Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 327280818283 LastLast

Thread: List of best known sources

Thanks
    Thanked 32,486 Times in 403 Posts

b_squared - something's gone wrong with page 2 today. You have deleted the second half of 1977 and replaced it with a double of the first half. Hope it is easily fixed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    b_squared - something's gone wrong with page 2 today. You have deleted the second half of 1977 and replaced it with a double of the first half. Hope it is easily fixed!
    Ah, thanks for the heads up. Was uploading a bunch of updates and ended up making this silly mistake. I've fixed it, no panic. I've started keeping the originals as text files in my HD, not just for back-up, but also for ease of editing. I used to edit them directly in the web browser and that was a pain. I'm in a slow process of writing some scripts around it all to make it easier.
    Lists of best known sources for Floyd live recordings: 1967-1985
    Check them before uploading a show
    Please help me keep these accurate and up-to-date

Thanks

A big thanks to you b_squared for all your work in keeping this best known sources list updated btw !! I reference this list quite often.
    Last edited by stratcat58; 2020-05-23 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks

Yes, huge thanks to b_squared for maintaining this list! Glad to see my latest updates added -- that's always a nice feeling -- and glad you had a backup, though I had Google cache ready just in case.

A few quick cleanup notes:

- The 1980-02-28 date is listed twice -- the second entry can be removed (it's just an extra link to Glassberg). That'll save some space if the character limit per post becomes an issue, with all these Wall recorders popping up!

- Something wonky happened to one of the links in the Seattle 1975 entry -- it should read as follows:

- Finally, the festival name for 1970-09-12 is corrupt, at least on my Mac -- maybe it's a Windows-specific character thing -- in any event, it should be "Fête de L'Humanité".

There are also some recent uploads that deserve to replace the current entries, the most urgent of which is the night-and-day upgrade for Recorder 2 of Earl's Court 1973-05-19:

Looking at these lists, it's amazing how much we've upgraded a lot of tapes -- so many of these now have really respectable sources in much better quality than we ever enjoyed in the 1990s and 2000s. It also becomes clear which dates could really use a better source with better lineage -- like 1980-02-10, for which we only have a SHN source with unknown lineage, speed issues, and digital glitches.
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-05-23 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 Times in 48 Posts

Thanks a lot to everyone for keeping this up to date.

A few things from 1967-1968:

1) 1967-09-25 Playhouse Theatre, London (BBC): HRV or Let There Beeb More Light - there are no links for those entries
    2) 1967-12-20 Maida Vale Studios, London (BBC) this one has no entries
    3) We should add entries for 1967-01-20 or 22 rehearsals at Mike Leonard's House, 1967-01-20 or 27 IO & MM from Underground Special, and 1967-02-24 Die Jungle Nachtwandler thing. Also, 1967-12-17 performance for Tomorrow's World TV show.
    4) 1968-12-02 Maida Vale Studios, London 1987 Westwood One vinyl radio show "60's At The Beeb" has the best version (so far) of Embryo, but fades out 5 or 6 seconds early - there is no link for this entry, not sure if it was ever torrented here. Also, according to my list, the version from BBC Archives Rev. A should be better but to be honest I haven't listened to this show in ages and less than less would remember if I ever compared both sources.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

A few more drop-ins:

Last edited by goldenband; 2020-05-24 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,294 Times in 134 Posts

I really have to apologize for not contributing more to this thread. You guys do outstanding work helping the vets and noobs navigate the site for the best stuff. My excuse is I can't do it nearly as well as goldenband lol
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 42 Posts

Amazing post Goldenband. Thank you. I find these posts extremely useful. I tend to judge sources by how they sound, and find it difficult to find the time to critically appraise the content differences. As we know, 'best sources' tend to come in three flavours - Most Complete, Best Sounding 'Unprocessed' and Best Sounding 'Processed'. Working out which is the most complete is often quite a challenge unless you have a lot of time, or a method...

Thanks

Perfect! Many thanks to b_squared for flexing some muscle and updating the thread, especially with the increased activity around here lately.

There are still some edits that need to be added, including a few from me two pages back as well as goldenband's recent posts. I have a few more cooking as well, some of which are for earlier dates that need some more love, and a few are to highlight uncirculating dates and alternate recorders. Even if there's a chance some of these tapes (such as, for the show I'm listening to right now, 1971-11-20 Rec. 3) might never see the light of day, I think it's good to make a note of absolutely everything we know exists, or what existed at some point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blatch View Post
    Even if there's a chance some of these tapes (such as, for the show I'm listening to right now, 1971-11-20 Rec. 3) might never see the light of day, I think it's good to make a note of absolutely everything we know exists, or what existed at some point.
    It's quite surreal that you mention this today, as I've literally just been researching a possible Rec. 4 for this show -- also lost, sadly -- which might just be Rec. 3 from the same John H. tape (not sure yet).

BTW, thank you, Beechwoods! Glad to do what I can to clarify things for all of us, me included. It makes it so much easier to make sense of it all, something I've been trying to do since I began trundling around on two legs (well, before that, even).