PDA

View Full Version : GE Smith playing @RNC ? Disgraceful.

minehead
2012-08-28, 07:20 PM
GE Smith's band playing the House Band role @RNC ? I hope that Roger Waters fires his sorry ass, I'll boycott any future album, live or studio, that has that sell-out on it. He cannot be that hard up for a gig...

mooncusser
2012-08-28, 09:24 PM
He's only allowed to appear at political events that Roger and you agree with? Seems pretty narrow-minded...

JackBob
2012-08-28, 10:18 PM
@Minehead: Spew your hatred elsewhere. If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you pick up a sign and join your buddies outside of the convention hall.

mooncusser
2012-08-28, 10:38 PM
wait until he find out that Robbie Wyckoff is also part of the RNC gig...
and realizes that Roger sold out ages ago

movement
2012-08-28, 11:34 PM
Did you ever consider that GE Smith is all about the music? The guy will play with anyone at any time.

JackBob
2012-08-29, 12:22 AM
' but if he associates himself with that "batshit crazy" political party he has certainly lost my respect...'

No, that convention is next week.

DrPhibes
2012-08-29, 01:38 AM
Anyone want to take bets on how long before this thread is closed?

I don't care about GE Smith playing for the GOP. If I want to wrangle about politics, I'll buy a copy of The Economist.

Morrissey, for example, has some political views that I strongly disagree with. That does not affect my enjoyment of "How Soon Is Now" or "Every Day Is Like Sunday."

mooncusser
2012-08-29, 01:56 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this thread goes off the rails and needs to be closed
but I'm reserving judgment for now and would be happy to be proved wrong

kardyl
2012-08-29, 05:17 AM
Nothing wrong with stating a political point of view - there are many things PF (and ass) have made their music about that I disagree with - but I don't go around hating them.

Each man has his price Bob - and yours was pretty low.

oldpink
2012-08-29, 12:05 PM
This must be that "new tone" we've been promised for the last twelve years, especially for the last three...and somehow see not so much as a hint of in evidence.

I saw Roger in September of 1987 at Indianapolis, exactly two weeks to the day before I left for U.S. Navy boot camp, having to listen to him tell me that my political views were not just wrong, but evil, yet somehow I managed to continue to buy the rest of the albums I needed to have to finally acquire the complete Floyd catalog (cassette and vinyl), then did it all over again with the first run of CD, then once again with the remasters, plus the DSotM and WYWH Immersion Sets.
And, quite unlike Roger and the OP, I didn't decide that Roger and Floyd by extension were evil sell-outs deserving of all my scorn and exhortations for boycotts.
Maybe that makes me stupid, and I need to develop a more narrow view of the world in order to hold my head high as a paragon of virtue and practitioner of righteous indignation.
:finger:

JackBob
2012-08-29, 02:44 PM
"Each man has his price Bob - and yours was pretty low"

So what's your point?

Alan smithee
2012-08-29, 03:30 PM
Being a Conservative doesn't bother me....The only thing that bothers me is how can you be in agreement with ideology of such draconian views on personal choice...I thought the whole point was 'government out of your personal life'...The Republicans are an intrusive bunch....The Democrats are no better.

stay the **** out of my personal business,thank you.

Having said that,GE,like everybody else,is entitled to his views and politics and Roger would be a giant asshole to fire him over it.

JackBob
2012-08-29, 11:18 PM
Intrusive as in allowing the killing of babies? I guess some people see nothing wrong with that but I do.

Jamming to GE Smith right now at the convention.

ravingandrooling
2012-08-29, 11:37 PM
Jackbob:

Downloaded: 224.31 GB

You are too ****ing lazy to press the thanks button more than 7 times in 224 GB downloaded but you now can't shut up about politics.

Whatever....................

darryll
2012-08-30, 12:43 AM
Why is everyone surprised?

I looked up his full name and it's

General Electric Smith :rolleyes:

oldpink
2012-08-30, 12:46 PM
Why is everyone surprised?

I looked up his full name and it's

General Electric Smith :rolleyes:

Not trying to make this any more politicized than it is already, and yeah, I get the joke, but GE is not the same company it was a few years ago, when Jack Welch was its CEO...far from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_R._Immelt#Obama_administration

darryll
2012-08-30, 12:59 PM
Not trying to make this any more politicized than it is already, and yeah, I get the joke, but GE is not the same company it was a few years ago, when Jack Welch was its CEO...far from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_R._Immelt#Obama_administration

So does that mean it's the democrats who've been bought and sold now?

Besides, David Letterman told me many years ago, they're bad, very very bad. :p

oldpink
2012-08-30, 07:59 PM
I love ya like a brother, but the Huffington Post?
How about putting up links from American Thinker or Fox News when the Dems hold their own convention?

JackBob
2012-08-30, 10:42 PM
You should stop getting your news from the Huffington Post. Ryan's comments were accurate. I know it's hard for some of you to accept but Ryan told the truth.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/politics/pol-fact-check-ryan-gm/index.html

I'll help you get started with your next post: Mitt Romney is a big fat liar! He lied about...

darryll
2012-08-30, 10:46 PM
You should stop getting your news from the Huffington Post. Ryan's comments were accurate. I know it's hard for some of you to accept but Ryan told the truth.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/politics/pol-fact-check-ryan-gm/index.html

I'll help you get started with your next post: Mitt Romney is a big fat liar! He lied about...

Truth, accuracy? You're not trying to suggest that a politician, whether a Donkey or an Elephant, knows anything about those two concepts?

My source...Darryll's ears. :finger:

mooncusser
2012-08-30, 10:48 PM
a reminder for this quickly sinking little piece of internet real estate...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this thread goes off the rails and needs to be closed
but I'm reserving judgment for now and would be happy to be proved wrong

orangemaze
2012-08-31, 12:57 PM
Politics not allowed on a Pink Floyd forum? What's next we can't talk about sex, drugs or rock and roll?

The Floyd are all about politics, starting from the 1st album, all the way to the latest work by ANY individual member. The real issue is being civil and respectful of each others opinion.

**** all that, we've got to get on with these......

Alan smithee
2012-08-31, 01:11 PM
Intrusive as in allowing the killing of babies? I guess some people see nothing wrong with that but I do.

Jamming to GE Smith right now at the convention.

\you lost me,Bob.

BTW :finger:

oldpink
2012-08-31, 01:16 PM
Right on, Maze.
btw...for anyone wondering why Huffington Post is a less than credible source:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/083012-624188-so-called-fact-checks-disguise-media-liberal-agenda.htm?src=HPLNews

Again, no liberal would accept a "fact-check" link for the current presidency if it came from the likes of Red State, American Thinker, or Free Republic, nor should he.
Who cares where a "news" story comes from?
Will you maintain that standard once there are pieces from conservative sites that purport to debunk the speeches coming from the other side next week?
I doubt it.
:rolleyes:

mooncusser
2012-08-31, 09:19 PM
Convention is over, time to close this lightning rod.