Thanks
    Thanked 37,105 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    Is that Delia at the reels?
    Yes, a nicely posed shot I thought

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Yes, a nicely posed shot I thought
    Indeed. And it's a different shot to the one most commonly posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    Indeed. And it's a different shot to the one most commonly posted.
    You guys are making me want to watch some early Doctor Who again. John Pertwee and Roger Delgado episodes I am thinking. Need some mischief. Haha

Thanks

Interesting discovery today: on older copies of the 8mm footage from Vienna 1977-02-01, like ratpie's here, the soundtrack isn't one of the two audience recordings, nor the band-sanctioned open-air recording, but is an otherwise-unknown Rec. 4.

Listen to the part at the end of SOYCD 6-9 when Rick Wright quotes The Gnome and Gilmour plays a bit of Interstellar Overdrive. On Recorder 1, that happens at 16:15; on Recorder 2, it happens at 15:05; on the band-sanctioned recording, it happens...somewhere, I didn't write down the exact spot.

But on the 8mm footage with the "original" audio, when you get to that spot (around 13.5 minutes into the footage), you can hear someone very close to the taper who bellows out something like "Aahoohaa-la!" (It might be some Austrian expression, I don't know.)

None of the other sources have that "Aahoohaa-la!" cry, which is very distinctive. So I think the audio attached to older copies of the 8mm footage (not the overdubbed ones on DVD!) is unique. The question in my mind: is it an uncirculated fourth recorder that might be complete, or camera audio where what we hear is all there ever was? I don't know enough about how 8mm cameras worked to say.

This raises the question: has someone vetted older transfers of 1972-09-22 and 1977-05-07 to evaluate whether the associated audio is from a circulating, known recorder? Has 1977-05-07 always been paired with audio from 1977-05-06? My understanding is that Doinker confirmed that the 8mm footage of 1975-04-27 was taped in conjunction with what we call Recorder 2.

Speaking of 8mm footage, I'm sorry to report that George Manney, who filmed at the Electric Factory in 1970, apparently died some time back, as per his Facebook page which is now a memorial.

I know nothing about him beyond his role as some kind of archivist under the title Philly Pop Music, but it's saddening to realize that we've lost yet another person who was there. I think we'd all love to be on the timeline where he comes to Y!, shares his work, and is lavishly appreciated, with many beers bought and stories told; sad to think that can't happen now.

EDIT: OK, I checked the copy of 1972-09-22 found here, and it uses Recorder 5.
    Last edited by goldenband; 2022-01-28 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks

Thanks Goldenband. To go a bit offtopic, but staying in the same town (where I live); some Y-member (Sportpalast?) mentioned years ago an existing second recorder for 13.10.1973.

Thanks

Regards the 8mm of Electric Factory; how long is the supposed original reels to be? He could really helped with that confusing date.

However, R.I.P. George Manney. Thanks for the contribution for extanding our Pink Floyd universe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Interesting discovery today: on older copies of the 8mm footage from Vienna 1977-02-01, like ratpie's here, the soundtrack isn't one of the two audience recordings, nor the band-sanctioned open-air recording, but is an otherwise-unknown Rec. 4.

Listen to the part at the end of SOYCD 6-9 when Rick Wright quotes The Gnome and Gilmour plays a bit of Interstellar Overdrive. On Recorder 1, that happens at 16:15; on Recorder 2, it happens at 15:05; on the band-sanctioned recording, it happens...somewhere, I didn't write down the exact spot.

But on the 8mm footage with the "original" audio, when you get to that spot (around 13.5 minutes into the footage), you can hear someone very close to the taper who bellows out something like "Aahoohaa-la!" (It might be some Austrian expression, I don't know.)

None of the other sources have that "Aahoohaa-la!" cry, which is very distinctive. So I think the audio attached to older copies of the 8mm footage (not the overdubbed ones on DVD!) is unique. The question in my mind: is it an uncirculated fourth recorder that might be complete, or camera audio where what we hear is all there ever was? I don't know enough about how 8mm cameras worked to say.

This raises the question: has someone vetted older transfers of 1972-09-22 and 1977-05-07 to evaluate whether the associated audio is from a circulating, known recorder? Has 1977-05-07 always been paired with audio from 1977-05-06? My understanding is that Doinker confirmed that the 8mm footage of 1975-04-27 was taped in conjunction with what we call Recorder 2.

Speaking of 8mm footage, I'm sorry to report that George Manney, who filmed at the Electric Factory in 1970, apparently died some time back, as per his Facebook page which is now a memorial.

I know nothing about him beyond his role as some kind of archivist under the title Philly Pop Music, but it's saddening to realize that we've lost yet another person who was there. I think we'd all love to be on the timeline where he comes to Y!, shares his work, and is lavishly appreciated, with many beers bought and stories told; sad to think that can't happen now.

EDIT: OK, I checked the copy of 1972-09-22 found here, and it uses Recorder 5.
    Vienna 77 well known to be camera audio, that's what it always was.
    Sitting in my english Garden, waiting for the Sun

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anredeon View Post
    Thanks Goldenband. To go a bit offtopic, but staying in the same town (where I live); some Y-member (Sportpalast?) mentioned years ago an existing second recorder for 13.10.1973.
    Yes, I remember that too! Here's hoping it shows up someday.

Quote Originally Posted by anredeon View Post
    Regards the 8mm of Electric Factory; how long is the supposed original reels to be?
    I don't think it was ever made clear, sadly: is the YouTube footage all there was, or was it a sample from a longer recording? Not sure. It got overlooked for its poor quality, but one never knows what a rescan could have brought out.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyTagliaferro View Post
    Vienna 77 well known to be camera audio, that's what it always was.
    Thanks, Roy -- that's sort of what I figured. As I said, I don't know enough about the history of the 8mm and Super 8 formats to know when camera sound became an option for consumer-level gear that (apparently) only films in short segments.

So, on a typical vintage VHS: 1977-02-01 is a unique camera audio source, which deserves to be preserved. 1972-09-22 is synched to Rec. 5, and a rather bright if hissy copy at that. 1975-04-27 is synched to Rec. 2, nothing special there (in terms of audio from video sources). 1977-03-01 Munich has no circulating audio source, nor does 1972-04-29 Philadelphia (the mystery of 1971-11-12 R1 aside, as well as the possibility that the footage is actually 1973-03-15).

That leaves 1977-05-07. Has that always gone around synched with 1977-05-06 (replaced by 1977-05-09, I think, in the case of the HRV 8mm DVD)? Interesting that it's from the 7th but the filmers didn't or couldn't use sound from that date. I've always wondered if the three California dates were filmed by the same crew.
    Last edited by goldenband; 2022-01-28 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Thanks, Roy -- that's sort of what I figured. As I said, I don't know enough about the history of the 8mm and Super 8 formats to know when camera sound became an option for consumer-level gear that (apparently) only films in short segments.
    I happen to have an old 8mm player and a portable 8mm camera which used tiny reels... all very old consumer gear, like at least from the early 60's if not older.

I also have a couple Super 8 players, still consumer models from at least early 70s.

And both of the Super 8 players here have also audio while the 8mm player and camera doesn't.

So, my guess is that, at least for consumer gear, Super 8 finally got the audio.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,159 Times in 1,491 Posts

This thread will be closed, but never deleted.

Comments and list will continue here

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video