PDA

View Full Version : Recording Dates for Floyd Songs

fpentali
2016-08-07, 02:40 PM
I'm starting a project to listen to the (mostly early) floyd songs in order of earliest recording. I want to be ready for the 27 disc set about to hit.

i'm having trouble tracking down specific dates once Syd is out of the band and i haven't been able to find much out there in terms of recording session dates. i have the echoes book, and if iirc it's in there, but the book is in a box somewhere at my parent's house.

Anyone have a link to session dates? or if you've already done this, can maybe send me a document.

in later years, like wish you were here stuff, if the live date is earlier than the recording session date i'm going to use the live date.

thanks
FP

emmapeelfan
2016-08-07, 03:26 PM
Though I admire your intent, I can't see you getting too far with this idea for a variety of reasons.

Lack of information after Syd left being a major one as one would need access to EMI's paperwork. I'm sure there are odd sessions that can be dated up till around 1971, but that's also where things start getting very complicated.

Once 8 track and 16 track recording came along, the way studios worked changed. Before then, on 4 track (or less) acts were expected to work quickly and get a song completed preferably in one session. Vocals or odd overdubs might be added at a second or third session and that was reasonably easy to keep track of... "Scream Thy Last Scream" for instance, the rhythm track was recorded in August 1967 then Nick's lead vocal was added in December 1967 or January 1968 (can't quite remember but was a later session a few months after) The tape boxes detail some of this info since hey, there was only 4 tracks to play with and you could fit the information on the box.

When the number of tracks increased, Pink Floyd took advantage of that by becoming a bit more leisurely in how they recorded their tracks. Rhythm tracks cut in one session as before, but then the overdubbing would take place across multiple sessions. David might add a guitar part on one song then a vocal overdub on another in one session... given how they worked to layer and build up recordings over a period of time, it becomes practically impossible to deduce what was recorded and when. Take "Echoes" - goodness knows how many sessions were involved in that and even if we had the session dates, we're still not gonna know what was recorded in each session, so finding out when say, David recorded a classic solo becomes impossible... made worse by the fact a solo he laid down in one session might be rejected and wiped at the next. Not to mention "patching in" parts here and there.

Back in the 60's one of the recording engineer's jobs was to log everything that happened in writing and there exists tons of paperwork in wherever the EMI written archives are kept now, but by the 70's everything became relaxed. So, a recording date written on a tape box is most likely to be the date of the initial session with barely any clues of future sessions and what was added and when.

fpentali
2016-08-07, 03:40 PM
Yes, i hear you. My intent was to go with the very first recording session, whatever that was, even just rhythm, with the assumption that the demo was probably done by then at least. i'm just interested in hearing a bit more about their progression in music making.

thanks for your input.