PDA

View Full Version : DSOTM & The Wizard of Oz: coincidence or Eastern Egg?

highhopes58
08-11-2006, 09:08 PM
The legend of the Dark Side Of The Moon album, being made as a kind of sound track to the USA classic movie The Wizard of Oz is well documented on the Internet (just Google on Pink Floyd Wizard Oz) and this week I had the chance to watch the video tape with the sound of the DSOTM CD (start the CD exactly at the 3rd roar of the MGM lion). It was scary!

Although I'm sceptical from nature, and any music will give some "remarkable" cioncidences of synchronisation to any movie, the number and nature of sync's between the music and the movie is stunning.

For anybody who hasn't yet seen the movie with DSOTM playing in sync, my advise is: watch it!

For those who saw and heard it, I would like to learn from your experiences and theories, whether Pink Floyd and/or Alan Parsons (the producer) played some tricks on all of us.

Enjoy!
HighHopes58

ResiAlien
08-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I trust the band on this one. There's some interviews with them concerning the synch. They flatly denied it. Pointing out the difficulty of doing such a thing with the limited technology for home movie play-back available at the time. They also said that if you note the exisiting footage of them recording Dark Side of the Moon (like that seen on Live at Pompeii), you'll notice there is no movie screens in the studio on which they could have viewed the movie. I don't remember where I found the particular article, but if you stumble across it, the band does a brilliant job debunking the rumor. It's tough to argue with their points.

ResiAlien
08-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Here we are:

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/coincidence.htm

That's the article I mentioned before. Try and tell me it's still planned after reading that. Don't buy it.

Aleister Blacke
08-12-2006, 12:53 AM
If Pink Floyd didn't sync DSOTM to sync up with The Wizard of Oz, then there's only only other explanation, one everyone is missing.

The producers of The Wizard of Oz synced the movie to match up one of the greatest albums ever!!!! :D :D :D :D

markt
08-12-2006, 01:57 AM
We tried this back when it was first rumoured (years ago now), and the group of us....uh......were on a different level than most. It synched up perfectly, and blew all of our minds!

After that, we watched The Nightmare Before Christmas, and synched it with the Beatles White album...It synched up perfectly, and.....

GroovingPict
08-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I trust the band on this one. There's some interviews with them concerning the synch. They flatly denied it. Pointing out the difficulty of doing such a thing with the limited technology for home movie play-back available at the time. They also said that if you note the exisiting footage of them recording Dark Side of the Moon (like that seen on Live at Pompeii), you'll notice there is no movie screens in the studio on which they could have viewed the movie. I don't remember where I found the particular article, but if you stumble across it, the band does a brilliant job debunking the rumor. It's tough to argue with their points.

The studio footage from live at pompeii is "fake" though. They were already done with the album, but Maben wanted some footage of the boys in the studio, so they did some footage of them pretending to do some overdubs etc. Not that that means that they did have a movie screen :p but it's not evidence that they didnt either. I firmly believe that the sync is purely accidental.

Cheers,
Tor

GroovingPict
08-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Here we are:

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/coincidence.htm

That's the article I mentioned before. Try and tell me it's still planned after reading that. Don't buy it.

Interesting article, but it has some errors (such as Clare doing GGITS in "20 or so takes" when it was in fact 3 takes, and the last one was even cut short). Again, Id like to say that I agree with the point that the sync is coincidental and not intentional, but that article doesnt necessarily prove anything. It was written by someone trying to get his view through, and not someone considering points both for and against the possibility of an intentional sync. So, because Im a highly argumentative ****er, Im gonna play devil's advocate and argue against some of the points in that article.

"One might want to take a gander at the film Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii to get an idea of just how the album was put together. You will find absolutely zero references to anything even remotely related to TWoOz (The Wizard of Oz) in that film. One will also notice the lack of any sort of movie or video screen." - Ive already commented on that point in my previous post.

"...Alan Parsons, the production engineer of DSOTM, to make the final vote on how it should sound. Alan preferred Dave's idea best, and that's how we have it . . . seamless and fabulous." - again, this is not entirely true. It wasn't just David's idea to make a conceptual album, in fact that wasnt what the argument was about. Very simplified, the argument was over Roger wanting a "harsher" sound while David wanted a more "mellow" sound. Alan Parsons was brought in, and no they didnt go for David's idea, they went with something in between. This has nothing to do with a sync with the movie, but just points out that the author of the article is once again wrong.

"What artist ever makes a work -- a great work (and who in their right mind and with any taste would deny that DSOTM is a great work of art?) and hides it? An artist, when he is done with his work, and is proud of it, puts it out for all the world to see, hoping that someone will appreciate it" - The Floyd have always been secretive. Even if the sync is intentional, they would never ever go out and say "hey, buy our album and check out how it syncs up with the Wizard of Oz!" Did they say anything about the Enigma when Division Bell was released? no, infact they flatly denied knowing anything about it. So it is possible that the band didnt want to inform anyone about this, and even deny it when asked about it.

"Each member contributed in different ways. For instance, Rick Wright was given free reign in the "religious section" (so dubbed by the band members) which finally became titled The Great Gig in the Sky (TGGITS), so that track would certainly be void of any dictatorial influence from Roger" - The scene that The Great Gig in the Sky syncs up with is the tornado scene, and it is perhaps the most perfectly synced part in the whole piece, starting when Dorothy leaves the fortune teller (when the tornado starts to build up) and ends as she lands in Oz. It is possible that the whole band worked on the sync, and that it wasnt some "secret plan of Roger" (why on earth would it be), and that Rick was given free reign to sync up his song to the tornado scene. In fact, one of the arguments of the author of the article is an argument for intentional sync. He says that Clare did the singing in multiple takes, which is true although it wasnt 20 as he says, and that the band edited together the various takes to fit in the song. So they couldve edited it to fit with the tornado scene.

"And in another quote from Parsons in an MTV interview, he said " There simply wasn't mechanics to do it. We had no means of playing videotapes in the room at all. I don't think VHS had come along by '72, had it?". - Are you trying to tell me that EMI couldnt, if they wanted, get some sort of video reel of the movie and a projector? That argument is really bad. There were plenty of options to get some video equipment together.

He goes on to quote an MTV interivew with some DJ claiming it to be further evidence that the sync wasnt intentional, but not only doesnt it offer anything new from what he had listed himself above, the only thing in it coming from someone related to Pink Floyd is Nick Mason humerous comment that "It's absolute nonsense, it has nothing to do with "The Wizard Of Oz." It was all based on "The Sound Of Music." The article author then writes: "Goodness! Will the evidence AGAINST INTENT ever cease to come in?", but there are no evidence in that interview!
He goes on to quote further denials by band members, but Ive commented on that before.

So, that article really doesnt offer any conclusive evidence against an intentional sync. It is quite clearly written by someone who is only concerned about getting his own view through, and offers some half-assed arguments, which serves more to hurt his case than to help it.

To sum it up, I would like to say again that I personally dont believe the sync to be intentional. But do I think it is absolutely impossible that it is? No. There are no evidence or articles about the issue that Ive seen that makes an intentional sync 100% impossible. The band could deny it cause they want it to remain mystical (if they admitted it, all pr around the issue would die out), or they could deny it cause they werent all that pleased with the result, cause yes, there are many socalled "bald spots" where there are no syncing. On the other hand, the bald spots could be there to not make it too obvious. The argument that there simply wasnt any video equipment around to be able to do it is ridiculous. Even video cartridges (such as Sony's U-matic format) was around by late 60's. Not to mention open reel solutions. Just cause VHS ultimately became the vastly more popular video format, doesnt mean it was the first on the market.
Articles such as that one are ridiculous. They are written by people deliberately only seeing one side, disregarding arguments against their own opinion, instead of by people trying to get to the bottom by viewing arguments both for and against.

Cheers,
Tor

KoolKat
08-12-2006, 11:53 AM
You should try playing DSoM whilst watching the original Time Machine movie that stars good old Rod Taylor.

Did it as an experiment for a possible project and you would be quite surprized of the syncs.1 could be an MTV vid straight take

I agree with a non-intentional sync for Oz etc.They happen.
Hell,if you played Animals whilst watching Sesame Street you would get syncs.

Fun though isn't :)

K_K

Deepman
08-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Y
Hell,if you played Animals whilst watching Sesame Street you would get syncs.

K_K

*ponders about it but gets shot before being able to do it by Kermit the frog*

Dennis Daja
08-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Well I have a bootleg DVD with the synch in 5.1 and watched it, and it does contain a lot of syncs. But I've also heared this about "meddle" and "The Shining", "The Division Bell" and "Planet Of The Apes" and "Alice In Wonderland" and "The Wall". This DVD also speaks of 113 known syncs. I think it's pure coincidental, Pink Floyd's music speaks to men's fantasy and that the syncs are a lot of fantasy. The lyrics are very symbolic and could have a lot of different meanings in a lot of films, and as I said I think that fantasy does the rest. The only sync they did on purpuse was the ending from 2001: A Space Odyssey to "Echoes".

But nevertheless it's very much fun to watch.

pinkfloyd2006
08-22-2006, 11:46 PM
The only sync they did on purpuse was the ending from 2001: A Space Odyssey to "Echoes".

Wait a sec...

Now I'll admit that this synch is BY FAR the coolest (if you haven't tried it, DO IT), but where have you ever seen that it was intentional on the part of the Floyd? I've never read that anywhere. Point me to a source, if you would.

SONIDOMONO
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Syncmovies (www.syncmovies.com/)

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2281/insertcoingameoverbe8.gif (http://www.rainemu.com/games/)

scmods
09-17-2006, 05:58 AM
I'd have thought if it was intentionally synced then the album should be a lot longer!!

matthehat
04-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Slight problem. The filming dates and the recording dates don't match up. The scenes in abbey road are actually just staged, so that's one up for the conspiracy. I don't believe for one second that the sync is deliberate, but it is pretty damn weird...