PDA

View Full Version : What to do with your collection in the event of your death

astanley
2012-12-16, 02:34 PM
Have any of you considered what to do with your collections in the odd chance that you die? Does your Significant Other know what to do (assuming of course that they are not Pink Floyd obsessives as well)? I'm not suggesting that the proceeds from selling my collection will set up a trust fund for my children, but I'd rather see my CDs go to someone who will appreciate them rather than selling promos and radio shows for $0.50 at a garage sale.

Has anyone set up anything with their families/estate? Any experience with the estates of others?

Adam

Pottel
2012-12-16, 08:37 PM
really interesting question....but no.

danlynch
2012-12-16, 09:20 PM
Freezer wanted all of his masters tossed in the garbage when he departed. I don't know if that actually happened when he did.

creamcheese
2012-12-17, 06:22 AM
I thought about that before but didn't find the definitive answer yet.
In the end it doesn't really matter, because I won't need the stuff on the other side of the fence...

smegma0
2012-12-18, 03:34 AM
Yeah, that was part of the conversation Ken and I had. He had a vast collection of scrapbooks and other Floyd arcana, all meticulously organized as only a German could. A couple dozen versions of the DSOTM album, a dozen or so versions of Obscured by Clouds, and many, many more... a stunning collection.

PatGoD67
2012-12-18, 12:37 PM
Is this thread prophetic?

My thoughts exactly. Grolsch was a mine of knowledge on PF, and seemed to know just about everything worth knowing. I'm so grateful to him for his generosity (special mention to the snippet of the Bath Festival MP3 recording).

May he rest in peace, and his collection go to someone who will appreciate it as much as he did :cheers:

Beechwoods
2013-02-04, 11:21 PM
Have any of you considered what to do with your collections in the odd chance that you die? Does your Significant Other know what to do (assuming of course that they are not Pink Floyd obsessives as well)? I'm not suggesting that the proceeds from selling my collection will set up a trust fund for my children, but I'd rather see my CDs go to someone who will appreciate them rather than selling promos and radio shows for $0.50 at a garage sale.

Has anyone set up anything with their families/estate? Any experience with the estates of others?

Adam

Good question :)

My wife knows that while she would get everything non-Floyd that I own, there are two specific people who would value and take care of my collection (such that it is) when I'm gone, and I would be pleased to know that if anything happened to me they would enjoy going through it all and probably do a better job of curating it than I currently find time to do!

There must be an awful lot of stuff that just gets lost or binned because people don't make provisions for when they're gone. I'm not so much worried about the official stuff, which many people will own, it's the tapes, books, posters, ephemera and files I've collected that I want to make sure have a good home.

ray2525
2013-02-05, 01:47 AM
fitting that here is where this question is asked that i have been asking myself a lot recently. some have already gone before me. some have chosen to vanish. till then i will seed as much and help others in any way I can. in the end, it will probably be ashes to ashes.

Ray

tonebloke
2013-02-05, 09:24 AM
I've had some deep and meaningful discussions with my son as to what to give to who when I leave this wonderful place I'm in. He has a small list which states who to contact either by email, surface mail or telephone, and what to give (IE: external drive, spindle, disk) to said person. He also has a list of sites to visit to announce my leaving, and to cancel my membership of said sites.

Can't do more than that! :cool: