PDA

View Full Version : A LITTLE suggestion...

roegermon
2007-10-16, 08:29 PM
The WHOLE purpose behind bittorrent was to make it faster to download large files from a community database. It really makes me sick that I could be connected to 5 seeders and 4 leechers and only be able to download at 1.5Kb per second! If people would stop being so stingy and give up just 25Kb of bandwidth for uploads (Like I do...),downloading would be 4000% faster and maybe it wouldn't take a week to download a 4.3 Gb file... :mad:

DreamsOfVenus
2007-10-17, 01:35 AM
The WHOLE purpose behind bittorrent was to make it faster to download large files from a community database. It really makes me sick that I could be connected to 5 seeders and 4 leechers and only be able to download at 1.5Kb per second! If people would stop being so stingy and give up just 25Kb of bandwidth for uploads (Like I do...),downloading would be 4000% faster and maybe it wouldn't take a week to download a 4.3 Gb file... :mad:
I usually get pretty fast speeds here unless there's just one or two seeds.

SuperDude2111
2007-10-17, 01:37 AM
You are complaining about this in the only Pink Floyd sharing group. And therefore the only way to get these (minus Hubs). If people can't seed at what your expectations are then get used to it. Be happy that you are actually getting anything at all. Sure there are some of US that can't seed 4000% faster, but that ain't our fault. Many factors are involved. How do we know that it just ain't your connection that sucks?

A LITTLE suggestion would be: STOP complaining and be happy that there is a place where you can actualy get this stuff. Learn to have some patience my friend and you will be fine.

P.S. if you are going to bring something like this up. Maybe get a ratio over 1 first :)

auximenes
2007-10-17, 04:13 AM

I usually have torrents coming in at at least 120kb/s. I find this community extremely generous and sharing. I hate it when people bring up an issue in an angry way, faulting others, without looking into things first. :sexy:This is a smilie?

seth01
2007-10-17, 04:37 AM
:sexy:This is a smilie?

The hottest smilie around. ;)

Yeah, roegermon; download speed really is dependant on what the folks are able to give at that time as well as your connection. There can be so many variables sometimes and can just be dumb-luck sometimes too.

If you are using µTorrent, try going to Options | Speed Guide and then clicking on "Test if port is forwarded properly". If you aren't using µTorrent, go to this site:
http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=XXXXX replacing the X's at the end with the port number you are using on your BT client. Also if you are using a router, try checking out the site www.portforward.com (http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Utor/Utorindex.htm).

You can also check your own bandwidth speed through many different sites including: http://www.speedtest.net/, http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ or http://myspeed.visualware.com/ among others.

So, yeah, as you can see, slow download speed is not always due to people being "stingy". Sometimes people just aren't able to upload because of various reasons (ISP throttling speeds, for instance) and sometimes the problem can be with your own connection. Perhaps you are just jumping on the torrents late as well, which could slow your download down.

HTH,
Seth

kiwifb
2007-10-17, 06:53 AM
I am in New Zealand and my upload is 14kb/s max :( . I probably
could double that by forking a large amount of cash to get a
business line - upload is quite limited in NZ but it's improving.
On the other hand I had peak downloads at 120kb/s.

hejsan
2007-10-17, 08:50 AM
you are getting other peoples hard work and time for free, so you have no right making any demands.

the people seeding usually focus all their bandwidth when seeding torrents, they are doing their best with the connection they have.

this attitude of yours makes me sick :O

Pottel
2007-10-17, 10:08 AM
mm, seems you have made yourself popular in the shortest time possible...
anyways, i guess you are complaining bout older torrents, that you jumped on late, they can be slow, or standing still at times, but the new ones are death fast, i upload all mine at upload speeds between 40 and 130kbs, depending on whatever else is going on on my laptop...
and i think this is the same for all other uploaders, and if they are not able to upload quick for whatever reason, they mostly explain that and warn for the slow speeds.
with older downloads the only solution is mentioning that specific download in a thread and ask for some seeding support".
depending on the "niceness" of your request and your ratio at that time
so what i wanna say is, in general most new uploads are NOT slow at all, so pls specify what your problem was exactly, with "live examples"
and be slightly more diplomatic in your future suggestions

MarchingHammers
2007-10-17, 03:31 PM
As many have stated before me, there are a lot of factors involved with downloading and seeding here and on any other tracker you may encounter. You must keep in mind that people aren't generally just seeding or downloading one torrent at a time. Most times, their bandwidth is spread around to other people and it varies from torrent to torrent depending on the demand of pieces from other people.

Your connection also plays a crucial role. You might have a 1mb/s download with a 256 kb/s max upload connection or you might have something a bit more giving such as 10 mb/s down and 1 mb/s up (such as myself.) Forwarding your ports and allowing your client access is also very important because if not done correctly, your speeds WILL suffer. There have been lots of good links posted already in this thread so check into that.

Another thing is bandwidth saturation. If you are uploading at your max speed on other torrents and seeding, it will effect your download speeds. It's a rule of thumb to limit your maximum upload speed to about 80-85% of what it's capable of to achieve maximum download performance.

This is a very giving community and I don't think your complaints hold any water. I'm very sorry that you aren't getting the speeds you desire but you must be very grateful that you are getting all of this for free in the long run. People put in long hours and a lot of work to bring this material to us. You can either get it here free or you can go to Ebay and shell out hundreds of your hard earned money. The choice is yours.

-MH

KarVictor
2007-10-17, 04:19 PM
In your current activity list i can see you are dl older posts.
You cannot expect users to keep these seeded indefinitely.
I think that's your prob.

If you get a newly posted dvd with say 10 seeders, you easily can get connections over 300 kbps, that is if you have a provider that can give you that.

Also if things aren't working fast enough, you always can ask for more seeders on the reseed forum. I agree with MH that this is a very giving community, all my requests have been fulfilled up to now, even when i was late to jump on some post.

I myself upload at 200-250 kbps, day in-day out, 24/7, only on Yeeshkul.
Speed is rarely below that except when i am gettig stuff for the kidz on usenet.

So my advice is :
-try a newer thread;
-be patient;
-request a reseed when seeders drop off....

Just my 2cts.........:D

dealgodown
2007-10-17, 05:43 PM
patience patience patience

The WHOLE purpose behind bittorrent IS TO SHARE.
NOT SO YOU CAN "download large files from a community database faster."

I offer to reseed stuff I have but im capped @ 45kbps. That means they will have to wait a little. I never got a complaint.

There are very few site that even upload PF. Im more then grateful for everything I found on this site.

The bottom line is...Are you getting the shows you want? Then you cant whine when it take time to finish.
KV advice is solid...take it.

Pottel
2007-10-18, 09:05 AM
also, some shows took me 5 minutes, going at speeds of up to 10 to 16mb, others have taken weeks,...so what...there is so much stuff out there, and i did finish all shows i started until now.
patience is sometimes hard, but it is a nice virtue...

Patpier
2007-10-18, 11:28 AM
maybe it wouldn't take a week to download a 4.3 Gb file... :mad:

The first thing that comes in mind is that you should aprreciated the person(s) that did stay that long so you could have what you were looking for...
You know like Thanks for the seed, I got what I was looking for....

Here, most of the community go out of their way to offer everyone of us a FREE SERVICE. So if it takes one month, one week or a few minutes to download a gig, you should just be thankful to have it.

Have some toughts about this... :)

Patpier

andy_672
2007-10-22, 08:12 PM
Lets Not Forget The Physical Aspec To , Your Connection Is Via Thousends Of Miles Of Cables & Hundreds Of Telephone Exchanges Along The Way.Every Joint Slows The Signal A Little,Internet Traffic Is Also Routed Though Large Servers For Countries/Continents Run By Government Appointed Telecom Companies
All Traffic Of Certain Types Is Scanned By Various Agencies Which Does Slow It Down.

If Nobody Else Has Suggested It To You I Suggest Trying The Encryption Settings In UTorrent It Helps To Stop You ISP "Throttling" You

But Above All Enjoy What You D/L & Be Gratefull For The Rarities That Others Have Bestowed Upon You

andy_672
2007-10-22, 08:22 PM
I Set Unlimited On My U/l Speed & Seed 15 At A Time,How Much Speed They Get Depends On Lots Of Things Inc My ISP But Its Never Limited By Me
My Pc Is Online 24/7 Occasional My ISP Is Down During 9-5 But Its Always On & Seeding Even When I Have Nothing D/l Myself.I Never Remove A File If There Is Even A Single Leecher Left That Isn't Currently Online.
Being Prepared To Share With Like Minded People Is What Yeeskul Is All About
& We Should All Be Gratefull For It Regardless Of Wether Its Fast Or Slow
Any Floyd Is Good Floyd - Even If It Takes 12Mths To Get !

archangelsthunderbird
2007-10-22, 08:49 PM
I have my uploads and downloads set on 50/50 but still people are only uploading from me at 1k or 3k at a time when 100k is available to them so I don't see any greediness here .Because i'm new here i'm obviously downloading older stuff that you guys have had for a while and my ratio sucks because of it .But Only half the torrents i'm seeding are being used at the moment.People with faster download speeds will get done quicker so how long is some one expected keep a download on their harddrive .If you have 10 DVD's downloaded that's a lot of space.I only have a 30 gig harddrive on this PC so I'll have to delete something next month because I'm seeding movies and audio for other sites.Everything is going to be slower in a community type setting.I downloaded Shrek 3 from another site the other week and it had 140,000 seeders so it took just and afternoon to get it and I only left it on for a week then deleted it .It's going to have more impact here if I did that so I'm keeping downloads from here as long as possible.so far I've had a better experience here than I did on Neptune Pink Floyd ,On there people would delete as soon as they got to 100% and it would take weeks to just get the latest torrents even just a few tracks..

HMAK
2007-10-22, 09:44 PM
When I find old Torrents or trying to get a complete Tour, the members of this site has been very generous with reseeds of old or dead concerts. It might take 1 or 2 or even 4 weeks to get a specific date back on seeding. But it always shows up, just have patience. Well my share ratio is hovering about 1.5 to 1.6, that might help as well. :)

Get an external Harddisk for Your downloads, so You can seed one day, a request comes up. Just a suggestion....

Pottel
2007-10-22, 10:00 PM
I have my uploads and downloads set on 50/50 but still people are only uploading from me at 1k or 3k at a time when 100k is available to them so I don't see any greediness here .Because i'm new here i'm obviously downloading older stuff that you guys have had for a while and my ratio sucks because of it .But Only half the torrents i'm seeding are being used at the moment.People with faster download speeds will get done quicker so how long is some one expected keep a download on their harddrive .If you have 10 DVD's downloaded that's a lot of space.I only have a 30 gig harddrive on this PC so I'll have to delete something next month because I'm seeding movies and audio for other sites.Everything is going to be slower in a community type setting.I downloaded Shrek 3 from another site the other week and it had 140,000 seeders so it took just and afternoon to get it and I only left it on for a week then deleted it .It's going to have more impact here if I did that so I'm keeping downloads from here as long as possible.so far I've had a better experience here than I did on Neptune Pink Floyd ,On there people would delete as soon as they got to 100% and it would take weeks to just get the latest torrents even just a few tracks..
don't wanna sound naive but downloading shrek 3 and telling about it here is not good, wanna see the movie, buy it or go watch it.
i guess you do buy the Floyd cd's so why not do the same for a movie you enjoy?
i do understand your issue bout the up and downloading, just keep em on as long as possible... and get an external HD, they cost less then nothing these days..
i got 256 torrents in my client right now, but only 6 are live and seeding...
the rest is at a 1/1 ratio or way higher, and i just keep em there in case someone requests it.
i also check the status of my own uploads every 2nd week and reseed whatever is left alone..

andy_672
2007-10-28, 01:38 AM
That Is A Good Point How Long Are We Expected To Seed For ?,I Try To Seed Everything At Least x2 Before Deletion,I Try Never To Delete While There Is Even 1x User Requiring It,But I Cant Keep Stuff Forever.My Stats Are Reasonable But There Comes A Time When I must Make Room For New Stuff.Even With Big HDD's & A Fast Connection (16MB) Its A Choice Between Continual Seeding Or Fast Seeding. I Try To Keep My Pc Seeding 24/7 & Have 20x Seeding Open At All Times With The Majority Seeding At 20:5,But DVD's Are Big & Take Space & Time.But I Will Continue To Seed As Much As I Can Because Thats The Yeshkull Spirit.I Know I'm New Here But I Think My Stats Speak For Themselfs At 340Gb Upload In Less Then 3 Mths - Its The Yeeskul Spirit,The Greatest Site On The Net
So I Offer My Heart Felt Thanks To The Guys & Gals That Made It Possible

:cheers:

Andy