PDA

View Full Version : grolsch - Rolf - Ossi is gone

wromanus
2012-12-17, 01:38 PM
Our beloved friend grolsch - Rolf - Ossi is gone today in the morning.
:tear: :( :worthy:

Here Rolf last time we met:
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192725&postcount=8

creamcheese
2012-12-17, 01:46 PM
Oh my God!

Rolf, you will be missed...
I visited him only 4 weeks ago.

wromanus
2012-12-17, 01:57 PM
****, unfortunately no mistake at all.
He was doing rather well.
We even planned to meet here in Roma, as often we did, for the coming Spring.

wromanus
2012-12-17, 02:00 PM
What happened? I spoke with him recently about the Wall footage he was working on. Was he battling an illness?
Ja, lung cancer...:(

tjmack
2012-12-17, 02:42 PM
Always sad to hear a fellow Floydian has passed away.

Thoughts go out to his family.

T.

ManFree
2012-12-17, 02:48 PM
Awwwwww!!! So So Sad
RIP........:tear:

BarneyMcGrew
2012-12-17, 03:19 PM
Terrible terrible news. No more opportunities to bestow further thanks. He'll be well remembered thats for sure, for me it'll be every time a certain very special tape he risked recording gets played. (I really hope he got to hear it all before he left). One last worthless thankyou :tear:, good luck on the final journey and RIP.

oldpink
2012-12-17, 03:33 PM
This is quite a shock.
Grolsch/Ossie was definitely one of the genuine good guys.
Such a shame to lose him at such a young age especially.
:tear:
RIP

sydzappa
2012-12-17, 04:27 PM
That's such a shock.R.I.P mate you will be missed. :tear:

PatGoD67
2012-12-17, 04:35 PM
His knowledge on Floyd matters was unmatched, his generosity unequaled.

It's strange how, although you've never met someone in person, you still feel upset when they've died...such is the strength of the Floyd community.

RIP, grolsch.

pict05
2012-12-17, 05:27 PM
My condolences to the family.
Thanks a lot for all you have done !!!
Rest in peace, Grolsch

poorh
2012-12-17, 05:29 PM
I just received the information about Rolf and I'm in shock. He was such a good and generous friend - he will be sorely missed! Thanks for everything!

RIP dear friend!

Sportpalast
2012-12-17, 07:09 PM
Saddest news to me in 2012!

we met a couple of times and we had fun, talk, music, tapes, beer and all this stuff. last time we saw us in berlin 2011.

he knew a lot of music and Life

he was so kind and generous!

i´ll miss you!

R.I.P Rolf!

all conndolences to you and your family!

Tom

Bert13
2012-12-17, 07:35 PM
Very sad to hear this, the world lost a very kind, helpful and knowledgable person. Rest In Peace Rolf. Hope they serve beer at the place where he's at, I'll drink a few to honour his memory.

ravingandrooling
2012-12-17, 07:46 PM
Fuuuck :tear:

radiowaves
2012-12-17, 07:48 PM
My heartfelt condolences to your family, Rolf. You were a great. It is a very sad time to hear of your death, and this community will miss you so much. One of a few members who have met their untimely death in the year 2012. Your memories are with us forever. May you rest in peace and may God's reverence be ever with you

:(

neonknight
2012-12-17, 08:04 PM
This is extremely sad news. I would like to extend my condolences to Rolf's family and close friends.

Rolf was firmly at the top of the Pink Floyd collecting tree, yet always generous with information and pleased to help. He told me he was unwell but always played it down and I had no idea about the gravity of his situation. We last exchanged emails a couple of weeks ago and he ended by asking me how I was getting on with tracking down a recording we shared a mutual interest in.

Rolf was a great guy with a huge passion for the Floyd. He will be greatly missed.

Ian

creamcheese
2012-12-17, 08:09 PM
My heartfelt condolences to your family, Rolf. You were a great. It is a very sad time to hear of your death, and this community will miss you so much. One of a few members who have met their untimely death in the year 2012. Your memories are with us forever. May you rest in peace and may God's reverence be ever with you

Seconded.
Rolf was a truely friendly and pleasant guy. Helpful and full, full of knowledge in regards to our concerns here, but not only.
You will be missed, Rolf.
Hope you just arrived in the backstage lounge to have a beer with Syd and Rick.
Maybe Frank is with you aswell. Rolf was a long time FZ fan aswell...

Pottel
2012-12-17, 08:14 PM
om effing g....
Grollsch, even though i, like so many others on here only met him through the innerweb was very fond of his posts, and his general knowledge, Floyd not in the least...strange that someone just recently posted that thing about preserving our stuff after we pass away some day, now that day has come for poor Grollsch.
my condoleances to his family and friends.
Is there anyone who knows anyone of his relatives that we can reach out to and pass our consolidated Yeeshkul condoleances to?
damn, RIP man...
have fun with Rick, Syd, Jimi and so many others, indeed...
hail hail...
really shocked...:tear:

Olly37
2012-12-17, 08:35 PM

So well written and so meaningful. I agree with what Radiowaves says.

RIP Grolsch.

This community will be missing something in future.

Peace always,
Olly.

hallucalation
2012-12-17, 09:13 PM
I'm not contacted with him often, but he's always had very deep knowledge about Pink Floyd's recordings

Rest In Peace Grolsch...:(

Homerpax
2012-12-17, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear this,
R.I.P. Grolsch

nipote
2012-12-17, 09:26 PM
No words :(

Colin N
2012-12-17, 09:34 PM
Very sad news, particularly for all his family and friends.

Another great Floydian leaves the stage...

Rmprog77
2012-12-17, 10:37 PM
Deepest condolenses to Grolsch's family and friends. Thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

vince666
2012-12-18, 12:05 AM
Condolences to Grolsch's family.

A Great loss for our community... very sad for that.:(

no words...

mooncusser
2012-12-18, 12:20 AM
Thoughts and condolences go out to Rolf's family and close friends. He'll always be remembered here -- and for the right reasons.

Shine On...
:tear:

goldenband
2012-12-18, 01:30 AM
Very sad to hear this awful news. Grolsch always seemed like the kind of guy I'd love to have a beer with, and his warmth, wit, and generosity were a perfect match for the depth of his knowledge and willingness to share it.

Our lives are too short to begin with, and early 50s is way too young for such a good guy...I hope he knew how much I, and others, appreciated everything he shared with us. Long will he be remembered.

Lennyif
2012-12-18, 01:37 AM
I am very sorry to hear this. He will certainly be missed. It's nice to read here that he was so universally loved. Never knew him but was certainly a fan of his work and enjoyed his contribution to our discussions. Rest in peace.

Eckoes
2012-12-18, 02:03 AM
Very sad news... My condoleances to his familly and his friends. A truly great Floydian left us to the dark side of the moon. :(

Forrester
2012-12-18, 02:05 AM
I was lucky enough to meet Rolf quite a few times - all totally unplanned. The last one was in London 2007 at a RW gig. We sat right across the aisle from each other, by complete chance.

He also recorded the 2007-05-10 Barbican show the same weekend.

He was such a nice guy.

smegma0
2012-12-18, 03:01 AM
I just got the call from Ken G. I met Grolsch/Rolf when Ken, his family, and I arrived to stay with him and his brother for the Berlin Wall show in July 1990. What an amazing event and an amazing, and amazingly generous and kind, and crazed man. I loved him. I'd seen him a couple times in the interim and always stayed in touch. I took my family to Dortmund at his invitation last May to see Rog do the Wall in Dusseldorf. He got us 4th row seats and premium parking (http://www.flickr.com/photos/obnoid/sets/72157627080637439/) so I brought my DSLR in. We stayed with him for a few days, baked some tapes, drank copious amounts of beer and wine. It was a completely amazing time. I'm devastated.

He was one of a kind. A great breadth of skills, knowledge, humor, and general Goodness. We'll miss ye, Rolf.

terrapin
2012-12-18, 03:26 AM
So much to say about our dear friend Rolf. The first time I met Rolf in person (we had already been trading tapes through the mail during the early '80s) we were sitting with him at the Oakland KAOS show, but only for a short while. Unfortunately I drained a bottle of some really clean liquid L and had a meltdown, so that by the end of the first set I was in the medical booth until the end (fortunately we flew to Vancouver so I still saw KAOS!) Later he talked us into coming to Berlin in 1990, getting our tickets and letting us stay at his brother's nearby -- an experience beyond unforgettable. We had our three kids at the show and they always thought of him as their very funny semi-nut-case uncle. Rolf was with us again in 2000 for Rog in LA, Irvine and Shoreline. We didn't see him after that until 2011, when he sent us $5000 as a gift to come meet him in London at the o2, where we saw all six nights including my birthday (thank you, Rolf!) Our daughter Cerrithwen was there as well, and asked me why he talked to himself and cheered all the way through the show when he was recording at the same time! Later he put HER up later in Germany, providing a hotel room and VIP tickets for Berlin and Dusseldorf. He was a great friend and arguably the biggest Pink Floyd freak on planet earth (largest collection, in any case) -- and only 54 years old from my calculations. The news is beyond belief, and at times like these we can only be so very thankful about all the great times we had together. Rest in peace, Ossi! Ken G.

gaobest
2012-12-18, 06:22 AM
Wow what a shock. Thanks to Mike/Ken for letting me know. I had planned to visit Rolf in January... recently emailed to ask him about a time frame. He first told me about being ill in September when I was in Paris with family, as he had planned to meet us.

I first met Rolf in 1994 and had the fortune to spend a couple of days with him every February (up to 2009), as I exhibited at a trade show in South Germany every year. I'd visit him and then go on to visit other friends that I also knew because of music ROIO/obsession...

It was thanks to Chris N (who I met in 1991/1992/1993), because he's the one who gave me Rolf's address in the first place...

Rolf even attended my wedding in Italy in 2006, which was the same weekend as a wedding in the Black Forest - what a trooper he was, going from Germany to Switzerland to Roma, then a train to Firenze, then a bus to Greve...

I will be forever grateful for our friendship. Even before our wedding he was like family to me.

Michael

Marooned65
2012-12-18, 06:59 AM
My warmest condolences to his family and friends.

blauwdruk
2012-12-18, 10:57 AM
OMG.. this is sad news indeed

condolances to all his beloved

Lizzy
2012-12-18, 11:26 AM
I liked Rolf so very much. I can´t believe I´ll never get one of his insane Christmas cards again.

thebelgiangnome
2012-12-18, 12:48 PM
Very sad new indeed...

My condoleances to the family and friends...

Rest in peace, Grolsch...

littlepieces
2012-12-18, 03:15 PM
I will always remember him for his generosity, spirit, and integral contributions to the Floyd community.

Here's hoping he is front row center at a great gig in the sky. :cheers:

smegma0
2012-12-18, 04:13 PM
Rolf even attended my wedding in Italy in 2006, which was the same weekend as a wedding in the Black Forest - what a trooper he was, going from Germany to Switzerland to Roma, then a train to Firenze, then a bus to Greve...

Michael

Haha! That was YOUR wedding, eh? I recall hearing about that epic trip from Rolf!

MarchingHammers
2012-12-18, 04:40 PM
My sincerest condolences go out to he and his family and friends. I didn't know him but I have heard of his dedication and hard work to the Floyd community in general. RIP and shine on... :(

-MH

Lizzy
2012-12-18, 05:42 PM
I loved that Rolf always sent his crazy X-Mas cards late... like in March. :D

Yeah, April 4th I got mine this year :) I still can't believe it... A lovely part of my personal Floyd history is gone.

LongTallEric
2012-12-18, 05:56 PM
Very sad news.
RIP grolsch.

kimirkim
2012-12-18, 06:59 PM
Very sad news. He was to me like Floyd oracle. Deepest condolences to His family.:tear:

watman
2012-12-18, 07:04 PM
Not knowing Rolf personally, despite coming from Germany as well, I just have read all your memories about him. And I am really sad because we have lost such a wonderful person! Rest in peace, Rolf, where ever you are!

lordfairfax
2012-12-19, 03:19 AM
Rolf my friend sorry to know that you have gone on to that Great Gig in the Sky. After 36 years of knowing you and sharing your friendship you will truly be missed.

gaobest
2012-12-19, 06:42 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone have an address for his family (siblings, parents)? He died so young, at 53, and had family that he saw rather frequently.

I'd like to write a card to his family.

I visited Rolf every February between 1994-2009 but never once asked him about meeting his family, or really pondered it; we talked about our families and he met my family at my wedding plus he met my parents when he was in SF in 2000.

If anyone has an address they can share with me, please PM me/etc. I can tell you parts of his address or phone number if you want verification.

I missed the grand opportunity to meet his family and other friends in 2009 because of the birth of my own child.

I am 99.99% sure he didn't have a facebook but I have a handful of pictures (plus a picture of him with my wife and me at our wedding) that I'd enjoy uploading somewhere, if there's a digital shrine for him. Then again being the private man he was, I'm sure he'd never want a digital shrine so as friends I suppose we really shouldn't do this sort of thing...

But he'd probably enjoy me writing a card to his family.

Thanks
Michael

Lizzy
2012-12-19, 07:05 AM
Is anyone from the Netherlands going to the funeral? Please pm me if I could come along with you...

servies
2012-12-19, 09:10 AM
My condolences to his family. I don't know him personally but he'll surely be missed around here and whereever he was present...
Somehow I always assumed he was Dutch with a username 'grolsch' (the beer originally from my hometown)...

fatoldpig
2012-12-19, 02:55 PM
this is a very very sad news. my deepest condolences to his family.

DrPhibes
2012-12-19, 03:05 PM
This is terrible news. He was a real salt of the earth guy, and I really appreciate everything he brought to this forum. I will definitely miss him.

Thanks for everything grolsch, your contributions will live on.

vleardi
2012-12-19, 05:00 PM
We even planned to meet here in Roma, as often we did, for the coming Spring.
Yeah, last time in Trastevere was very nice with him, Tom, Ron, you and the girls.
And day after in my house.... What a face he had looking at my collection.
We all gonna miss a lot this nice guy.

oneofmypages
2012-12-19, 08:35 PM
Sad news :( I didn't know Grolsch but he was a great contributor here.
My condolences to his family and friends.

johnjohnstone
2012-12-19, 09:30 PM
How sad

I never knew Grolsch, but enjoyed his postings. He seemed a very kind and thoughtful person, and shared his love of Floyd with us.

Sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Carmine Ragusi
2012-12-20, 01:39 AM
Is this the Rolf responsible for the 2.26.71 recording. If so, I didn't know him as well as others on this page but I traded with him in the 80s and he was a nice guy. Would be interested in knowing if this is the same individual. The name "Ossi" resembles his last name so I am preparing for bad news.

littlepieces
2012-12-20, 01:56 AM
Is this the Rolf responsible for the 2.26.71 recording. If so, I didn't know him as well as others on this page but I traded with him in the 80s and he was a nice guy. Would be interested in knowing if this is the same individual. The name "Ossi" resembles his last name so I am preparing for bad news.

1971-02-26 is from Marbal. Neonknight and I have been re-transfering some of his tapes and torrenting recently. He is alive and well. Beechwoods and I re-transfered Marbal's 1971-02-26 RtR a while back and it was torrented under the name 'Band29'.
I hope that clears up who is who for you.

Eckoes
2012-12-20, 08:01 PM
FYI, Rolf had a multi-camera edit of the 8mm Wall footage on 3 reels. The first two featured the entire show with pretty decent footage. The 3rd reel contained the "left overs" for which he had a test transfer done. Here's what he sent me in October.

http://www.*******.com/8mmWallTest.mpg

... This is lost forever.. it makes me sad. :( But less sad that the news of him passing. :(

Sportpalast
2012-12-20, 08:06 PM
... But less sad that the news of him passing. :(

i think so!!!!!

so we should respect this thread instead of posting footage or something like that!

IMHO

ammoj2
2012-12-20, 08:06 PM
Is there no way for his estate to ship "the goods" to someone who can care for them like *******? Maybe Yeeshkulians can donate to make this happen?

Anyway, rest in peace, Grolsch.

smegma0
2012-12-20, 08:44 PM
No disrespect intended. Rolf was a good friend of mine. If the mods want to delete my post then no problem. Just wanted to share the project that we were both working on recently.

I see nothing disrespectful about this! Rolf's fingers were in many pies; I love knowing more about him than I already did. The picture of a talented, super-smart, generous, humorous, and overall wonderful human being whom we will miss terribly continues to be drawn.

Mike

oldpink
2012-12-20, 08:58 PM
I'm quite sure that Rolf would want any of his Floydian treasures to be able to see the light of day.
It's our way to remember a true Floyd fanatic, one who will be badly missed, and I say that as someone who never had the privilege of meeting him in person, as it turns out many of you actually did.

wromanus
2012-12-20, 10:22 PM
I just want to tell you all, that the Rolf's material is secured and it never will be lost.

careful53
2012-12-20, 10:27 PM
Just read this and I'm really shocked... We used to trade live tapes starting back in the late 70's... at the time he was already the smart, expert collector who led me through the right way of collecting such things - i.e. quality against quantity.
In the recent years, as Ron remembered, some of us were in that fun tradition of expecting "Ossie's New Year animated greetings" to be in the mail around Easter...
I'm glad to have met Rolf in person two times, at Roger Waters' shows in Verona and Lucca in 2006... who could have been thinking, then, that we'd have been missing him so badly few years later? :(

goa
2012-12-21, 12:59 AM
Just read this, I'm so so sad...now will write in my lenguage

Querido grolsch, me sume en una profunda tristeza saber de tu partida.
Fuiste muy pero muy comprensivo y generoso conmigo, en los numerosos PMs que te envié.
Siendo un absoluto novato en el tema, demostraste gran paciencia y siempre te diste el tiempo para explicar detalles reveladores e interesantes.
Realmente te echare de menos.
Ojalá haya algó más allá donde estés bien con tus familiares amigos y nuestros amados músicos.

Your memory will shine on.

This death, like the one of andy, makes you wander how deep you could get in a relation, no matter no face, no real name.

A hug from here to wherever your soul is.

Elmer Fudd
2012-12-21, 01:47 AM
R.I.P Grolsch

sydzappa
2012-12-21, 03:23 PM
This death, like the one of andy, makes you wander how deep you could get in a relation, no matter no face, no real name.

A hug from here to wherever your soul is.

Beautifully worded.That touched my heart.

hokafloyd
2012-12-22, 08:08 AM
I'll see you in another world...R.I.P.

wromanus
2012-12-22, 11:31 AM
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showpo...25&postcount=8 (http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192725&postcount=8)

hopthepond
2012-12-22, 11:45 AM
This is awful news. I knew he had been ill with cancer for several years. He didn't like to talk about it much and only told a few people. We saw shows together all over Europe and the USA and he bought me the best steak ever one year in Germany,his animated Gif "Christmas" emails were legendary.

Last i heard from him was 2 months ago and he wasn't too sure he would be seeing any shows next year, i quizzed him why and all he would say was "i think you know" :(

I hope he's at peace, you'll be remembered fondly Rolf.

Hop

Progfan2112
2012-12-22, 12:51 PM
I didn't know Grolsch at all but reading through this thread makes me wish I did. It sounds like he was a great person. My heartfelt condolences to his friends, family and to all you Yeeshkulians.

PS. Is it me or has 2012 been a terrible year? So many great people have passed on it seems. :(

MOB
2012-12-22, 02:01 PM
I didn't know him personally, but I'm devastated by this sad news...
R.I.P. Grolsch, you'll be missed ! :( :( :(

gotta_be_crazy
2012-12-22, 02:27 PM
I didn't know him personally, but I'm devastated by this sad news...
R.I.P. Grolsch, you'll be missed ! :( :( :(

I second your words. Alll my respects to his familiy and his beloved people, rest in peace now.

Pittylabelle
2012-12-22, 07:47 PM
Sad, sad news for me today.

Never met Grolsch personally but we stayed in e-mail contact for some quite time.

In April this year I missed the German "Floyd Miscellany" TV-broadcast, so he don't mind to send me
a data-DVD of his digital recording by "snailmail", which I uploaded here shortly afterwards:

A Pink Floyd Miscellany 1967-2005 DVB-S TS-Stream Pro-Shot (grolsch-Pittylabelle)
http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27965

Yes, he was such a nice and straightforward guy - I wish I knew him in person.

My heartfelt condolences to his family.

R.I.P. Ossi/Rolf.

Blues_Ken
2012-12-23, 01:20 PM
So sad. Words fail me so I'll just offer condolences to his family and all who had the privilege of knowing him.

R.I.P.

buffalofloyd
2012-12-23, 05:53 PM
Damn, this is sad. So close to Christmas too. I condolences go out to his friends and family. I didn't know him on any level other than the forum but he seemed to have tons of knowledge about Floyd most of us don't. Again, this is sad news. I never like hearing news of people passing away. May he rest in peace now.

Jim

nolte
2012-12-24, 05:12 AM
Aw man!

RIP, grolsch :(

mara
2012-12-24, 09:17 PM
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

R.I.P. Rolf

rayall
2012-12-25, 09:29 AM
In 1999 we lost you for one night, and now we lost you forever.
Many fond memories and crazy things.
Ray

gaobest
2012-12-26, 02:07 AM
In 1999 we lost you for one night, and now we lost you forever.
Many fond memories and crazy things.
Ray

LOL. I remember that well. It was the 1st time I met Rolf (and you too Ray) and we had a good laugh over it the next day at my place. Jägermeister always wins. :p

Oh yes, Rolf told me about that crazy night when we saw each other during the year 2000.

On a different note there was Jan 1, 1999 around 8pm, when we met up at Bar Italia in London. We both arrived around that time, and learned that neither of us wore a watch or owned a cellphone. We had both spent New Year's 1998-1999 in London, albeit with different friends.

Michael

superted
2012-12-26, 10:41 AM
very sad R.I.P.:(

KingofCats
2012-12-27, 09:30 AM
Wow. Oh, man. Just found out. This is...not right.

He really was such a unique, special individual. I met him 5 or so times, and he was always so damned interesting, to say the least. His knowledge of PF was virtually limitless...I could pick the man's brains for hours.

I've been meaning to write him and say thanks since April 6th, which was when he sent his "season greetings" for *last* year...but I never got around to it.

I could go on, but my words really can't do Rolf any justice whatsoever. Not even close. Plus I'm too damned sad.

Shine on, my friend. For sure, you will never be forgotten.

Anthony

spammythepig
2012-12-27, 05:35 PM
Truly shocking, very sad news. He was such an important member of this community. Rest easy, Grolsch.

lucsam
2012-12-27, 05:37 PM
LOL. I remember that well. It was the 1st time I met Rolf (and you too Ray) and we had a good laugh over it the next day at my place. Jägermeister always wins. :p

Altho, not a good night for Herr Ossi, or for me. I'd never lost someone before. :(
We still talk about it, and Ray's short shorts the next day. :)

rayall
2012-12-27, 06:20 PM
Altho, not a good night for Herr Ossi, or for me. I'd never lost someone before. :(
We still talk about it, and Ray's short shorts the next day. :)

hey man was pretty warm that day
try to figure out who you are, i guess j.r., sorry if i am mistaken, altough its very sad , but i also want to preserve all the nice memeries we share. (like my shorts)

pigsunderground
2012-12-28, 12:58 AM
I am totaly shocked, I just saw the news, meet Rolf at JR`s and *******s in 99 and again we literally ran into each other at Shoreline in Mountian View in 2000. Loved his e-cards. A great generous man, we will miss you greatly.

y2000jas
2012-12-28, 01:14 AM
I know that Grolsch was considered one of our "elite" members (if I can use that term here), but I only interacted with him once briefly on this board.

I am someone who likes humor bassed on word play. There was a thread involving Hopthepond and Grolsch where someone was trying to write "hoping", but spelled the word with two "p"s, causing the word to actually be "hopping". I made some sort of joke that while we're still "hoping" for whatever it was, I hoped that Hopthepond would keep on "hopping". Grolsch replied that in that case then he guessed that he should "keep on Grolsching".

I am sad to hear that our friend and mate "Grolsches" no more.

I've had two members here express an interest in meeting sometime. Maybe I'll actually take them up on it.

Intruder
2013-04-17, 10:11 AM
I'm literally heartbroken and devastated in learning (here, today) of Rolf's passing.
I just joined to share my grief on the loss of a truly great great guy!
We met through a mutual friend over 30 years ago in Aachen. And kept in higly irregular - but always deeply heartfelt - touch ever since.
We never "traded", but I would get for him Italian Floyd records or magazines for him whenever he needed, and he simply sent me Gabriel & Hammill tapes he thought I might like. Never on a one-for-one basis.
We did see a few shows together (King Crimson in Koln, Gabriel in Dortmund, Hammill in Bochum and more) and I remember staying at his place more than a few times on my German PG tours.
My apologies for this outburst of grief, but I didn't know where else to express it....

Let it out and move on
Missing what's gone
They say life carries on
They say life carries on and on and on

vleardi
2013-06-17, 10:51 AM
It was 6 months ago Rolf left us to join Rick and Syd.

mark2114
2013-11-18, 01:35 AM
Great sadness.
Hung out at the Earls Court and O2 DSOTM shows and the Gilmour Royal Albert shows with Rolf and Ian great memories.
Of all places we met up after the Earls Court shows at a Holiday Inn, along with others we drank all of the Grolsch beer they had:)

neonknight
2013-12-17, 09:31 PM
It's a year today since Rolf passed away. Still a great sadness.

vleardi
2013-12-17, 10:54 PM
It's a year today since Rolf passed away. Still a great sadness.

Yes, it was one year ago and I was at that meeting mentioned in the Rolf's tribute here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107971

SkUnKaDeLiC
2014-04-17, 08:49 AM
RIP, Grolsch.. hope you're in the great gig in the sky... we had some good discussions. Very sad to hear (as TJ said on page 1) when a fellow Floydian, or anyone decent at that, passes.

vleardi
2014-12-17, 11:44 AM
Our beloved friend grolsch - Rolf - Ossi is gone today in the morning.
:tear: :( :worthy:

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192725&postcount=8

Rolf is gone exactly 2 years ago.
In the evening a meeting here in Roma (WRomanus home) with some REAL good PF fans in his memory.

neonknight
2014-12-17, 12:24 PM
Rolf is gone exactly 2 years ago.
In the evening a meeting here in Roma (WRomanus home) with some REAL good PF fans in his memory.

I hope you have a good evening. Please raise a glass for Rolf for me.

vleardi
2014-12-18, 08:38 PM
I hope you have a good evening. Please raise a glass for Rolf for me.

It was great as usual. You were named when we raised our (many) glasses for Rolf :-)

neonknight
2014-12-18, 10:29 PM
It was great as usual. You were named when we raised our (many) glasses for Rolf :-)

Thank you :cheers:

tjmack
2014-12-19, 03:51 AM
And a glass raised by all us PRETEND fans too, to Rolf, and not just him, but all those who have gone before us.

Sleep well friends.

Roscoe59
2014-12-19, 04:09 AM
And a glass raised by all us PRETEND fans too, to Rolf, and not just him, but all those who have gone before us.

Sleep well friends.

Hear hear!

oldpink
2014-12-19, 05:00 AM
Rolf was a superfan's superfan.
RIP, man.

tjmack
2014-12-20, 12:57 AM
Rolf was a superfan's superfan.
RIP, man.

Aye, but a PF fan is a fan whether they've been a fan for...

One day...
One week...
One month...
One year...
47years and counting.

We are all fans - and don't let anyone tell you that they're better than you.

vleardi
2014-12-27, 12:27 PM
Aye, but a PF fan is a fan whether they've been a fan for...

One day...
One week...
One month...
One year...
47years and counting.

We are all fans - and don't let anyone tell you that they're better than you.

hear hear...
hahahahahahahahahahaha
It's incredible how words may be misunderstood.
That _REAL fans_ was a joke for some young Roman fans.
They tried to organize a meeting couple of months ago and it was a failure in terms of info and material.
Some of them were with us so they well learnt how to do... ;)

TJ in this case shows a certain coda de paja! (really don't know how to translate this typical Roman sentence) :-)

oldpink
2014-12-27, 06:24 PM
Definitely in agreement with TJ about fans.
The point about Rolf was that he was a long-time fan who used his love of the band to make more fans, while at the same time using his extensive knowledge to keep a mysterious band's history as accurate as possible.
And he did all that without being an elitist.
I wish I could have met him in person.

Alan smithee
2015-02-10, 08:03 PM
I was introduced to the band as a kid when 'Money' got a lot of airplay.

The first Floyd album I bought was 'A Nice Pair' and with that there was no turning back.

I'm forever grateful to everyone and anyone who have been nice enough to share some great moments I was not fortunate enough to have lived.

thebelgiangnome
2015-02-10, 08:57 PM

The first Floyd album I bought was 'A Nice Pair' and with that there was no turning back.

I'm forever grateful to everyone and anyone who have been nice enough to share some great moments I was not fortunate enough to have lived.

Well said !

Cyberspace
2015-02-10, 09:40 PM

"A Nice Pair" were my first LPs´too! Strange because ´75 was "Wish You Were Here" and "DSOTM" much more popular, but I wanted to hear or have the early ones first. Maybe that´s the reason why I´m into the early stuff more than anything till today? Was an kind of heavy embossing I believe now....

And also I´m endless grateful to people like Grolsch and others which kept the tale going till today.

vleardi
2015-12-17, 11:02 PM
Ossi! :( :( :(

Lennyif
2015-12-17, 11:43 PM
Ossi! :( :( :(

I made a little mix of things from tapes he shared just last week. "Grolsh's Secrets" what a guy he was.

vleardi
2016-12-18, 02:28 PM
Another year is gone without Rolf. It was yesterday.... :(

oldpink
2016-12-18, 07:43 PM
Another year is gone without Rolf. It was yesterday.... :(

Gone, but not forgotten.:(

pinktree1
2017-11-06, 04:37 PM
http://www.martin-geyer.com/floyd/1981/1981.mp4

Skinny12
2017-11-06, 04:42 PM
Not even knowing him, this makes me sad.

Alles Gute da oben, Rolf!

Nils

neonknight
2017-11-06, 07:06 PM

Great post. My command of German is pretty poor but I enjoyed it none the less.

Pittylabelle
2017-11-06, 08:39 PM
Thanks for this fantastic post!

I've made a torrent out of this clip:
Pink Floyd - The Wall 1981 in Dortmund, new emerged Short Report, 2006, 5.26 Pro-Shot
http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?40391-Pink-Floyd-The-Wall-1981-in-Dortmund-new-emerged-Short-Report-2006-5-26-Pro-Shot

That's how it was 25 years ago - Pink Floyd in the Ruhr area of Germany

Rolf Ossenberg tells, among other things, that he attended in 1981 at all 8 Pink Floyd concerts in
Dortmund - in London he was already but that with Dortmund was a matter of honor. For that he had
plundered his student account. One of his trophies from the shows in Dortmund are the original
drumsticks by drummer Nick Mason. Another hard-won trophy - an original cardboard brick of one of
the shows. However, this was accidentally disposed in the trash by his mother, three years earlier.

Next are short film sequences of the then construction work, the fans and a fragment of a Roger Waters
interview 1981 in Dortmund.

Thanks again!

Roscoe59
2017-11-06, 09:23 PM

Thanks for sharing this!!!

kbrubaker
2017-11-26, 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing this!!!

Yes, it was very nice to see footage including this pillar of the community.

vleardi
2018-12-17, 10:10 AM
A Candle and a Thought for our beloved friend Rolf-Ossi-Grolsch.
Six years today about this time.
:(:(:(

lordsnooty
2019-06-06, 07:21 PM
Today would have been Rolf's 60th birthday. He is greatly missed.

blauwdruk
2019-06-06, 09:07 PM

Indeed, he is...

neonknight
2019-06-07, 03:33 AM

Goldenband and I raised a glass to Rolf this evening.

buffalofloyd
2019-06-07, 04:43 AM
Cheers to one of the good ones! :cheers:

pinktree1
2019-06-19, 04:07 AM
Rolfs collection was donated to the university of Freiburg.

https://www.pulse-and-spirit.com/news/rolf-ossenbergs-pink-floyd-sammlung-geht-an-die-universitaet-freiburg/#comment-77385

buffalofloyd
2019-06-19, 07:13 AM
Rolfs collection was donated to the university of Freiburg.

https://www.pulse-and-spirit.com/news/rolf-ossenbergs-pink-floyd-sammlung-geht-an-die-universitaet-freiburg/#comment-77385

Wow, I wonder what will become of all of it now. What does a University/College do with all of this stuff, just let it sit and collect dust, preserve it all digitally in some way or another? I sure hope so, it would be a real shame if none of this material is available to the masses.

neonknight
2019-06-19, 01:24 PM
Could a German member of the forum make enquiries with the university and report back please?

Bert13
2019-06-20, 10:20 AM
http://kalliope.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/de/search.html?q=ossenberg

The question is, do they have his tapes? Looks like they don't.

Bert13
2019-06-20, 12:12 PM
Just received a PM at Dime from an old trading partner of Rolf who's got word from Rolf's brother:

no music as audio in any form as "they -> the archive" were afraid of copyright laws
thats what he says
the music still remains with the family

The question remains why they seem to have no problems with the video material.

blauwdruk
2019-06-20, 01:04 PM
Just received a PM at Dime from an old trading partner of Rolf who's got word from Rolf's brother:

The question remains why they seem to have no problems with the video material.

And what they will do with the audio tapes...

Bert13
2019-07-10, 08:21 PM
Badische Zeitung, July 10.

https://www.badische-zeitung.de/freiburg/wie-die-uni-freiburg-an-die-sammlung-eines-pink-floyd-fans-aus-nrw-kam-x1x--175144887.html

Somebody else will have to do the translation, I have no time for it right now.

neonknight
2019-07-10, 08:33 PM
There was a 15 minute radio special on Rolf's collection this afternoon on SWR1-FM, Germany. Could anyone capture it and post here?

Pittylabelle
2019-07-10, 08:54 PM
Badische Zeitung, July 10.

https://www.badische-zeitung.de/freiburg/wie-die-uni-freiburg-an-die-sammlung-eines-pink-floyd-fans-aus-nrw-kam-x1x--175144887.html

Somebody else will have to do the translation, I have no time for it right now.

I think Google translators should also do this to understand the content. I'm too lazy to translate that into proper English now.

In any case, Super 8 movies are not mentioned there. However, there are more than 500 video cassettes. Maybe someday Ossi dubbed his recordings of the "The Wall Concerts" from Dortmund on VHS video. Who knows?

Excerpt: "There are also more than 500 video cassettes with concert recordings."

OK, living in Germany I could actually contact the university, but I do not promise myself much. And I do not think anyone will see through all 500 video tapes for me. According to the article, they did not even have enough space in the basement of the building to stow everything.

It would have been better to give it to a fan or friend of Ossi. Then it would have landed here sooner or later. What should such a stupid study of pop music by a single collector already bring us? We already know everything.

Now his collection will probably dare in the cellar.

http://www.pr.uni-freiburg.de/pm-en/press-releases-2019/university-of-freiburg-receives-pink-floyd-collection

Have A Cigar
2019-09-20, 07:49 PM
I think Google translators should also do this to understand the content. I'm too lazy to translate that into proper English now.

In any case, Super 8 movies are not mentioned there. However, there are more than 500 video cassettes. Maybe someday Ossi dubbed his recordings of the "The Wall Concerts" from Dortmund on VHS video. Who knows?

Excerpt: "There are also more than 500 video cassettes with concert recordings."

OK, living in Germany I could actually contact the university, but I do not promise myself much. And I do not think anyone will see through all 500 video tapes for me. According to the article, they did not even have enough space in the basement of the building to stow everything.

It would have been better to give it to a fan or friend of Ossi. Then it would have landed here sooner or later. What should such a stupid study of pop music by a single collector already bring us? We already know everything.

Now his collection will probably dare in the cellar.

http://www.pr.uni-freiburg.de/pm-en/press-releases-2019/university-of-freiburg-receives-pink-floyd-collection

Roscoe has the Dortmund 81 footage. Just so you know that it's in safe keeping.

Roscoe59
2019-09-20, 08:10 PM
Roscoe has the Dortmund 81 footage. Just so you know that it's in safe keeping.

No, I don't.

surfling
2019-09-23, 07:40 PM
Hey all,

somehow I had missed these latest posts about Rolf's collection until last weekend...

So I decided to search the web a little more and found this page in English by the University, listing the general contents of the collection (well, an overview at least), and explaining what they are hoping to do with it.

And it has the contact details for the responsible Associate Professor, in case someone here feels compelled to make further inquiries:

Roscoe59
2019-09-23, 07:42 PM
Hey all,

somehow I had missed these latest posts about Rolf's collection until last weekend...

So I decided to search the web a little more and found this page in English by the University, listing the general contents of the collection (well, an overview at least), and explaining what they are hoping to do with it.

And it has the contact details for the responsible Associate Professor, in case someone here feels compelled to make further inquiries:

As it was previously mentioned, I think that Rolf donated only legit stuff and none of his audio/video bootleg collection.

vleardi
2020-12-20, 02:55 PM
The 17th of December it was 8 years without Rolf:(