PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice please!

amalyc
07-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Hey,

newbie here, not to Floyd but to this incredibly fantastic site! I feel like a blind man who has been given the gift of sight, talk about sensory overload...

Only problem is since I am starting from scratch, I need everything! and I do have a couple questions on what is the most effective way to keep my ratio up...

The first DVD I dl'ed was the Gilmour Massey Hall #1 (which I was at!), by the time it was done I was already over 1.0 and since there was plenty of other seeders I thought I might move on to another title.

Moved on to the spectacular Waters at Cork and by the end of that I was only at .70, and I was unsure whether to leave it seeding as again there seemed to be plenty of seeders already (left it for a bit anyway).

So I am unsure if I should seed things (once I have them) that have plenty of seeders already, or try for those that have few seeders? to keep my UL/DL ratio healthy?

I have moved on to Gilmour Hammersmith 84, and it really is crawling along now, with transfer rates around 2-3KB (before I was getting 50KB and up).
Is it slowed to a trickle because my ratio is unhealthy? because the stats say there are still several seeders...?

I have lots more bandwidth than that, so can I do multiple torrents at once (i would assume yes, reading the posts around here)? Do I open multiple bit torrent clients? or does one client open multiple files? sorry for the dumb questions, but it seems I don't know how to most effectively use my time/bandwidth to max my downloads and my uploads at the same time.

thanks for any advice you may have!

and a geeneral huge thanks to the creators of this site, and the people who spend their time and effort providing this material!!!!!

tjmack
07-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Read the FAQ. There's also links to basic bt info too. If you want to run multiple torrrents it's best to use one of the more modern clients such as uTorrent and Azureus. You can also control torrent bandwidth allocation with them.

T.

amalyc
07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
thanks!

i did read the FAQ, its just not real specific on what is the best strategy to share. Neither are the external BT info sites i looked at. Also I wasn't sure if it was frowned upon to DL more than 1 torrent at a time, etc. I did manage to get my older client uploading & download different torrents at the same time, but i will check out the newer clients as you suggest. :)