PDA

View Full Version : cell phones at shows

Pottel
2017-11-02, 12:35 PM
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/is-bob-dylan-onto-something-with-his-militant-no-phones-policy
rather funny and to the point article on the habit using of cell phones during shows

if all musicians would make their shows available in Audio (and possible some video) then i would totally not mind...

buffalofloyd
2017-11-02, 04:45 PM
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/is-bob-dylan-onto-something-with-his-militant-no-phones-policy
rather funny and to the point article on the habit using of cell phones during shows

if all musicians would make their shows available in Audio (and possible some video) then i would totally not mind...

Good for Bob! I like the article, it was humorous, but I'm all in favor of no cell phones, period. It should be announced before selling tickets and if you can't abide, don't buy a ticket. It might sound harsh to millennials but for people who still remember going to concerts before the obsession with cell phones began, I think they would appreciate a no cell phone policy.

I also realize, as someone who has recorded audio of concerts, that you are not supposed to record and it might seem hypocritical for me to say that, but my recording doesn't intrude on anyone else's enjoyment of the show. It also might come across ass hypocritical because at the same time I am not forced into buying a ticket either, so it's a choice.

In reality, I don't know what the answer is, but if people could just put the glowing rectangle in front of their face down for a minute or two and look up at the real world in front of you, the world would be a better place.
Plus your eyes would hurt less :)

Peace!

jimfisheye
2017-11-02, 05:07 PM
I'm kind of floored at the number of people who apparently have enough disposable income to go to a show they might have so little interest in that they start playing on their phones. Then there's the part about OK with being that rude to the other paying audience members around them who may actually be interested in said show. There were a handful of these jackasses at the Dave show in Chicago even with those ticket prices. Blew my mind.

Everyone is just way too polite about this IMHO. If some jackass has the balls to come to a concert and start playing on their phone in the middle of it the only appropriate response is for everyone around them to harass them until they leave.

Sam
2017-11-02, 09:10 PM
I'm kind of floored at the number of people who apparently have enough disposable income to go to a show they might have so little interest in that they start playing on their phones. Then there's the part about OK with being that rude to the other paying audience members around them who may actually be interested in said show. There were a handful of these jackasses at the Dave show in Chicago even with those ticket prices. Blew my mind.

Everyone is just way too polite about this IMHO. If some jackass has the balls to come to a concert and start playing on their phone in the middle of it the only appropriate response is for everyone around them to harass them until they leave.

I know right, I remember going to a Neil Young concert and I swear I was so close to punching the guy in front, he wasn't interested in the music at all, just faffing on his phone, even talking! I don't understand why people film it for a brief second either, just watch the bloody thing. I think the guy in front of him got fed up with him as well. I just wish people would sit and witness the concert, like in those old BBC programmes where people were told to shut up, or you got kicked out, the same should apply, only clap and whistle when they've finished, it's not hard.

Feel like Roger, "Stop letting off them facking fireworks!" Phones are the new fireworks.

ShermanLi
2017-11-20, 03:29 PM

So true. And people don't even realize how obnoxious they look.