PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Jim Canale (Free Range Pigs)

Roscoe59
2015-08-13, 10:00 PM
I was very sad to learn of the passing of one of our Floyd friends last week, Jim Canale. Jim was part of the Free Range Pigs team who most notably brought us Roger's Berlin 90 tour rehearsal audio (not from Berlin but recorded earlier in London). I met Jim in Denver 2008 when a bunch of us got together for Roger's DSOTM show. He seemed like such a happy, likable guy and we really hit it off at lunch one day. We were joined by his FRP partner Mark G. and had a great time. From what I understand Jim overcame some hard challenges in his earlier life to become very successful and lived a healthy lifestyle.

I'm going to miss Jim, who was a Facebook friend for a long time, and I'm sure that our community are thankful for his many contributions which are still available for download here on Y!

RIP, Jim. Wish you were here.

oldpink
2015-08-13, 10:32 PM
Definitely sad to lose another dedicated Floyd fan, one who loved the music so much to contribute some very nice RoIOs.
I have "Broadcasting from Europa 1" and "Complete Concertgebouw" from them, so I believe I'll put them on going to and from work.

tjmack
2015-08-13, 11:09 PM
Shine on.

Hope you're in a better place.

zososhane69
2015-08-14, 12:34 AM
Pints up and Shine on.

triply
2015-08-14, 03:38 AM
I loved the FRP releases. The Wall London Rehearsals is something I prefer to the actual Berlin show. I remember their releases of David's London shows from 2002 and of course, Meltdown.
They had stellar cover-art, even for shows that didn't sound too good - like The Last Bell. And thanks to them for the extra couple of minutes of silence on the Amsterdam '69 show!

FRP releases were something I was keen to have all of. It really is sad that James has passed away. RIP Jim. Thanks for all the music.

Heavy Meddle
2015-08-15, 11:28 AM
RIP Jim! Even thought i never met him it is sad to read that a floydian has passed away...

jchrist1946
2015-08-15, 12:31 PM
RIP Jim. I remember I was in the sixth grade, about 12 years old, when 'The Final Cutting' by FRP was released. That was an exciting day! I remember it vividly.

ManFree
2015-08-17, 09:33 PM
RIP Jim, although I never met you, you`re remembered every time I play a FRP release, THANK YOU!
Not to hijack this remembrance thread, but if PF Management don`t share their stuff soon,
They will no longer have a "core" fan group to share it with!! Once again, See you on The Darkside Jim

buffalofloyd
2015-08-30, 04:50 PM
Sad to hear about this, I hate hearing this kind of news. I liked a lot of their releases early on and the artwork. Condolences to the family :(

Theyodaddy
2015-09-18, 10:41 PM
I have enjoyed the work of FRP and hate to see our community take another hit with the loss of another one of our members. My condolences to his family .
Truly another great loss for us all .

agibaut
2015-09-30, 01:56 AM
Very sad to hear of Jim passing. Through him, and by a series of chance events, I entered the Floyd roio world which was unknown to me at the time. I own every FRP release and I'll be forever grateful to him and his FRP colleagues. Shine on Jim!

smallerishpig
2015-10-23, 06:57 PM
Hey, I'm Jim's daughter. I googled him and free range pigs cause i don't have ANY of the recordings that FRP put together. I don't know how to access them, i suck at computer stuff and downloading... so I apologize, I'm sure I won't be contributing much to you're collection. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to access these recordings? I just want to listen to the bootlegs that my dad worked on. I love Pink Floyd and I've been out of new PF stuff since I was like 18. I also feel like it could bring me closer to my dad, whatever and wherever he is now. Please help!

oldpink
2015-10-23, 11:02 PM
Hey, I'm Jim's daughter. I googled him and free range pigs cause i don't have ANY of the recordings that FRP put together. I don't know how to access them, i suck at computer stuff and downloading... so I apologize, I'm sure I won't be contributing much to you're collection. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to access these recordings? I just want to listen to the bootlegs that my dad worked on. I love Pink Floyd and I've been out of new PF stuff since I was like 18. I also feel like it could bring me closer to my dad, whatever and wherever he is now. Please help!

I'm sure there will be others who will jump in and provide you the torrent links to some of the other FRP releases, but I can contribute "Broadcasting from Europa 1" and "Complete Concertgebouw," "One of these Days in Bradford," and "The Final Cutting" should you like.
I changed the filenames around to the way I like them, but the underlying WAV (audio) files are still exactly as originally produced.
I poked around, and the Pink Floyd (dunno about solo Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, sorry) ROIOs that I was able to determine were also put out by FRP were as follows:
Getting Better All the Time
Pavillion de Pigs
The Lost New York Tapes

I'm pretty sure there are some other Pink Floyd releases from FRP, but I can't find a comprehensive list other than a random site that gave me what I have provided here.
I'm also dead certain that FRP made some releases of solo material, but I have no idea what those would be, so hopefully someone can provide you a complete list, if not torrents.
All you need to do to download them (assuming that you don't know torrent yet) is to get yourself a copy of a decent bit torrent client, such as utorrent (www.utorrent.com) or (my favorite here) Vuze (http://www.vuze.com/), click on the link with the torrent file in the posts I will link to below, then allow your bit torrent client to open them.

Here are the links to the four torrents I made up:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?36136-FRP-(Free-Range-Pigs)-Broadcasting-from-Europa-1

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?36137-FRP-(Free-Range-Pigs)-Complete-Concertgebouw-1969

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?36138-FRP-(Free-Range-Pigs)-One-of-these-Days-in-Bradford

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?36139-FRP-(Free-Range-Pigs)-The-Final-Cutting

Ask if you have any problems, but I don't foresee any, just as long as you follow the basic instructions I gave or on the FAQ here on Yeeshkul!
Good luck, and enjoy!

jchrist1946
2015-10-24, 01:02 PM

If you don't understand how torrents work, or don't care to learn, either I or someone else on this board can always just snail mail you some of the FRP recordings. Send me a PM if you need some help.

Best Wishes,

Joseph

nipote
2015-10-24, 02:01 PM
If you don't understand how torrents work, or don't care to learn, either I or someone else on this board can always just snail mail you some of the FRP recordings. Send me a PM if you need some help.

Best Wishes,

Joseph

That it's the best solution for me.

Roscoe59
2015-10-24, 05:54 PM

You're dad was a really nice guy. I first got to meet him in Denver at the AFG Convocation for Roger's show. I had lunch with him and Mark Gunzinger one day and we all seemed to bond. Do you know Mark or how to contact him? He and your dad were FRP, IIRC. I can help to put you both together. Your dad and I used to keep in touch via Facebook. He lost some of his collection a few years back and I sent him a hard drive to copy with everything I had at the time.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

theembryo
2015-10-28, 02:00 AM
It is indeed an unfortunate and too soon event indeed. My great condolences for your loss. Jim's contributions will Shine On!