PDA

View Full Version : A college student with a rather interesting problem

Gordy
2006-09-04, 09:39 PM
Okay, as of about a week or so ago, I've returned to my dorms at college. Last year, regarding torrents, us students took whatever small blessings we could since so many of the ports were blocked; speeds were slow, but we got something.

However, this year there's a bit of a change. I believe I can actually run my torrent program (like Azureus or ABC) if I had a torrent--however, the network has prevented us from even downloading one of the blasted things! A right click, a save as...and nothing. It just sits and waits.

So, this is a rather odd problem, and if anyone can help me find a way to bypass it, it'd be much appreciated. If not, then thanks all the same for your time.

DaFloyd
2006-09-04, 11:13 PM
Not sure if this would solve your problem or not, but might be worth a try. What if someone e-mailed (or PM'd) you the .torrent file, would you then be able to download the file? :confused: The .torrent files are only like 20KB, some only 12KB or so.

lordtomaso
2006-09-05, 12:15 AM
Yeah or change the extension of the .torrent files, like .torren.

MarchingHammers
2006-09-05, 12:49 AM
Okay, as of about a week or so ago, I've returned to my dorms at college. Last year, regarding torrents, us students took whatever small blessings we could since so many of the ports were blocked; speeds were slow, but we got something.

However, this year there's a bit of a change. I believe I can actually run my torrent program (like Azureus or ABC) if I had a torrent--however, the network has prevented us from even downloading one of the blasted things! A right click, a save as...and nothing. It just sits and waits.

So, this is a rather odd problem, and if anyone can help me find a way to bypass it, it'd be much appreciated. If not, then thanks all the same for your time.

Well that is a big problem there. They let you use the actual BT programs yet you can't even download a .torrent file?

The ideas mentioned above are your best bets I suppose. Your network at your dorm must be filtering anything with an extension of ".torrent"

if only you could find a way to bypass that...

MarchingHammers
2006-09-05, 12:51 AM
Also..if you use utorrent you can add torrents to your client via url instead of actually downloading them onto your desktop or wherever. See if you can use that program instead..

MarchingHammers

Gordy
2006-09-05, 01:19 AM
Also..if you use utorrent you can add torrents to your client via url instead of actually downloading them onto your desktop or wherever. See if you can use that program instead..

MarchingHammers

Thanks for all your responses; I believe the PMing the torrent files idea would work, but I would hate to pester people with requests.

I have tried copying the torrent's URL into Azureus, but it didn't download the torrent then either. Do you think uTorrent would act any differently?

Roughcut
2006-09-05, 01:30 AM
Saving a file with a download manager like Net Transport may help. You could set it to download a file through multiple "transports" , I think saving through the browser uses only one. That may trick whatever program oversees the download and allow it to come through.
Good luck!

tjmack
2006-09-05, 02:08 AM
Not sure if this would solve your problem or not, but might be worth a try. What if someone e-mailed (or PM'd) you the .torrent file, would you then be able to download the file? :confused: The .torrent files are only like 20KB, some only 12KB or so.

Wouldn't work. Each torrent gets an unique hashkey for that person. And that's by design to stop folk sharing the torrents outwith Yeeshkul

If you are not allowed to change browser settings or install a different one I think you're screwed.

T.

Gordy
2006-09-05, 02:18 AM
Wouldn't work. Each torrent gets an unique hashkey for that person. And that's by design to stop folk sharing the torrents outwith Yeeshkul

If you are not allowed to change browser settings or install a different one I think you're screwed.

T.

Well, if Yeeshkul and TradersDen torrents have personal hashkeys, do you think DimeaDozen torrents would work?

MarchingHammers
2006-09-05, 05:04 AM
I believe Dime is the same way also. Just about any torrent site you have to sign up for has that special feature. Try downloading an outside sourced torrent file through a search engine and i can promise you you'll get an error saying you need to sign up for so-so site.

I'm guessing your network admin is a tight ass so asking him/her to allow .torrent files would be asking for too much :(

tjmack
2006-09-05, 03:13 PM
Well, if Yeeshkul and TradersDen torrents have personal hashkeys, do you think DimeaDozen torrents would work?

Nope, They use them too. Most private trackers do these days.

T.