Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: List of best known sources

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatGoD67 View Post
    b_squared, think you've made a slight error...the recorder 2 link for the Boston '77 show takes me to the Boston '75 show. Anyone know the best torrent for the Lampinski source for the Boston '77 show?
    Thanks for letting me know. I've fixed the links for both 75 and 77.
    Lists of best known sources for Floyd live recordings: 1967-1985
    Check them before uploading a show
    Please help me keep these accurate and up-to-date

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan smithee View Post
    1975-04-20 Activity Center, Arizona State University, Tempe, USA

The copy I have is unlistenable....Is there really a best source?
    Best available does not imply it's any good!

Thanks

Thanks for your continued work on this! A couple of small suggestions:

Quote Originally Posted by b_squared View Post
    1973-05-18 Earls Court Exhibition Hall, London, England
    I think lordsnooty's recent and much-appreciated upload of Rec. 1 probably takes the top spot. The upgrade over the source used for patches in "The White Bootleg" is subtle, but it's still there.

1973-11-04: Rainbow Theatre, London, England
    Careful with this one, there were two shows (early and late). AFAIK we haven't yet found a better source than "Obscured at the Rainbow" for Rec. 1 of the late show.

1977-06-29 Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA: Kbrubaker Unknown Gen Cassettes / Neonknight Tape Transfer 24bit/96kHz or 16bit/44.1kHz
    This is the best source I've heard overall for the concert, but as I noted in the 16/44 thread, the sound quality of the "good" parts of Who Refused to Play the Encore? (aka Who Was Given A Seat In The Stands, IIRC) is better than the corresponding parts of Kbrubaker's tape, which is higher-gen and has flutter and speed issues.

Still, Kbrubaker's tape is waaaaay better than the "bad" parts, and it's quite difficult to find those parts of the concert in decent quality, so it's a huge asset to have it. But you ideally would want both sources, at least for now (maybe someone will edit them together?).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Thanks for your continued work on this! A couple of small suggestions:
    You're very welcome, and thanks for all the input. I try to keep up with all the new posts, and I have limited time for listening, but I still try. We are so much better off today than in the 90's, when I used to browse pf-roio.de and just dream of what things sounded like. As it turned out, a lot of them did not sound very good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 53 Posts

We are so much better off today than in the 90's, when I used to browse pf-roio.de and just dream of what things sounded like. As it turned out, a lot of them did not sound very good.

Thanks

Thanks to Google Cache, I've been able to retrieve most of the posts in this thread that were made right before the crash:

neonknight
    1967-09-13
    The Marbal tape uploaded by LP and I (16-44 and 24-96 version) improves on What Syd Wants.

neonknight
    1970-07-18 Recorder 2
    I saw that there is no lineage associated with this. It is likely to be reel > MD(0) > CDR(?) > FLAC.

goldenband
    A couple additional suggestions:

1969-04-14 Recorder 3 (Stern's sound man) - there was a recent audio-only 24/96 torrent posted of this, wasn't there? Or am I totally imagining that?

1970-04-11 New York, NY - should be "Stony Brook, NY"; the best-sounding version I've heard is the Highland boot "Trademark Moo", but it's missing a little bit of audience banter present in other tapes

1970-04-22 Port Chester, NY - such a weird case, because the big release of this show was missing the end, which was supplied later from an inferior source; there was some mysteriousness about the whole affair, IIRC

1970-06-27 - There are three recorders, I believe. One is the circulating source (not sure what the best version is), one is the audio from the Mind Your Throats DVD, and one is an uncirculating stage recording in EX quality. A snippet of the latter has been posted to the boards.

1970-09-12 - best version circulating is probably Doinker's tape, as I recall

1970-11-11 - given the recent updates about the Hannover show, I've come to suspect this is actually 1970-11-28 Saarbrucken; either way, the date is a mess, but Blokhead did a great job restoring AHM

1971-01-17 - Roundhouse show, missing date needs to be added; at the moment we only have ~6 min., but a full tape exists

1971-08-06 Hakone Aphrodite, Japan - is it confirmed that ASOS from this show is actually from 1971-08-07?

1971-09-23 Faulkner Theater, Copenhagen - wasn't this actually KB Hallen? Unfortunately a complete Rec. 2 hasn't been uploaded to the tracker, and Rec. 1 is controversial -- many people like "On Your Mark", I found it too bright/harsh and prefer a speed-corrected version of the Falkoner Teatret boot

1971-11-12 Philadelphia - my memory is that Higher Education is the best source I've heard for Rec. 1, and Philadelphia Experiment for Rec. 2, but one of those has an Echoes that's not actually from this date, and "who knows which is which" (why are Philadelphia shows always such a mess?)

1972-04-29 Philadelphia, 1973-03-24 Atlanta, 1977-03-01 Munich - might be worth noting that silent footage exists of all these, but no audio

1972-09-23 Winterland Auditorium, San Francisco, CA - only one source of this has ever emerged, right?

1972-11-15 Böblingen Rec. 3 - I'd humbly suggest my speed correction of this, though it can no doubt be improved upon with a non-32k source (EDIT: and it's also not 100% complete, of course)

1972-11-29 Poitiers - worth noting the existence of the video source; is The Devils Inside the best version?

1972-12-05 Vorst Nationaal, Brussels, Belgium - there are additional recorders/sources worth noting here, though they've been essentially obsoleted by the brilliant-sounding audience tape

1974-12-14 Colston Hall, Bristol, Somerset, England - this wonderful show is a mess to sort out, because the T source is going at the wrong speed and missing a big chunk of ACYL, and other sources that aren't missing pieces are in mono; I may address this shortly

1975-06-28 - date that needs to be added

Heh, I guess that was more than a couple. Thanks so much for all your work on this!

neonknight (referring to 1969-04-14)
    That was one of my uploads. I don't know whether people rate it as being better than another older upload sourced from DVD by Bert13. I believe it to be.

PaTGoD67
    The link for "1970-07-12 Soersfestival 3-Day Open Air Festival, Aachen Soerser Stadium, Aachen, Germany (Ulrich A.): The Theme from an Imaginary Western (R&D)" isn't working either - it sends me here

neonknight
    "1970-06-27 - There are three recorders, I believe. One is the circulating source (not sure what the best version is), one is the audio from the Mind Your Throats DVD, and one is an uncirculating stage recording in EX quality. A snippet of the latter has been posted to the boards."

It needs more of the sources to surface but I think the two latter recordings you mention are likely to be from the same recorder audio-wise, and were recorded by Jack Moore.

Lots of bogus lineages go round about the full length recording that everybody has. Rolf explained the story on the forum. Any talk of master clones is nonsense. If Rolf shared the copy he obtained on DAT, which is uncertain, my impression is that the best available could be Reel>reel>DAT clone. I have a 48kHz DAT that was described as "off master", which could be an example of this.

neonknight (regarding 1970-11-11 which is probably 1970-11-28)
    I think we can be confident that Rolf was correct when he suggested the date was Saarbrucken. This is a poignant example of how is passing will have an enormous impact on future research. He had such a wonderful knack for knowing the story behind recordings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 53 Posts

Excellent work, goldenband! As another addition, Beechwoods's recent torrents of Marbal's Frankfurt tapes should definitely be added to ze list.

Thanks

I was terrified all of this would have been lost in the crash. I'll go over these additions this week as time permits, and will back up the files locally, for the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 79 Posts

Another one that got lost is Rotterdam 1970-11-07. Best sounding and most complete version is jimfisheye's remaster:

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?18587

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatGoD67 View Post
    Excellent work, goldenband! As another addition, Beechwoods's recent torrents of Marbal's Frankfurt tapes should definitely be added to ze list.
    Thank you PatGoD67, much appreciated.