Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - Violin Bow

Thanks

Default Roger Waters - Violin Bow

I was just reading my way through the new "Pink Floyd Revealed" book and noticed a great early picture of the band on page 27 in the 1965-68 section, which shows Roger Waters on stage playing his Rickenbacker bass (I think) with a violin bow!

I never realised that this was something that he had done, does anyone know which song he is likely to be using this on?

The picture also includes Syd Barrett and Nick Mason (Nick's drums don't have any markings except "Premier" on them) and there's also a large model duck at the front of the stage next to Syd!

Would this mean that Roger did this before Jimmy Page did the same on "Dazed and Confused"?

Thanks

That would be from the Games for May concert, May '67. I believe Roger used a violin bow to conjure curious noises from his bass on Lucifer Sam.

Thanks

I'm not sure but Rog does this on the Old Scarecrow Promo

Thanks

There is certainly a bow solo on Lucifer sam, and maybe the cello sounds on The Scarecrow is a bow as well.

Not sure who exactly did it first, probably Eddie Phillips of The Creation, or even Lee Jackson of The Nice used a bow on some tracks. Those were heady times.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orgone Accumulator View Post
    Not sure who exactly did it first, probably Eddie Phillips of The Creation, or even Lee Jackson of The Nice used a bow on some tracks. Those were heady times.
    Eddie Phillips was the first. Shel Talmy says that Jimmy Page copied him. Phillips was using it as early as 1965 whilst Page began using it in 1967. Unfortunately thanks to The Creation meaning very little outside of Germany, Page is too often credited with pioneering this technique not helped by Page never admitting he was influenced by Phillips.

at home in wolverhampton u.k or in a tent up a mountain or sumsuch.
    Thanks

Jimmy Page ripping off other people's ideas and not crediting them?
    Surely not!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sydzappa View Post
    Jimmy Page ripping off other people's ideas and not crediting them?
    Surely not!
    Well, yes, Page was well known for "borrowing" some riffs and even lyrics from earlier artists, namely Willie Dixon and Robert Johnson, to name but two.
    However, let us be fair by saying that all rock musicians either slightly modified the old bluesmen and other early American musicians, or outright copied them.
    Yes, even Jimi Hendrix did that, and he did it so well.

Thanks

Don't get me wrong I'm a Zep fan,have all the albums on vinyl,CD and even cassette in some cases,and have many Zep boots,etc,etc, but hearing NOT earlier artists but contempory artists like Jeff Beck's Truth album and worse Spirit -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTFdlbup24
    burst my fan bubble a bit.

Thanks

Oh yeah, but I don't look at the rock stars borrowing, modifying, or otherwise copying the blues grates as necessarily bad, either for the fans, or for those long departed bluesmen.
    I am quite sure Son House, Robert Johnson (yes, I think he made it, too), Charlie Patton, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Willie Brown, and hundreds of other bluesmen are up there, looking down, and approving that their music lives still.
    At least, I HAVE to hope so.

Thanks

I must confess that the only song that I wrote that was covered by another band was inspired by Since I've Been Loving You.Not a rip off you understand, more a pastiche/tribute in the syle of Neil Iness' Rutles/Beatles.
    I was in the audience at one of their gigs,it was an unexpected surprise and I was flattered.(They got the words wrong though!)