PDA

View Full Version : Why SHN format for shows posted here?

acapulcogold
05-19-2008, 04:14 AM
I was just curious as to why the majority of shows that are posted here are in SHN format?

Is this some sort of preference that Floyd collectors have?, and if it is a preference, why do you prefer it over formats like Flac? or APE?

Cheers

mooncusser
05-19-2008, 05:03 AM
I think we see a pretty good mix of SHN and FLAC, with the more recent items being in FLAC. SHN is still used but I think we see it on some of the older items. Don't think we've ever seen much in APE, but that's fine with me as my personal preference is for FLAC first and then SHN.

MarchingHammers
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure if I can give a definitive answer but if I had to guess on one I would say that SHN in the past was a bit more developed than FLAC at the time.

Now the roles have reversed. FLAC files have more control over what you can achieve in the overall audio editing process and automatically lets you seek to any point in a track, whereas SHN you have to create a .skt file to let you do as such.

-MH

tjmack
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
As has already been suggested, it's simply because SHN was the first of the audio formats to be widely accepted.

A large number of these shows come from the DC hubs where they've been traded in their original released format for years, and where there's a general rule not to change from the original archive format files.

T.

Novak
05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
In real terms, does the format matter??

If you encode, use what you like to use. If you decode, get what software you require.

I'm sure there's all kinds of arguments as to which encodes and decodes best, but what you end up chossing is up to you i guess.

Novak

oldpink
05-20-2008, 01:50 AM
The most obvious reason to me is that SHN is an older format for lossless WAV compression over the superior in every way FLAC.
Therefore, there is still quite a lot of material out there that was compressed with SHN, and no one bothered to decompress, then re-encode to FLAC.
Speaking for myself, I always store my audio files in FLAC format.
FLAC has much better seek support, significantly greater compression, informative meta tag support, and (best of all!) is a completely open source piece of software that is free and ported to several operating systems, including my beloved Linux.
Why worry about what format seeders use if you can simply do as I do, seeing as how there is no real mystery about to decompress those SHN files, then convert to FLAC; even for me, as - yes - there is even a port of Shorten (SHN compressor/decompressor) sitting on my Linux box right now.
;)

acapulcogold
06-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Appreciate the responses to my question.

Just wanted to clarify though, I didn't raise the question about why most Floyd shows are in SHN format because I found it to be a bother or anything of a negative nature ( I have SHN plugins for all my programs that play and burn live music)

I was just curious about whether SHN was a preferred method of audio encoding amongst Floyd fans, and if so, I was hoping for an explaination about why.

I found it curious because the majority of live music I come across is in flac format, and seems to be more popular than SHN these days.

But as some people know, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

But I do appreciate the responses to my question.

Cheers

oldpink
06-03-2008, 01:28 AM
It is no contest: FLAC is superior in every way, mainly for the reasons that I cited earlier.
SHN just got there first.

plains203
06-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Excatly what OldPink said. Shn was there first but is inferior to FLAC. Shn is fine but compression ratio's are lower and the player support is lower. There are also standalone players that support Flac now. Most new shows are circulated as Flac.

tjmack
06-03-2008, 05:02 AM
It is no contest: FLAC is superior in every way, mainly for the reasons that I cited earlier.
SHN just got there first.

Exactly, so don't go Flac'ing up files just for the sake of a few MBs. If the filles came to you in SHN, keep them that way.

T.

Beechwoods
06-03-2008, 06:17 AM
For standalone player support, get Rockbox firmware (www.rockbox.org) which allows both FLAC and SHN playback on iPods, Cowon iAudio, iRiver and a bunch of other portable players. It plays back a bunch of lossy codecs too. No need to reencode simply to play on your portable...

andy_672
06-03-2008, 05:47 PM
There are 2x big advantages to flac over shn

1 more software supports it for both playing & editing

2 if you have a corrupt file it is possible to recover flac to another format like wav then edit the bad sector,shn will not be able to recover anything after the bad sector - which is why the checksum files are so important to include

littlepieces
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Appreciate the responses to my question.

Just wanted to clarify though, I didn't raise the question about why most Floyd shows are in SHN format because I found it to be a bother or anything of a negative nature ( I have SHN plugins for all my programs that play and burn live music)

I was just curious about whether SHN was a preferred method of audio encoding amongst Floyd fans, and if so, I was hoping for an explaination about why.

I found it curious because the majority of live music I come across is in flac format, and seems to be more popular than SHN these days.

But as some people know, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

But I do appreciate the responses to my question.

Cheers

Sounds like you been Downloading some older Floyd shows in their original form. Thats a good thing since you can be more certain they haven't been burned to CDR and then extracted to FLAC. You must have got alot of them to think that most of the shows are in shn on this tracker when its more than 5 to 1 flac.

PS. Get your ratio up or no more Zeppelin for you. :D

Arnold_Layne
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Speaking for the PinkRoioShn hub where I was the host for a few years, we used SHN in the beginning because when FLAC was introduced, you could not use it on Mac's without a complete OS upgrade. I'm not a Mac user, but we had decided on SHN for wider compatibility. Now that most Mac users have upgraded their OS's over the years, everyone seems to have shifted over to FLAC. For me, either is acceptable, but FLAC is preferable these days for the reasons stated in previous posts in this thread.

A_L

GroovingPict
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
There are 2x big advantages to flac over shn

1 more software supports it for both playing & editing

And also hardware support. Flac has very fast decompress time, regardless of what level you compress at, compared to other lossless formats. In portable devices, processing time equals battery consumption, so the one that can do it by using the least amount of energy is of course the prefered choice.. which is why Flac is supported by many hardware players, while hardly any other lossless formats have any hardware support at all.
I believe this is Flac's greatest advantage over other formats such as Monkey's Audio etc (which actually produces slightly smaller files than Flac does..)

Cheers,
Tor

andy_672
06-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Thats very intersting I didn't realise there were hardware players for flac
I guess I'm too old for these new fangled technological things (ha ha)

GroovingPict
06-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Thats very intersting I didn't realise there were hardware players for flac
I guess I'm too old for these new fangled technological things (ha ha)

here's a list of some of the devices that plays Flac:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware
Note that on the list is also iPod, although you need a modded firmware for that one. For most of the other devices, they play Flac straight out of the box.

Cheers,
Tor

acapulcogold
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
here's a list of some of the devices that plays Flac:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware
Note that on the list is also iPod, although you need a modded firmware for that one. For most of the other devices, they play Flac straight out of the box.

Cheers,
Tor

That's very interesting, and very good to know.

My discman recently "gave up the ghost", and I've been looking everywhere in my area to find another discman to replace it, but everything involving music these days is revolving around Ipods ( at least in my specific area).

I've been afraid that I would have to extract the audio from my discs or files, and batch process them into MP3's to take my music with me.

But if there are FLAC plugin's for IPod's, that is definately great news to hear.

Cheers

Darkcycle
09-23-2008, 04:56 PM
My discman recently "gave up the ghost", and I've been looking everywhere in my area to find another discman to replace it, but everything involving music these days is revolving around Ipods ( at least in my specific area).

I know what you mean, mine died recently too, and it seems that except for cheap crap, nobody makes discmen anymore. Luckily, I found a nice Sony at a second-hand store (Hock Shop) for $15, quality player too. All the retail stores seem to offer are iPods and MP3 Players, unless you go with a portable DVD player that also supports CDs & MP3 Discs.

Cheers,
D.

Arnold_Layne
09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
www.rockbox.org

They make modified firmware and software for many portable mp3 players to play lossless files such as Flac and Shn.

AnyColourYouLike
09-23-2008, 05:37 PM
www.rockbox.org

They make modified firmware and software for many portable mp3 players to play lossless files such as Flac and Shn.

Are you saying my iPod can play FLAC's with this? (gasp)

Arnold_Layne
09-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Are you saying my iPod can play FLAC's with this? (gasp)

Works great on my ipod photo. Can even play 24/96 wav files with it :)

AnyColourYouLike
09-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow! Guess that makes my SHN/FLAC -> WAV converter pretty obsolete ;)