PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side Vinyl Choice

alofter
01-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Looking to buy another copy of DSOTM on vinyl. I can go with new version or the Anniversery Edition. I've read the later is sourced from cd master where as the new one had production flaws and scuffs. Was wondering what you all thought about this? I own an old German quad that is my go to, however that one is put away and played sparingly. Really looking for the warmer pressing of the two. Thanks,Billy

felixstrange
01-22-2012, 04:27 AM
I got the 30th Anniversary pressing and was not particularly impressed with the sound quality. Also, the record had at least one pretty good dent from poor handling. I would recommend you skip it.

Of all the versions I own, I find the original Capitol pressings are some of the best sounding. I have a late 70s US pressing in very nice condition that is the one I usually throw on when I want to listen to the album on vinyl. It sounds wonderful. A lot of people feel the original EMI pressing is better, but I am personally used to the sound of the Capitol one. I find a lot of the 'audiophile' releases (30th Aniv., MFSL, JAMAC, etc.) aren't really worth the trouble.

At this point, I think that the 24-bit/96kHz stereo transfer from the Immersion box set is easily the best sounding release out there.