PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd DVD-Audio?

spunkster
2006-08-05, 10:58 AM
Just recently I have noticed on other Torrent sites, a couple of Floyd Dvd Audio disc's up for grabs.
Can anybody here tell me if these Disc's are in there collection, and if so are they worth the download?
I already have, like I'm sure everybody now has the 4.1 Mix of DSOTM which appeared about 6 months ago.

(Animals & WYWH)

Thanx.

terx
2008-05-10, 01:21 AM
WOW Animals a WYWH?? I only have the DSOTM version...but it's a special version...taken from the original alan parsons mix and no the 5.1 made for the SACD(...)
Anyway, strange the din't sell them on any shops.
The 4.1 mix of "Dark Side...." is recomended.If you have the SACD you can compare them..most peopple say that this DSOTM is better than the comercial SACD version.I prefer to stay at margin because i only have the DVD-A.

So, anyway great thing that PF is going on DVD Audio what i mostly hate about SACD is you have to have an special player to read the high definition part of the cd and it's very hard to get while the DVD-A (and mostly the dsotm wich is an hybrid) some streams can be read on conventional dvd players.

RandalPink
2008-05-10, 10:48 PM
Or if you have a PS3, the sacd layer will play too.

I for one have compared the two DSotM mixes and opt for the SACD. It just envelopes you whole. Plus knowing that Guthrie's mix was specifically designed for 5.1 audio, whereas Parson's (while incredible) subwoofer bass track was added post mix, doesn't help either.

Anyway back to topic, would love to hear Animals or WYWH in sacd or dvd-a.

terx
2008-05-15, 04:24 AM

Didn't notice.Got to get a PS3!!!
(Not in the near future,sadly).

(....)Parson's (while incredible) subwoofer bass track was added post mix, doesn't help either.

Yeah, well that's the carappy part of it.I would love to hear the original 4.0 mix since i only have 5.0 speakers, so , you see i can't play the .1 track of the mix propperly.

BTW i found some information on those DVD-A apparently these are vinyl rips.
(if they are the ones listed above)
I'd say it's not bad to make dvd-a's but you are supossed to make them from master tapes not from vinyls.The guy who invented this must be a real floyd fan ...but he sure knows little about DVD-A'S.
Apparently the guy also mastered DSOTM.But it has nothing to do compared to parsons mix.....

Pink Floyd - DSoTM & WYWH [2008 NL Edition DVD-A]

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This DVD Audio image contains digitally remastered transfer
of the MFSL "The Dark Side Of The Moon" (UHQR MFQR 1-1017)
and the Columbia Mastersound "Wish You Were Here" (HC 33453)
half-speed mastered LPs.

Thanks to Silverking and PapaBear for these rips.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist.......: Pink Floyd
Album........: Wish You Were Here
Genre........: Rock
Source.......: Columbia Mastersound half-speed mastered audiophile LP
Year.........: Original - 1975, Mastersound - 1980, this DVD-A - 2008
Codec........: Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP)
Channels.....: Stereo / 96000 HZ / 24 Bit
Ripped by....: PapaBear on 2007-09-28
Remastered by: kpuo on 2008-01-28
Playing Time.: 00:44:12

spiderone
2008-05-19, 12:52 AM
Maybe 3 years ago, There was a torrent on the old Yeeshkul tracker that included 7 different dts cd transfers of PF releases.

Atom Heart Mother, from SQ vinyl
Meddle, home-made upconvert mix
DSOTM, from SQ vinyl
DSOTM, from unknown source
WYWH, from Q8 tape
WYWH, from SQ vinyl
Animals, home-made upconvert mix

Now, the DSOTM Unknown mix is the best I've ever heard! Comapred to the SQ tranfer, the sacd and a 4.1 dvd I got in a trade. I always wondered what could be the exact source of it. Any of the guys that grabbed it then know anything about it? Is it the Alan Parson's mix?

and btw, the WYWH from the 8-track is also stellar. A bit "bassy", but once the levels are set right, it's simply stunning! Animals and Meddle are about as good as listening to the original cd thru pro-logic II. Sounds good, but not a real quad mix.

Demolition Man
2008-05-21, 04:14 PM
I believe the "unknown" source for DSOTM is 8-track. I have the same disc myself that you most likely have. I remember that one sounding very good but the more recent DVD-Audio disc taken from the reported master quad tapes sounds better by far.

blood5150
2008-05-21, 09:50 PM
I only own the SACD of DSOTM..... its really cool though in surround sound..

floydfan2410
2008-05-21, 11:24 PM
I have both the SACD and Alan Parsons 4.1 DVD-Audio mix. But I have no SACD player so I have only heard the 4.1 mix, and that is pretty stunning :) But I would very much like to hear the SACD someday.

Demolition Man
2008-05-22, 04:37 AM
The Guthree mix on the SACD is different from the Parsons quad mix. Both are well worth listening to for their varying differences. As someone put it earlier... Parsons makes you feel more inside the mix as opposed to Guthree makes you feel more like its going on around you.

BusStopRatBag
2011-02-07, 04:14 AM
I wish I could get that Animals and WYWH!!!! I have all kinds of stuff, but I just now became aware of how great that Parsons mix was!! I hope to find them soon!! PS What do these record companies smoke? I want some! They have people that will EAT UP ANYTHING FLOYD and they just do the same old routine! So much has to be done by the fans, and all should at least be done professionally and give us a chance to get the A+++ versions of everything! They lose millions by their stupidity

maxwas
2011-02-07, 10:17 PM
Hi All,

About 3 years ago I came across a DVD called Pink Floyd Surround on a torrent site, it contains the following:

London 66-67 – DVD Mix
Piper at the Gates of Dawn – jmr Mix
A Saucerful of Secrets – jmr Mix
Atom Heart mother – SQ Vinyl
Meddle – BWHI Mix
Dark Side of the Moon – Q8 8 Track
Dark Side of the Moon – SQ Vinyl
Dark Side of the Moon – SACD Mix
Wish You Were Here – Q8 8 Track
Wish You Were Here – SQ Vinyl
Animals – BWHI Mix
The Final Cut – jmr mix

I also have quite a lot of other stuff: WYWH 5.1, AHM DTS (which sounds fantastic) and a DTS mix of the Montreal show, again all from various torrent sites.

They all sound very interesting through my surround system and all have their different qualities.

:worthy:

movement
2011-02-07, 11:41 PM

From what I hear, Sony dropped SACD support in newer PS3s and even the older ones will only output in stereo. Apparently digital 5.1 via toslink is prohibited.

movement
2011-02-07, 11:42 PM
Hi All,

About 3 years ago I came across a DVD called Pink Floyd Surround on a torrent site, it contains the following:

London 66-67 – DVD Mix
Piper at the Gates of Dawn – jmr Mix
A Saucerful of Secrets – jmr Mix
Atom Heart mother – SQ Vinyl
Meddle – BWHI Mix
Dark Side of the Moon – Q8 8 Track
Dark Side of the Moon – SQ Vinyl
Dark Side of the Moon – SACD Mix
Wish You Were Here – Q8 8 Track
Wish You Were Here – SQ Vinyl
Animals – BWHI Mix
The Final Cut – jmr mix

I also have quite a lot of other stuff: WYWH 5.1, AHM DTS (which sounds fantastic) and a DTS mix of the Montreal show, again all from various torrent sites.

They all sound very interesting through my surround system and all have their different qualities.

:worthy:

jmr? I don't know what that is.

jimfisheye
2011-02-07, 11:49 PM
Alright, I've been through all the various transfers of the old quad surround releases. Fortunately there are well done captures available. There also happen to be many completely sonically destroyed versions making the rounds. DTS and Dolby should be avoided always (mp3-like quality). SQ encoding is lossy and therefor a 2nd choice to Q8 tape.

Here are my notes with checksums where I have them. BTW, I hadn't heard about the 4.1 version with the corrupted lfe track. While I would have left it 4.0, the one I have is properly done (split out from the rest). And yes the SACD remix sounds like a boot compared to the real thing.

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother Discrete Quad Mix POTWDVDA001
- Utterly and completely destroyed with noise reduction. Unlistenable.

*ahm
md5: 4445df764e1f9191405f06e39169424c - ahm.iso
- Atom Heart Mother discrete quad mix from 8-track. I never got any artwork with it but the file is named ahm.iso and came in a folder named "pf". This has some noise reduction used as well but not drastically. I'd say a little too heavy if I was being really picky but it still sounds very good overall. 24/96 too.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) [VINYL] (UK Quad LP)
- Haven't heard it. No need to (see next).

*Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon - Alan Parsons' Mix DVD
md5: 0d5d7b5b154c457738c20a001e80445d - Pink Floyd - Ultimate DSOTM 4_1.iso
- Allegedly transferred from a safety copy of the master tape. This kind of sound quality can't be faked or "restored". This is the real deal. Sound quality is on a level playing field with the MFSL vinyl release. This is certainly 99.999999% what an official 24/96 DVDA would sound like.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975) [VINYL] (UK Quadraphonic DVD)1
- Front to rear separation almost nonexistent. Pretty stepped on.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975) [VINYL] (UK Quadraphonic 24Bit-96kHz)
- Is this the same? Or maybe the earlier version mentioned in the above?

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975) [VINYL] (UK Quadraphonic DVD)2
md5: 3a2a12a2970cacb8edb376376aa72ca1 - WISHYOUW.iso
- This is likely the best vinyl transfer. There's actually a little front to rear separation. Still…

*Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
md5: 5779666a025870e811dd19d440421421 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.iso
- Fair amount of tape hiss (fortunately not made worse by amateur noise reduction), speed is 23C sharp. High end is a bit subdued (not counting the hiss). It's still better and less stepped on than any vinyl version. The Lf channel is 2.5db low for the 1st 2 songs. A speed correction, level correction and wide 2db boost at 5k and this is the best sounding version.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Q8 Hub Remaster)
md5: 46018a455b6338e0d982924ee64ced57 - Pink Floyd - WYWH Hub Remaster.iso
- Looks like its from the same transfer as the above. The Lf ch has the same anomaly for the 1st 2:11 of HAC which is not on the distorted 24/48 transfer or the vinyl). At first glance it sounds good. Hotter levels and fuller in the mids. Someone went after it with noise reduction and high end eq cut unfortunately and really lost a lot. To be fair there was a decent amount of hiss there but still… This also has considerably less bass than the above and what sounds like a little smearing from crosstalk between channels.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (The Original Quadraphonic Mix )
- This one is 24/48 and came with the AUDIO_TS folder in a folder named "Quad 8 Tape Source" as opposed to a disc image file. Worst transfer ever! The record level was set very much too high for the transfer and this is distorted (digitally clipped) beyond belief. Unlistenable.

Pink Floyd - Animals (The Original Quadraphonic Mix) Demonoid
- Fake. Someone took 3 different stereo CD masters and lined them up. Different levels and/or mastering compression levels of the different CD's used would create a little movement here and there. A sonic assault from 3 CD copies at once - yikes! Meddle and The Wall exist with this treatment as well.

* = best transfers
These 3 discs (plus some of the others) also contain lossy versions (either dts or dolby) in addition to the lossless 24/96 program. Don't listen to that by mistake.

Check out some of my surround posts. My Floyd obsession lately has been restoring the live surround mixes from multiple recorders.

maxwas
2011-02-08, 11:06 AM
jmr? I don't know what that is.

I was having a nosey around, it seems to be someone in another Floyd forum that does his own mixes.

Thanks Jimfisheye for the excellent info.

:D

jimfisheye
2011-02-08, 05:49 PM
I was having a nosey around, it seems to be someone in another Floyd forum that does his own mixes.

Thanks Jimfisheye for the excellent info.

:D

There's a lot of that going on. Not to rain on anyone's parade but these have absolutely nothing to do with surround sound. They're certainly no relation to any Pink Floyd surround sound mixes ever released. As I mentioned above, this is just kids playing with CD's. Putting multiple CD's up at the same time in their home theater systems. Think back to being 8 years old and wiring up 17 different speakers in your bedroom.
Meddle, Animals and the Wall were mixed in 4.0 surround but never released. No one has them.

A special note about WYWH. While I've heard SQ vinyl that was still surprisingly discreet after decoding, WYWH is not one of them. In fact it's the worst SQ encoding/pressing to vinyl job I've ever heard! It's really not fair. If you have only heard a decoded SQ version of this album then you haven't heard this album yet. At all. The Q8 version I noted above is the ONLY one that lets you really hear any of the incredibly ambitious mix they had going on - but you have to come to terms with all that tape hiss. That Hub remaster version everyone is raving about has had all the high end just cut off and it just destroys the mix.

Really not kidding about the dts and dolby thing either. So much is lost in the process that what comes out of the speakers does not really resemble the surround mix anymore. The sound is mp3 quality and all the channels are mushed together (think mono with just a little phasey wiggle left).

fatoldpig
2011-02-08, 11:22 PM
*ahm
- Atom Heart Mother discrete quad mix from 8-track. I never got any artwork with it but the file is named ahm.iso and came in a folder named "pf". This has some noise reduction used as well but not drastically. I'd say a little too heavy if I was being really picky but it still sounds very good overall. 24/96 too.

- Allegedly transferred from a safety copy of the master tape. This kind of sound quality can't be faked or "restored". This is the real deal. Sound quality is on a level playing field with the MFSL vinyl release. This is certainly 99.999999% what an official 24/96 DVDA would sound like.

- Fair amount of tape hiss (fortunately not made worse by amateur noise reduction), speed is 23C sharp. High end is a bit subdued (not counting the hiss). It's still better and less stepped on than any vinyl version. The Lf channel is 2.5db low for the 1st 2 songs. A speed correction, level correction and wide 2db boost at 5k and this is the best sounding version.

thanks Jim, i have to check if i got these versions and then check them out since i got a DVD-A player now.

Arnold_Layne
2011-02-09, 01:13 AM
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother Discrete Quad Mix POTWDVDA001
- Utterly and completely destroyed with noise reduction. Unlistenable.

*ahm

I plan to re-do this. The deck I used was noisy and I over-used noise-reduction.

The 8 track is dull sounding. It does get better about half-way through Have A Cigar though. All versions of the quad 8 track I have heard are like this.

A_L

DrPhibes
2011-02-09, 05:53 AM
*ahm

I have heard this, and it's breathtaking. "Funky dung" alone is worth the price of admission.

Again, a jaw-dropper. I like the SACD mix too, but this is quite different and a more logical in the use the channels. The one thing I like better about the SACD mix is the use of the center channel. I'd love to see what Parsons would have done with 5.1 channels.

For the life of me, I have not been able to find this. I'd love to, as every other multichannel WYWH I've heard has left me wanting much more.

goa
2011-02-09, 11:36 AM
I plan to re-do this. The deck I used was noisy and I over-used noise-reduction.

The 8 track is dull sounding. It does get better about half-way through Have A Cigar though. All versions of the quad 8 track I have heard are like this.

A_L

I know I have PM you at least once a year about both ( :lol: )

Did you already make a re-do of yours WYWH Q8 tape ????