitations, he might re-install windows to see if that would help. I have never had to use any recovery software, so I am not sure if re-installing windows would hinder the recovery or not.
Anyone out there have any other ideas or suggestions?? Any help you could give me to help him out would be much appreciated. DaFloyd

Sispen
03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Does he know what the files where called? Because normally DOS will only wipe them and make a file eg called Pink.exe *ink.exe so its pretty easy to recover from there? S open a dos window and run recover:confused:

tjmack
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't know of any truly free software that would help, but there are DOS based progs that will read/write FAT32 and NTFS partitions. One example is:

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

He might be given the option to 'repair' during a reinstall, but a full installation of XP would wipe everything on the chosen main partition (usually C: drive)

T.

Floydiandolf
03-21-2007, 10:57 PM
You might try PC inspector file recovery which can be found here (http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm) or free undelete which can be found here (http://officerecovery.com/freeundelete/index.htm). When using these programs you MUST have an external drive which is used to store the recovered files. If you try to recover files to the disk itself files may be overwritten before they can be recovered.

Hope this helps.

Shine on, Dolf.

DaFloyd
03-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replys, I dl'ed ADRC Data Recovery Tools over the weekend and put that on a 60GB WD passport drive for him. He said it found some things, he had also dl'ed some other freeware tools, he had some luck, but not much. The 60GB was empty except for the recovery software, so he still has it and is running programs from the 60GB trying for more. I offered him access to my collection, our musical tastes differ some, but cross over so he will get some recovery from me. I think I have talked him into getting an external and backing things up, for $80 he can get WD 250 external, use freeware backup program (SyncBack), and always have duplicates. He said he would give more than $80 right now to have it all back and avoid the hassle of what he is going thru now. Thanks again for the replys, appreciate it and will give him the links and info. DaFloyd :D

sivle
03-22-2007, 12:55 AM
I had a hard drive go bad years ago and after trying a bunch of programs that didn't work to my satisfaction, I tried a program called getdataback and worked better than I could've hoped Recreated the folder structure, file names and everything so I can't recomend it enough. Its not freeware but maybe using a trial version might determine whether it could work in your friends case. Good luck.

Roughcut
03-22-2007, 01:02 AM
I lost 2 hard drives but recovered everything. I bought "Restorer 2000 Professional" online and it worked nicely. Easy to use and fast so it's not like you have to recover 200 GB all at one time. Yes, you must have another drive to write the files to. The drives I lost were remotes, not on the PC.

Someone once said that all hard drive storage is temporary. I think of it that way and back everything up to DVD data disc.

Good Luck !!