Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: List of best known sources

Thanks
    Thanked 8,088 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    Another one that got lost is Rotterdam 1970-11-07. Best sounding and most complete version is jimfisheye's remaster:

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?18587
    This post got bumped to the third page, don't think you've seen it. Tried to PM you but no luck.

Thanks

I think I've finally caught up with you guys... you're definitely keeping me busy!
    Lists of best known sources for Floyd live recordings: 1967-1985
    Check them before uploading a show
    Please help me keep these accurate and up-to-date

Thanks
    Thanked 36,989 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b_squared View Post
    I think I've finally caught up with you guys... you're definitely keeping me busy!
    Thanks for all the work you do on this b_squared. I always feel inspired when I read through the pages to try and fill in more of the gaps recording / fact-wise. One you could add that jumped out to me from the top of the thread this evening is that John Baxter was the taper of 1969-06-22.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Thanks for all the work you do on this b_squared. I always feel inspired when I read through the pages to try and fill in more of the gaps recording / fact-wise. One you could add that jumped out to me from the top of the thread this evening is that John Baxter was the taper of 1969-06-22.
    Also noted. As far as thanking me, I have nothing on you guys, finding these tapes, doing the transfers and releasing them to the community.

Thanks

Just noticed that the third link for 1977-06-29 Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA links to the wrong torrent.

Thanks for the hard work!

Thanks

Default 1970-07-12

b_squared - I have been checking out various copies of this date this evening and think you should consider revising the entry as A Heavenly Ride by Wojtek is currently probably the best copy (at least before a major EQ job). If you are not sure perhaps it could be listed as an alternative.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 45 Posts

I think this is one where there's a vote for processed versus unprocessed. Wojtek's transfer is the best as a straight transfer, but R&D's release is very nicely done, and to my ears the best listen. R&D did some very good remasters in his time (not sure where he is now, or if he's still active).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I think this is one where there's a vote for processed versus unprocessed. Wojtek's transfer is the best as a straight transfer, but R&D's release is very nicely done, and to my ears the best listen. R&D did some very good remasters in his time (not sure where he is now, or if he's still active).
    The relative speed of the various versions can also be confusing. DAT versions seem invariably to run slow, for example.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 45 Posts

It comes down to the quality of the tape decks at the analogue stage. The problem with DAT is that it came in at a time when tape decks had peaked. Even Nakamichi were trading on their name by the early-mid 90's, decks were being sold on features not basic transport quality. Dolby S, HX-Pro, auto-calibration all mean very little when you just want to squeeze the last bit of fidelity from a non-dolby trade cassette from 15-20 years ago. People do not realise how necessary it is to keep your deck serviced either.

* Sermon Over * !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    b_squared - I have been checking out various copies of this date this evening and think you should consider revising the entry as A Heavenly Ride by Wojtek is currently probably the best copy (at least before a major EQ job). If you are not sure perhaps it could be listed as an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Do we know for certain that Wojek's release is unprocessed? And what about the DAT transfer? Is it actually inferior, or does it sound like it because it runs slow?