Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Pink Floyd 1974-11-04 - Picts in the Highlands

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,347
    Thanked 8,107 Times in 104 Posts

    Default Pink Floyd 1974-11-04 - Picts in the Highlands

    Usher Hall, Edinburgh
    Lothian, Scotland
    November 4, 1974 (misdated, should be November 5)


    "Picts In The Highlands" - unknown label


    Disc One:

    1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (pt 1-9) 23:04
    2. Raving And Drooling 14:29
    3. Echoes 23:22

    Disc Two:

    1. Speak To Me 2:31
    2. Breathe 3:04
    3. On the Run 5:36
    4. Time 5:46
    5. Breathe (reprise) 1:03
    6. Great Gig In The Sky 7:17
    7. Money 9:22
    8. Us And Them 8:25
    9. Any Colour You Like 8:59
    10. Brain Damage 3:54
    11. Eclipse 1:55


    Source: Audience

    CD Reference: Edinburgh 4.11.74, British Winter Tour 74 Vol 1, Picts In The Highlands

    LP Reference:

    Comments:
    Start of U.K. Tour (Nov 4 - Dec 14, 1974)

    Quality: Very Good


    ***NOT TO BE ENCODED AS MP3***
    Last edited by Bert13; 2008-04-20 at 06:03 PM. Reason: wrong date

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,347
    Thanked 8,107 Times in 104 Posts

    Thumbs up

    Thanks to tj for his kind advice, I'm happy it's working now. Hope you'll enjoy the show as much as I do, It's quite hissy and a bit distant recording but the instruments and vocals can be heard clear enough to make this an enjoyable listen, at least IMO. First show of the UK tour of 1974.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    2,378
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A little German bird once told me that this is actually the 5th November 1974 and not the 4th... I have it on my list as such and apparently the Usher Hall Archives state that Floyd only performed 1 date - that being the 5th.

    Littlesheep has it listed as 5th too but I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this as the majority vote has always tended to lean to the 4th.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,347
    Thanked 8,107 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    A little German bird once told me that this is actually the 5th November 1974 and not the 4th... I have it on my list as such and apparently the Usher Hall Archives state that Floyd only performed 1 date - that being the 5th.

    Littlesheep has it listed as 5th too but I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this as the majority vote has always tended to lean to the 4th.
    You may be right, you may be wrong, I can't tell you for sure. My PF Tour list shows two shows at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh, one on the 4th and one the 5th.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    2,378
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    You may be right, you may be wrong, I can't tell you for sure. My PF Tour list shows two shows at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh, one on the 4th and one the 5th.

    and so does Vernon Fitch's PF Encyclopedia and I would NEVER argue against that. I don't suppose we will ever know for sure which date this is from or will we.............

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,347
    Thanked 8,107 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    We would need someone who has actually witnessed the show(s) and has a clear memory, not clouded with certain illegal substances. That might settle it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    2,378
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordsnooty View Post
    At the start of the show on the 4th a member of the audience shouted out
    "We're all here!" to which Mr. Waters replied " We're here as well, this is a
    new tune called SOYCD" The second number is prefaced with the words
    "This is called Raving and Drooling I fell on his neck with a scream"

    On the second night (5th) Rog misses the words "you reached" at the start of the second verse of SOYD, and introduces the second number "This is another new tune,it's called R and D"
    If you check, I think this is the recording being seeded here.
    Nice one Lordsnooty I knew someone would have an answer... good call!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 791 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    and so does Vernon Fitch's PF Encyclopedia and I would NEVER argue against that. I don't suppose we will ever know for sure which date this is from or will we.............
    I can tell you that Vernon did a great job with his book but it DOES have many mistakes in it. It is not the definitive PF reference that most people think it to be. It can be argued against easily. But it is still a fantastic read.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    2,378
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pftest View Post
    I can tell you that Vernon did a great job with his book but it DOES have many mistakes in it. It is not the definitive PF reference that most people think it to be. It can be argued against easily. But it is still a fantastic read.
    pftest - What would you say is a definitive reference then? just curious as I'm always looking for new books ........

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,347
    Thanked 8,107 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    pftest - What would you say is a definitive reference then? just curious as I'm always looking for new books ........
    Do you know Povey's and Russell's Pink Floyd: in the Flesh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •