Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted Shuttleworth and the "Crazy Diamond" Movie

supervehicle Guest

Default Ted Shuttleworth and the "Crazy Diamond" Movie

In 1991, a fellow by the name of Ted Shuttleworth began working on a script called Crazy Diamond, based on the life of Pink Floyd founder and former member, Syd Barrett. Shuttleworth was initially concerned that his script may never be picked up, especially considering Barrett's cult figure status. Sure enough, however, Scott Free (Ridley and Tony Scott's company) and Peter Medak (director of The Ruling Class and Let Him Have It) found their way into the project, and everything was coming along rather well. Iíll let Shuttleworth sum up the rest:
    At the same time, Medak insisted that I send the script to his old pal, Roger Waters, whom he was sure would love the script and help us with the production. Peter and Roger had been friends since they met backstage at a Floyd show in, I think, 1972. The band had seen Ruling Class and actually sent a car to bring Peter to the show so they could meet him. Peter and Roger later worked on sketched out ideas for a Dark Side of the Moon film, which Peter still has and showed me one day, and they always stayed in touch. (As it was, Peter shot all that flying hospital bed footage shown in the original Dark Side of the Moon shows. Good bit of trivia there.)

Anyway, I should never have allowed it, but Roger did get the script and he called Peter from the ****ing Billiard Room or wherever a week or so later and he was pretty adamant about his objections to the project. He said that my script glorified Syd, which is fair, but said that Syd was basically "useless from the start" and "never did much of anything in terms of the band". Roger further said that everything he has to say about the subject of Syd "is in my film of The Wall" and then began issuing threats, saying that he would sue me, sue the producers, and told Peter Medak that if he continued to work on the project that their friendship would be at an end and Roger would never speak to him again.

And so this is where things really started to fall apart. I had lost my financing with Intermedia, the Scotts cooled off as a result of that, and Medak got scared as well. He still really wanted to make the film. I could see him weighing the chance to make a great picture against his valued friendship with Rog, but important momentum was lost and things failed to rekindle. Crazy Diamond began to sink.
    And as you may've guessed, Crazy Diamond was indefinitely shelved.

You can read Shuttleworth's interview with Rick Karhu of Spare Bricks, a Pink Floyd webzine, here.

I wrote to Mr. Shuttleworth recently, and he was kind enough to write back:
    I remember that interview. Didn't know it was still online anywhere. In the time since I have abandoned the idea of doing a fictionalized version of Syd's story, with someone else's music, etc. Not really interesting to me. So the Crazy Diamond script is back, and has been occasionally updated and revised over the years. Presently, the script is with a guy who has been placed in charge of the Syd Barrett estate. He is also D. Gilmour's manager, and ostensibly PFloyd's manager as well. I have no idea if he's ever read it. I imagine he hasn't. But if a movie about Syd is ever going to seriously happen, he is the man who is going to give the first OK. Maybe one of these days he'll call me back.

I'm sure someday someone will make a movie about Syd, but we'll all have to wait until the stars align. I hope that happens soon.

Ted -

Thanks

Imagine waking up to find yourself being discussed on the Y ....

http://www.writethemovieyoulove.com
    Last edited by spammythepig; 2011-03-13 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks

I wonder if this fellow Peter has any new leads about any filming of the Dark Side Of the Moon tour. It is a complete travesty that no professional footage of this tour (or WYWH or Animals for that matter) exists.

Dark Side Of the Moon is one of the most famous musical pieces in the history of life itself and no professional live footage of it's tour exists? Hard to believe that something is not out there somewhere.

Thanks

Default Waters won't even release the one show that does exist

Quote Originally Posted by Zarf View Post
    I wonder if this fellow Peter has any new leads about any filming of the Dark Side Of the Moon tour. It is a complete travesty that no professional footage of this tour (or WYWH or Animals for that matter) exists.

Dark Side Of the Moon is one of the most famous musical pieces in the history of life itself and no professional live footage of it's tour exists? Hard to believe that something is not out there somewhere.
    well, there isn't any, unless a lone wolf "snuck" a film crew into a show and did it on the quiet...it's a travesty that no filming was ever commissioned by PF to capture these legendary shows...but life is full of inexplicable ****-ups...what's worse is that 5 nights of pro-shot Wall shows were filmed and a new cut exists with a proper 16 track remix by James Guthrie, and Roger ****ing Waters won't release it (and he still lies to huge audiences by saying that "some" footage ACTUALLY exists from those shows) ...but he'll go out and mime to a Wall show with a cover band...60 more nights of fake Wall shows, no matter how visually stunning, don't really add up to one with the 4 Floyds up there...Waters must think that his fans are really stupid, you'd think with how cyber-savvy he has become that he'd be aware that most people have seen the boots of the orig shows...but he'd still rather keep the pristine one for himself...**** Roger Waters for sitting on that concert footage...does anyone think that they rolled out the multi-tracks just to record the audio (Is There Anybody Out There ? '80/'81)?...maybe he'll include "ABITW2" on his Blu-Ray of the latest lip-sync tour...

Thanks

Default why are acidheads still obsessed with Syd ?

Quote Originally Posted by supervehicle View Post
    In 1991, a fellow by the name of Ted Shuttleworth began working on a script called Crazy Diamond, based on the life of Pink Floyd founder and former member, Syd Barrett. Shuttleworth was initially concerned that his script may never be picked up, especially considering Barrett's cult figure status. Sure enough, however, Scott Free (Ridley and Tony Scott's company) and Peter Medak (director of The Ruling Class and Let Him Have It) found their way into the project, and everything was coming along rather well. Iíll let Shuttleworth sum up the rest:

And as you may've guessed, Crazy Diamond was indefinitely shelved.

You can read Shuttleworth's interview with Rick Karhu of Spare Bricks, a Pink Floyd webzine, here.

I wrote to Mr. Shuttleworth recently, and he was kind enough to write back:
    I can't see making a film just about Syd, the guy has had every bit of his privacy un-earthed to display to the world...I don't think that Syd wanted his teenage love notes to his girlfriends and his postcards, birthday cards, fart joke books etc...packaged and put on display...personally, I think "Piper..." speaks for Syd, his private noodlings are just that, and its a horrible thing to keep plundering all of his earthly belongings to make more $$ on...Syd was a tragedy, in itself it wouldn't be a good experience for movie-goers, all of the most gruesome details about Syd are in The Wall, and no amount of recreating those events will ever be as masterfully executed on screen. The only point to doing a Floyd film is to recreate the actual concert stages that were used during the 70's, at least we'd see a reasonable facsimile of those shows since they were to lazy to film them...they could use actual boots for the live soundtrack and yes, it would have to be in 3-D !!

Thanks

a movie could be made about Syd and be good but the chances are the that it would be conventional, crappy, and made by some third-rate hack.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artknarf View Post
    a movie could be made about Syd and be good but the chances are the that it would be conventional, crappy, and made by some third-rate hack.
    I had some great people involved and my script is pretty good. But Peter Jenner told me years ago that I'd written a script about "some of the most litigious people on the planet" and said that I'd probably have to wait until Dave and Roger died before the movie could go forward.

Someone will make one eventually. And yeah, it will probably suck.

Thanks

Minehead raises some good points.

A good case about why the latest Syd project is something to make one feel a little uneasy since it's true... he lived his life in private, wished to keep it that way yet now it's all being exposed in tiny detail. Whilst there is and always will be much interest in Syd which will ensure such projects happen I do question if it's going a little too far and is being a little disrespectful to Syd's memory and wishes.

A movie based on Syd is inevitable because there is a tragic tale at the heart of it which would be the basis of a good drama movie. Roger will make sure that never gets made whilst he's still alive because of course he'll be portrayed as a major villain in the tale and he's desperate to avoid being seen in a negative light. David wouldn't have much to worry about to be honest but I think he'd nix such a project anyway as a step too far... plus it would destroy his new "friendship" with Roger so he'd know it's best avoided.

As for the PF Wall concert movie, that's a long running farce. RW won't release that until another decade or so. You can be certain of that. He refuses to leave his "baby" alone hence his recent tour which of course will end up giving the world yet ANOTHER damn version of the thing (CD, DVD etc) which he'll happily rake in whatever he can make... so then in a few years time he'll then kick the corpse once again with the version all PF fans actually want to make sure his pension will be topped up. He's milking it now on the road since of course he doesn't have to pay the rest of PF so can make the most cash out of it. It's "creative marketing" at it's most cynical and worse. No way is he gonna release the PF concert film to compete against HIS modern day version of it. He's gotta milk it dry first for maximum profit. I also wouldn't put it past him to try and get a remake made of the Bob Geldof movie first.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minehead View Post
    well, there isn't any, unless a lone wolf "snuck" a film crew into a show and did it on the quiet...it's a travesty that no filming was ever commissioned by PF to capture these legendary shows...but life is full of inexplicable ****-ups...what's worse is that 5 nights of pro-shot Wall shows were filmed and a new cut exists with a proper 16 track remix by James Guthrie, and Roger ****ing Waters won't release it (and he still lies to huge audiences by saying that "some" footage ACTUALLY exists from those shows) ...but he'll go out and mime to a Wall show with a cover band...60 more nights of fake Wall shows, no matter how visually stunning, don't really add up to one with the 4 Floyds up there...Waters must think that his fans are really stupid, you'd think with how cyber-savvy he has become that he'd be aware that most people have seen the boots of the orig shows...but he'd still rather keep the pristine one for himself...**** Roger Waters for sitting on that concert footage...does anyone think that they rolled out the multi-tracks just to record the audio (Is There Anybody Out There ? '80/'81)?...maybe he'll include "ABITW2" on his Blu-Ray of the latest lip-sync tour...
    I like ya, buddy, but David ****ing Gilmour covered Roger's DSOTM on the Division bell tour, made millions from it, (not forgetting it was he who refused to re-form the band before Live 8, and even on that point, he had to be coaxed like a child from a corner to perform it) and was he one of the band who refused a film crew into the original Floyd DSOTM tour back in the early 70's???

Roger brought The Wall back to life for those who did not witness it first time around. They played 5 cities worldwide, with Dublin the nearest capital city of a foreign country nearest to them. They snubbed Ireland (Wonder who's idea THAT was) David ****ing Gilmour refused to play Ireland both with Floyd part 2 and Solo. After may 23/24 this year, Roger would have visited no more than 5 times. Pointing the finger at any member seems to form a fierce debate on any Floyd website/hub.

Thanks for the thread, supervehicle. Very interesting link too. Whoever makes a movie about Roger Keith will be either Applauded or criticized. But look at the Sid and Nancy Movie. A piece of Crap. Good acting but shit script and historical indifferences. Control, the movie about Ian Curtis is (in my opinion) is the best biopic about a star to date. AND it was filmed in black and white. So let us all hope that if a movie is to be made about Roger Keith, it will be made with remembrance and thought about his early and latter life, true to the fact, and historically correct :o

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radiowaves View Post

Thanks for the thread, supervehicle. Very interesting link too. Whoever makes a movie about Roger Keith will be either Applauded or criticized. But look at the Sid and Nancy Movie. A piece of Crap. Good acting but shit script and historical indifferences. Control, the movie about Ian Curtis is (in my opinion) is the best biopic about a star to date. AND it was filmed in black and white. So let us all hope that if a movie is to be made about Roger Keith, it will be made with remembrance and thought about his early and latter life, true to the fact, and historically correct :o
    Can't say I agree about Sid & Nancy. Great film, very funny. It has a point of view about Sid and there will always be people who say it's bulls*it. Control is very good. It was always my idea that the best way to do the music is to cast actors with musical ability and perform everything live. Re-record all Syd's music. No lip-synching!! The music is great in Control.

And I'm sure whoever makes a Syd Barrett movie will BOTH applauded and criticized. PF, if you haven't noticed, have got a pretty opinionated fan base. Almost as bad as Zeppelin's! It would be a practical impossibility to please them all.

http://www.writethemovieyoulove.com
    Last edited by spammythepig; 2011-03-14 at 04:29 PM.