Thread: Piper At The Gates of Dawn Release Anniversary

Thanks

Default Piper At The Gates of Dawn Release Anniversary

It was 49 years ago today -

Shamelessly copied from Wikipedia:

I opened the door and nearly shit myself ... by Christ it was loud. I had certainly never heard anything quite like it before.

Abbey Road engineer Pete Bown describing his introduction to "Interstellar Overdrive"

The original UK LP (with a monaural mix) was released on 5 August 1967, and one month later it was released in stereophonic mix. It reached number six on the UK charts.

(Aug 5th in UK = Aug 4th in US)
    Last edited by MrFender; 2016-08-04 at 09:54 PM.
    "You're my family and I love you. But you're terrible, you're all terrible" - Bob's Burgers

Thanks

Happy birthday Piper!!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks

For me, the best album EVER MADE. Nothing else sounds like it. It is the textbook on what British psychedelia is all about. Gave it a blast last week for probably the 5000th time and it never ceases to entertain and delight me.

And here's another wonderful thing... a few other albums in my top ten from that era - The Zombies' "Odessey and Oracle", The Beatles "White Album", The Pretty Things' "S.F. Sorrow" were ALL recorded at Abbey Road. An astonishing hive and laboratory of creativity.

Maybe a time to pause and remember those involved who are no longer with us - Norman Smith, Peter Bown, Richard Wright and Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett.

pickard11 Guest

The new vinyl pressing brought out a few more details in the music i had not noticed before (or perhaps it's the wine?).
    Regardless, truly a classic album and definitely in my top ten of all time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    For me, the best album EVER MADE. Nothing else sounds like it. It is the textbook on what British psychedelia is all about. Gave it a blast last week for probably the 5000th time and it never ceases to entertain and delight me.

And here's another wonderful thing... a few other albums in my top ten from that era - The Zombies' "Odessey and Oracle", The Beatles "White Album", The Pretty Things' "S.F. Sorrow" were ALL recorded at Abbey Road. An astonishing hive and laboratory of creativity.

Maybe a time to pause and remember those involved who are no longer with us - Norman Smith, Peter Bown, Richard Wright and Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett.
    Indeed. Piper still gives me chills. I can't put that album on innocently and expect to have it on in the background. I love every era of Pink Floyd, but this album is a standout amid a collection of standouts. Happy Piper day everyone! I am grinning just thinking about all the new Syd era goodies we will have soon.

Thanks

I kinda wish they would have released a cd version of the US Tower release as part of the release a few years ago (the one with the stereo and mono versions). Have the artwork done in mini version like the way the did the artwork for the "oh by the way" release.