PDA

View Full Version : If CDs cost 8 where does the money go?

stuartw
2013-08-26, 05:50 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23840744

Interesting article with a quote by Nick Mason

sydzappa
2013-08-27, 09:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23840744

And now over to our Financial Correspondant,Barney McGrew, in our Granchester studio.....Barney,how does this affect the average Floyd fan? Barney? Barney? Oh...it seems we're having a little technical difficulty at the moment,we'll try to get back to Barney later in the programme,in the meantime,here's some music....

:16: :23: :21:

BarneyMcGrew
2013-08-28, 11:57 AM
Barney here on a chilly but sunny Cambridgeshire morning. Sorry about the earlier problem Sydzappa, our technicians seem to have fixed things for now. Well, I've been out and about this morning talking to the Immersion Set, thats right the people who live in and around Mugland, it could be anywhere in England really, a typically leafy suburb of middle England and I asked them what they thought about this move by the music industry to persuade us we need to be paying more for our music.

BarneyM : Good morning sir, and how do you feel about the alleged news this morning that Dave Gilmour had to give up cocaine because he was only getting a cut of the 1.04 Pink Floyd get for each CD sold.

JoePubic : Well if its true I think its outrageous, even in these austere times I'd be willing to pay the extra pound. He's a fantastic guitarist and its outrageous this should happen. Someone needs to tell the government, how can he possibly produce decent retro psychedelia without a line of coke every now and then? No wonder the recent albums are so bad. You can't buy anywhere near enough cocaine for only 1.04 a CD.

BarneyM : Thankyou sir, Hello Madam and what's your view on the news ABBA are only getting 1/8 of what you pay for a CD?

UnidentifedLady : Leave me alone or I'll call the police.

BarneyM : Hello sir, must be much easier for you when the weather's like this? Roger Waters is being forced to tour constantly at a loss to promote his CD's and he only receives 1.04 for each CD sold? Is that fair?

TrampOnMuglandParkBench : 1.04? Too much, too much. I sit here every day and I hear the best music in the world and its all free. That stuff those "pop tarts" make with this new technology and electricity and stuff isn't music, its contrived noise pollution thats what it is and they infect those naive ripening teenage minds with the filth from inside their corrupted heads, its a bleeding outrage thats what it is. Its a form of teenage rape thats what it is. If I had my way I'd have all of them shot, "pop tarts" not teenagers, unless they were teenage "pop tarts" of course.

BarneyM : Thankyou for that interesting and seemingly enlightened view sir, have a nice day, oh look here comes a busker. Is it? It's two of them one with Bodhran and one with a violin, ahh what a lovely Celtic jig. Wow thats got some real energy.

TrampOnParkBench : They're great aren't they, lovely talented people and they give me something out of their hat when they've finished too. Keeps me alive it does.

BarneyM : Good morning young man, how are you today, do you think we should be paying Lady Gaga more for her, er "music"?

Student : What? Oh yeah, Uh. I don't really know, I don't have opnions, too much hassle, they just cause too much trouble - opinions, nah I don't have any. I suppose If I like it I'll pay whatever as long as everyone else doesn't think its too much its probably fair.

And there you have it. The views of the Immersion Set from Mugland. Personally I though the CD was obsolete, haven't bought one in years, I think the real question on everybody's lips is how much did Pink Floyd get for 3 marbles, a scarf, some coasters, a bit of random tat and a cheap cardboard box.

What is Pink Floyd anyway?

stuartw
2013-08-28, 12:57 PM
I posted the same link in this thread http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?31572-If-CDs-cost-%A38-where-does-the-money-go 2 days ago!!

BarneyMcGrew
2013-08-28, 03:52 PM
I posted the same link in this thread http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?31572-If-CDs-cost-%A38-where-does-the-money-go 2 days ago!!

Amazing how the chubby-but-not-cute one's memory improves so fantastically when it comes to money matters. Its a shame the music and us mean nothing at all to him.

Grotesque
2013-08-28, 04:05 PM
Tbf, I suppose it is his livelihood... ;)

sydzappa
2013-08-28, 04:59 PM
Nice job BM....continued the theme and everything.....thanks for making me laugh.....as of tomorrow I'm unemployed, so I needed that.

'Leave me alone or I'll call the police.' :D

Sorry stuartw, for stealing your thunder...it had such a delicate sound I couldn't hear it.

mooncusser
2013-08-29, 02:57 AM

...and now they are merged into one thread :-)

BarneyMcGrew
2013-08-29, 09:23 AM
Nice job BM....continued the theme and everything.....thanks for making me laugh.....as of tomorrow I'm unemployed, so I needed that.

Sorry to hear that Sydzappa. Oh well the news says some shoots of recovery are showing and you're well located at least. If you've paid your stamp you can get job seekers for 6 months at least, not much but it helps and you don't have to give them any of your financial details for that like with social security. When I've lost jobs in the past I've always felt ecstaticly free for a short a while, a real buzz but if you don't get anything quickly just keep busy and play a drum! Good luck.

sydzappa
2013-08-29, 03:15 PM
Thanks for those kind words.I've taken 'voluntary' redundancy,so I've got a few grand to tide me over for a bit.
I'm legally bound not to say the reasons why, but freedom? F**K YEAH!!!!!!! :sexy: :bounce: :yourock:

BarneyMcGrew
2013-08-29, 06:51 PM
Thanks for those kind words.I've taken 'voluntary' redundancy,so I've got a few grand to tide me over for a bit.
I'm legally bound not to say the reasons why, but freedom? F**K YEAH!!!!!!! :sexy: :bounce: :yourock:

Thats great! I'm sure you know but in case not, your redundancy payment doesn't affect your right to job seekers allowance you can still claim it. Or at least thats the way it was a few years back. You have to go to the Job Centre every few weeks, but I used enjoy baiting the stuffed shirts in there and sometimes they were stuffed very nicely actually :sexy:.

saygeddylee
2014-04-20, 12:05 PM
I don't want to work. I just want to bang on my drum all day...