Thread: UK Music Paper reporting of Final Cut *before* release?

Thanks

Default UK Music Paper reporting of Final Cut *before* release?

I'm not even sure of the year or which UK music paper but I've a memory of reading in the Melody Maker (NME?) probably in summer 1982 a news snippet before the release of the Final Cut which was the first news of the next PF album.

It may have only been a couple of paragraphs long and I think it quoted Gilmour about recording a new album (not sure even it gave the name or not?).

Obviousily it got me all excited at the time and I didn't think the Final Cut was half as a bad an album on release as many did.

Does any know what this news report was and ideally have a scan?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floweredup View Post
    I'm not even sure of the year or which UK music paper but I've a memory of reading in the Melody Maker (NME?) probably in summer 1982 a news snippet before the release of the Final Cut which was the first news of the next PF album.

It may have only been a couple of paragraphs long and I think it quoted Gilmour about recording a new album (not sure even it gave the name or not?).

Obviousily it got me all excited at the time and I didn't think the Final Cut was half as a bad an album on release as many did.

Have this but don't think is what you're looking for ...
    24.07.1982 'Floyd get busy' - NME.png
    From NME, 24 July 1982

Thanks

Thanks! That's really interesting (although the information isn't quite right in hindsight).

I think there was a similar report in Melody Maker (or maybe Sounds) about the same time late July 1982 which was more accurate about how they were just going into the studio to record The Final Cut.

Thanks

Hmm... the description you give is more apt of this Billboard piece (issue from 18 Sept 1982).
    I hope this helps even though it's not what you're looking for.

near Liverpool England, just across the Mersey on The Wirral
    Thanks

NME, Melody Maker and Sounds, all reported that Pink Floyd were to release The Final Cut, that's what the weekly music mags did.
    TFC did not just suddenly appear in record shops you know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floyd_zenith View Post
    Hmm... the description you give is more apt of this Billboard piece (issue from 18 Sept 1982).
    I hope this helps even though it's not what you're looking for.
    Thanks that is interesting. As far as I can remember Gilmour seemed quite up beat about recording The Final Cut in the article.

This probably means it was right at the start of the recording process!

Thanks

Thanks that is interesting. As far as I can remember Gilmour seemed quite up beat about recording The Final Cut in the article.

This probably means it was right at the start of the recording process!
    I love Gilmour's playing on The Final Cut. There are moments that are among his best ever and it definitely sounds inspired in spite of whatever he may say about the album now after the fact. People say it's a Waters solo album... well, maybe. I can see why, however David and even Nick make their presence known. It's always sounded like Floyd to me, but a kind of wounded and angry version of the band which is exactly what it was, I suppose. I love it, personally. There is not another album like it in the world.