PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd on Dutch Radio 2 (august 4)

Gromek
2006-07-16, 11:17 AM
As part of the Radio 2 zomerfestival a performance will be broadcast.
Is is supposed to be the show from 1969 (concertgebouw, amsterdam).

So it may be nothing special, but just to let you know.

The program lasts about an hour, so i don`t think it will be a full show, but maybe some different source or sound quality.

Floydian1988
2006-07-24, 08:23 PM
Thanks, will try to listen

highhopes58
2006-08-01, 11:19 PM
I will record the broadcasting and if it is anyway interesting in some matter seed it in the weekend (have also a couple of other things in my sleeve to seed)

Cheers!
HighHopes58

highhopes58
2006-08-04, 11:09 PM
Hi All,

I just listened to a special brodcast of the Dutch Radio 2FM, which covered (part of) the Amsterdam 1969 concert from the original VPRO tapes (like the ******* seed going on right now). Although a part had to be cut out (of teh second set) due to broadcastng time limitations, it was a very nice progam, well cut and excellent sound quality. One hour after the broadcast I have ready and trimmed to burn on CD, incl. some artwork.

I have listed my findings below and if anybody is interested I can seed it as an alternative for *******'s edition.

Enjoy!
HighHopes58

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink Floyd - "No Smoking, Please!", Amsterdam 1969
Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 17th, 1969

Broadcasted from the original Radio Hilversum VPRO tapes by Dutch Radio 2FM on August 4th, 2006. The broadcast covers the whole first set (The Man) and a small portion of the second set (The Journey) of this concept concert, in which Pink Floyd plays:

1. Grantchester Meadows
2. Biding My Time
3. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
4. Cymbaline
5. The Massed Gadgets of Hercules
(Total playing time: 47.55)

These tracks cover the following parts of the concept concert:

The Man: Introduction
Work
Tea Time
Afternoon
Doing It
Sleeping
Nightmare
Daybreak

The Journey: The Labyrinth Of Anximenes
The End Of The Beginning

Lineage: Denon DCD 655 (tuner) -> Terratec 6Fire (44.1kHz/16bits) -> Adobe Audition 1.5 -> Audio CD (distibuted as FLAC)

Comments:
Although this CD doesn't contain the complete concert (for the complete concert see for instance The Swingin' Pig CD TSP-CD-052, which has been taken from the source reels from the soundboard), the 2FM Radio Broadcast was worthwhile. Firstly, it cuts in at the early beginning of the Dutch lady announcer, who - in Amsterdam - requests the audience NOT TO SMOKE! The missing parts, due to the limited broadcastng time avialable, have been cut out nicely, without any disturbing artifacts. Missing parts are: "Green Is The Colour" and "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".
The sound quality is excellent, as can be expected from radio sound engineering, although there has been heavy compression applied, which sinks the drums and organ to the background in the louder portions.
Enjoy!
HighHopes58

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gromek
2006-08-05, 10:32 AM
Recorded it too last night.
Just listened to it too.
I think i`ll keep it just for the sake of it.
Eventhough it`s not complete, it`s nice to have a souvenir of it.

I have a version of this performance from FREE RANGE PIGS records.
How does this one compare to the rest of the many versions released as a bootleg.
I don`t see that one mentioned here in the forum.
I haven`t burned it to a cd (2) yet, maybe i shouldn`t.
Should i burn the Amsterdam 69 version as uploaded here on yeeshkul?

I don`t need 5 different versions of one show.
Just want to burn the best one yet.

PS:
highhopes58 will you be uploading the covers on beeerlovers site?
it would be so nice.