PDA

View Full Version : Your FLAC/SHN/media player of choice?

AnyColourYouLike
12-18-2007, 09:39 PM
I've been using WinAmp with some satisfaction, but it's not the most orderly program. What do you PF vet's find is the most all-around and accessible lossless music player?

thank!

radiowaves
12-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Foobar, or vlc. Either one of them play any lossles files. VLC also plays any format of movies, once you have the right codecs installed

Martin

kardyl
12-19-2007, 07:05 AM
As with radiowaves, I use foobar for all audio - lossless and the other stuff. VLC does all the video. Both easy to use and do nearly everything (except make a cuppa - but I have a wife :shut: oops! That should say life.)

MarchingHammers
12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I prefer Winamp and always have, mainly for the mind boggling amount of available plugins (I'm especially fond of any kind of plugin that enhances sound and lets you tweak it while your music plays in real time.)

-MH

Pottel
12-19-2007, 06:28 PM
listening:foobar (i know Winamp is the addonn pimpmeister, but mine crashes all the time)
whatching: VLC.....(you know, whatching unfinished files, whilst downloading features and all...)

meddle23
12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
AIMP2 and Winamp... although AIMP2 doesn't have a SHN codec :(

Novak
12-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Errrr Well, Kardyl, MY wife saw your post and is ringing your wife. Don't how she knows your number, name or anything else that is required to do this but rest assured, it's gonna happen. It's a female thing.

(she must have some kind of secret software. She's cackling as well, right NOW!!!)

Was nice knowing you!!!

Novak :-)

rockthing
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I like mplayer

but recently I've had some trouble with .shn files

and found out recently it won't deal with .ape at all.

AnyColourYouLike
12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Foobar seems super plain to me. I guess there just isn't a program that's as as visually pleasing as iTunes that plays lossless :(

the Flea
12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I currently use KMP, it plays quite a few audio and video files straight out of the box. Adding a few codecs make it play absolutely everything audio and video wise. Skinnable, it can even look like WinAmp if you so desire.
www.kmplayer.com/forums/forums.php

Beechwoods
12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
For the Mac... Cog (http://cogx.org/) is the best music player around. There's also a Quicktime component that allows FLAC playback in the Finder, Quicktime and (though I've not tried it myself) iTunes, but it's a bit of a messy job to get it to work. See http://barelyfocused.net/blog/2006/10/12/native-flac-in-itunesquicktime/

SuperDude2111
12-31-2007, 02:43 AM
I personally used WMP for a while. But now I only use Winamp for audio. Of course VLC for video!

mollymutt
12-31-2007, 02:43 AM
I just use Windows Media Player. I don't remember what codec I had to download, but I haven't had any problems with it at all.

RadioKaos
01-07-2008, 04:52 AM
I burn the FLAC's to an Audio CD and put that up as master. I then make the FLAC's into MP3's at a bitrate of 320. Stays pretty high quality and I still have the actual CD at full quality.

I have so much music it's just not realistic to keep every thing on the HD in FLAC format.

So my media player is Itunes on my Windows PC and Amarok on Linux.

lordtomaso
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Audio : Foobar is the one ! :D
Video : Media Player Classic

wimpkins
01-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I use Media Monkey.

The free version plays FLAC right out of the box and with a quick and easy plug-in, it's ready for SHN as well.

I find MM to be the most user friendly player available.

If you have a big library then MM is the best. It's very easy to organize and you can delete, cut, paste and move files (and so on) just like you're in Windows Explorer.

Love it.

Pottel
01-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I have so much music it's just not realistic to keep every thing on the HD in FLAC format.

get more ext. HD's! the stuff's so cheap these days.
after adoring WD for a while, i now moved onto the Buffalo Drive Station Duo 1TB drives, they are at 249€ and you can probably get them a bit cheaper if you really look.
oh, and did i mention Foobar and VLC rule the world??
gonna take a look atthis KMP player though...
thanks fo that tip.

dmpc
06-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I use Eufony.

goa
06-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I used mainly KMPlayer, have nice tweaks to make a roio sound better...

but This year I turned to foobar2000...the only thing piss me off is I still don't found where the hell is the balance switch???

dougprit
06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Gotta be Foobar its like me very simple

gotta_be_crazy
06-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Foobar rulez

zane2707
06-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I hawe some problem with shn files ,when i conv.in to any other format i loose some files

jimfisheye
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't have a favorite player right now!
Lets see...
I like the iTunes interface but Apple apparently stopped development 10 years ago because FLAC support must still be added manually and it's kludgey. Fail.
Cog is nice and simple - pretty limited features though. Inconvenient.
Play is better. All the basic features seem to be there. The interface isn't very elegant though. I seem to be using this one the most right now.

Alright, I keep seeing all these praises of Foobar. Every time I go back and try it I think the same thing. The interface is really unintuitive and archaic to me - it feels like using some spread sheet program from 15 years ago or something. To be fair, I'm running the windows version in OSX (couldn't find a native Mac version) but this doesn't change how it looks and runs.

Then of course there's still currently no convenient media player for lossless surround sound program. Yes, there are some proprietary soundcard + software systems but nothing that interfaces with standard core audio and lets you send multichannel to a standard audio interface.

I've heard Songbird recommended but I haven't tried it yet.

grete
06-05-2010, 04:40 PM
WavePad Sound Editor is wonderful to check Your files !
You can also use it as a player if you want !

AnyColourYouLike
06-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I switched to Songbird from iTunes/Winamp about a year ago. It has all the visual appeal of iTunes with more customizable interface options. In addition, it has FLAC plugins. I would say this is my all around recommendation but it is yet to have SHN support. Other than that it is my favorite player, takes the strengths from iTunes/Winamp and puts them together.

Novak
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Foobar. Simples!!!! :)

Merofloyd
06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
MediaMonkey Gold is best!!!

Very easy library functions,tags,etc.
to listen SHN,FLAC etc just download plugins from internet (free) :)
awesome EQ!

clovnul
06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Foobar2000

jimfisheye
06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Songbird just got 3 strikes. Fail.
Tried Foobar again... really horrible interface and ugly to look at.
I guess "Play" still wins. Man, I wish Apple would update iTunes one of these years (STILL no native flac support)...

More and more, open source apps are becoming the most user friendly and stable while the "professional" offerings are bug riddled broken feature abominations.

clovnul
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I like the default interface. I usually tweak it just a bit.

You can find here a lot of skins.
http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/media/foobar2000/?q=foobar2000

goa
06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Songbird just got 3 strikes. Fail.
Tried Foobar again... really horrible interface and ugly to look at.
I guess "Play" still wins. Man, I wish Apple would update iTunes one of these years (STILL no native flac support)...

More and more, open source apps are becoming the most user friendly and stable while the "professional" offerings are bug riddled broken feature abominations.

you are a Mac user, right?
imho iTunes sucks, although I would like to be able to afford a Mac :lol:

about foobar2000, you really care about the "ugliness"...you are a man of music, I don't believe that is really an important thing!!!!

jimfisheye
06-18-2010, 12:58 AM
you are a Mac user, right?
imho iTunes sucks, although I would like to be able to afford a Mac :lol:

about foobar2000, you really care about the "ugliness"...you are a man of music, I don't believe that is really an important thing!!!!

I'm a dedicated Mac user and I think iTunes really sucks! What I meant by ugliness was not cosmetic but the way the program operates. My slang didn't translate, sorry! Play is much quicker for me to operate. Foobar uses more resources too but that might be because I'm running a Windows program directly in OSX.

I buy my Macs used and broken on eBay and repair them. There are deals to be had!

tjmack
06-19-2010, 01:55 AM
PCs are even cheaper with more varied software. But I do like all things Apple - to iPad or not to iPad...?

Media players (for windows PC) - doesn't reallly matter what you use as long as you hunt down those codec packs. Players I use now are Foobar for audio and VLC or WMP for video -don't forget those codec packs.

surfling
06-19-2010, 11:14 AM
i agree that foobar is pretty ugly and not exactly intuitive when it comes to tweaking it a little - BUT it is totally worth it once you've spent a little time on it.

my favourite feature is that you can have tabbed playlists - so you alway have your fave playlists in view. works nicely as well on netbook sized screens.
and of course it plays absolutely everything - even wavepack!

and finally i like this (from the foobar faq page):

"Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of the other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now."

that kind of modesty would suit some of the bigger players well...

dougprit
06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Foobar is ugly but it does all I want it to, a bit like the wife really.

(hope she's not a member or I'm a dead man)

Tried Songbird looked pretty but not easy to use, of course if your really insane you could try using something by Creative. I always find that anything by Apple appears to want to download a lot of thing update and decorate the item that you want.

I suppose Foobar is function over form, I'm not really looking at Foobar while I'm listening to it. I like the fact that any audio file I double click it plays. Never really been one for play lists (come on I still like mono LP's). I never really know what I want to listen to until I'm browsing through the folders

Agree with who ever said WavePad Sound Editor is a good program (you use the trial version for 30 days and when you go to uninstall the program it offers you the free version which works fine) its better for some actions than Audacity. Nero Wave Editor has its uses to

jimfisheye
06-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Play has playlists as well. And all the "smart playlist" tabs that will sort automatically by artist, song, etc. The program is a LOT more responsive than Foobar. No corruption of high res audio (24 bit 96k and so forth). Trust me, I'm not a Mac fanboy when it comes to a lot of their software.
More software available for Windows? That's just not possible. By default you can run most Windows programs directly in OSX (without having Windows installed). I don't believe you can run Apple software in Windows.

Well, the main theme seems to be we all like open source software better!
Imagine that...

Never really been one for play lists (come on I still like mono LP's). I never really know what I want to listen to until I'm browsing through the folders
I like the instant access via playlists (album, artist type sorting - I don't make "mix tape" lists and all that). I still listen to albums of course (mono and stereo) for the fidelity. I still think the album side (ie. just one side) if the perfect length for a block of music. I always want to hear something new (thank you Yeeshkul forum!) otherwise I'll just end up staring at the list... and that's what shuffle play is for.

I always find that anything by Apple appears to want to download a lot of thing update and decorate the item that you want
I find that, especially with media players, the default preference settings are usually set to lowest-quality-most-corruption-possible. And not just Apple is doing this. I think this is a conspiracy and request by the riaa types. See, you can correct the settings, so the product isn't really broken but 9 out of 10 people will not investigate or figure this out so they won't be able to copy their music losslessly simply because it's been so corrupted there's nothing left to copy. That's what I think. So the first time you run any program, go through the preference settings first.
Example:
With iTunes (no flac support - don't use it - for example only) if you launch the program, neglect to investigate preference settings and just start importing some CD's, you will hit the roof when you discover it converted them all to low level mp3's. Ha ha, then you can hit the "burn CD" button and make a corrupted CD from the mp3... see where this is going... You have to go into preferences and turn that suck button (technical term) off first.

jimfisheye
07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
update:
I'm back to "none of the above" again...
The new version of Play has serious bugs (likely related to the fact that it's only 32bit software). I'm back to Songbird. This isn't too bad if you first turn off all the stupid "go to the online store", "share your playlists" crap. Then deny Songbird ALL access to the internet and you're good to go. Seriously considering trying Foobar again...

goa
07-12-2010, 06:02 PM
man, foobar is simple and good.

BUT..

This is not an ironic comment@ JFE, I remember that you work or study as a musician (but my memory could be wrong).

I suppose you have the chance to use a great professional media player???

I suppose there must be top-professional-high-end players used at professional studios???

jimfisheye
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
man, foobar is simple and good.

BUT..

This is not an ironic comment@ JFE, I remember that you work or study as a musician (but my memory could be wrong).

I suppose you have the chance to use a great professional media player???

I suppose there must be top-professional-high-end players used at professional studios???

Ha ha, I wish! There is no secret high end player unfortunately or I'd share. We listen to work in progress with whatever DAW we're using and then master to a consumer format. It's depressing these days because the companies making consumer products are focusing more on preventing consumers from playing music and corrupting music files than actually delivering music in the best quality.

Foobar's easy eh?
OK, how do you drag and drop a folder of song files into Foobar and have it automatically make a playlist from that? Having to use menu selections to do this is much too time consuming to be useful to me. What about "smart" playlists - the ability to create playlists by tags?

I keep my collection on a number of hard drives. Sometimes I only have a subset plugged in. I sort my music simply with the Finder - much quicker than the kludgy media browsers built into these media players. (That would be like an Explorer window - not IE - for Win users.) I don't spend any time creating playlists - they are a fleeting temporary thing, deleted when finished. I want to be able to drag whatever I want (sometimes the entire collection) from a Finder window into the media player, see it turn into a playlist and hit play. This should take no more than 3 seconds and never require a menu command selection from the media player.

Honestly, I like the iTunes interface but Apple hasn't touch it in years and flac support is obnoxious. Play hasn't been touched in a while either and doesn't work well in 64bit systems. Songbird I can put up with if I deny it all access to the internet.

goa
07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
(about foobar, seems I don't care selecting tracks and you do, so there is nothing I can say!!!).

man, I don't ask you to share here pro software, but I mean, in professional settings, MUST be high end players!!!!

To say it simple, Rick Rubin and Steve Hoffmann don't only listen baked tapes :lol:

For example, I'm an ignorant, but Pro-Tools must have a decent player.
The studios that made DVD-A and Blu Rays, etc and etc.

It's obvious.

jimfisheye
07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
(about foobar, seems I don't care selecting tracks and you do, so there is nothing I can say!!!).

man, I don't ask you to share here pro software, but I mean, in professional settings, MUST be high end players!!!!

To say it simple, Rick Rubin and Steve Hoffmann don't only listen baked tapes :lol:

For example, I'm an ignorant, but Pro-Tools must have a decent player.
The studios that made DVD-A and Blu Rays, etc and etc.

It's obvious.

Nope! We make product for commercial players. The idea is to use a media player that doesn't corrupt or dumb-down the audio (usually only a concern with some of the various Windows apps). There's still no media player for the lossless surround on a DVDA - you must rip the disc to discreet wav files and play them in a DAW (takes 20 minutes to load up an album the 1st time but it's instant after that - bonus: you can save any specific album settings with each album - like bass management settings that could be different from one album to the next). Blu-ray is still a nitch market. There are still no media players for the computer and this is by design from the creators. They want to sell you restricted hardware players that cost 1000s of times what they're worth (audio quality wise). I do not consider this a format to use or support yet*. Or ever. I want electronic files and computer based media players only. Lets hope that the folks at DTS stop talking to Sony and finish the new DTS master HD format for the computer (this is the new proposed lossless interleaved format for surround).

*This kinda sucks because it's the only format to allow high res video along with high res audio. You have to pick one or the other with DVD. Worthless though if you have to listen to it through the crappy DACs in hardware disc players instead of the high end external DACs in your system!

goa
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
:confused:

well, at least I found what you mean with DAW :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation#Free_and_open_source_sof tware
anyway, I suppose the Free and open source software could manage 24/192 (to say something).

but...the people that MADE sourroud audio (DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray) must have sowftware to built and play it before burn the discs !!!! That's clear.
If that is made in a DAW...

...maybe some of these Free and open source software too.

now listening a nice Sting Xmas "album in flac" in my work's PC, using foobar2000 plugged with RCA cables to my old JVC micro system PC-W35 bought in 1986.

http://www.shizaudio.ru/audio/./data/media/12/JVC_PC-W35.jpg

jimfisheye
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
but...the people that MADE sourroud audio (DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray) must have sowftware to built and play it before burn the discs !!!! That's clear.
Oh, sure! Sonic Solutions DVD authoring software sells for around $5000. Again, Protools is all about working with audio, nothing less and nothing more. The consumer formats these days are all about deception and secret decoder rings! The creators are very protective. Call them out or offer something better and you get sued.

...maybe some of these Free and open source software too.
Um... no. When somebody writes one they get bought out or sued to stop.

goa
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
well, until moths ago there was no way to rip properly a SACD...now it's possible...no one belived in that in 2008.

surely some wise guys will "write" the proper software to play losslees multichannels and blurays and will be distributed in the "usual" places ;)

you can't hide the Sun with a finger (as we say here, no puedes tapar el Sol con un dedo).

jimfisheye
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
well, until moths ago there was no way to rip properly a SACD...now it's possible...no one belived in that in 2008.

surely some wise guys will "write" the proper software to play losslees multichannels and blurays and will be distributed in the "usual" places ;)

you can't hide the Sun with a finger (as we say here, no puedes tapar el Sol con un dedo).

Yep, open source is taking over. Once these monopolies finally die and the lawsuits stops things will get better.