Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: characters of a similar vein (Floyd catalog 1968-83?)

Thanks

Interesting points Barney. Damnit... you're making me think!

Do you really think he does not believe his own writing though? Maybe not... I mean the last time he wrote something (that was released) was 1992. I know my feelings and positions change after years of new experiences. Is it wrong if Roger does feel differently about things he wrote when he was 28?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,243 Times in 91 Posts

Grotesque..I've been meaning to ask you...From what concert did you get this quote -

'Stop the tape deck Andy. Thank you. Can you hear me? Normally we'd go straight on at that point but I though i'd just stop to have a word with this **** over here with his firework. And tell him that there are 15,000 of us in here who think he's a complete prick! -and to ask you if you see anyone else with fireworks to point them out to the ushers so they can be thrown out. And on that happy note, we'll do 'Have A Cigar

I've been checking my archives and can't find it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darryll View Post
    Dude, here's what you're not understanding. Roger like you said is naked now. Naked and HAPPY.
    Roger is that you? If not how can you possibly know how Roger feels?

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    .... Is it wrong if Roger does feel differently about things he wrote when he was 28?
    Not at all wrong, people change. From my point of view my world view hasn't changed at all really. But others definitely do. I last saw John Lydon peddling dodgy dairy products in a English Gentleman style outfit.

I just don't think Roger has a particular view at all other than grief for his loss (but I've always found the permise for The Wall very dodgy, like I think he only spat at anyone in his imagination as there never has been any proof) and making a wad. Syd got in the way as did Rick.

Problem is this thread was about his writing, not handbags at dawn with horseshit and Roger love thrown in for good measure. He definitely has a skill there. I mean its a bit 6th form angstish but the words run well and the message comes through loud and clear but I can't see any integrity which is why I think it should only be analysed in the same way one might analyse a Bjork and Benny song.

Quote Originally Posted by darryll View Post
    ....grubbing ways you would not have shown in your download list such a wide range of appreciation of their(his) catalogue.
    If you're gonna stalk then do it properly please. To my knowledge I possess no solo Waters shows except Tapeheads vid because I thought the Comfortably Numb wall explosion was cool and the filming was supreme in its quality and dedication from Tapehead. That bit is cool but the rest is well..... a handbag full of horsehit (AHFOHS).... perhaps? If I did download any others it was a sad mistake and they've been long since deleted... but you can't beat Pink Floyd.

Thanks

I Kinda agree with Barney, Roger is no longer "The Angry Young Man"
    But He still makes Lots of Money from pretending He is.
    Having said that, Wouldn`t You?

The cool dusty air of the city boardroom.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew View Post
    Roger is that you? If not how can you possibly know how Roger feels?

Not at all wrong, people change. From my point of view my world view hasn't changed at all really. But others definitely do. I last saw John Lydon peddling dodgy dairy products in a English Gentleman style outfit.

I just don't think Roger has a particular view at all other than grief for his loss (but I've always found the permise for The Wall very dodgy, like I think he only spat at anyone in his imagination as there never has been any proof) and making a wad. Syd got in the way as did Rick.

Problem is this thread was about his writing, not handbags at dawn with horseshit and Roger love thrown in for good measure. He definitely has a skill there. I mean its a bit 6th form angstish but the words run well and the message comes through loud and clear but I can't see any integrity which is why I think it should only be analysed in the same way one might analyse a Bjork and Benny song.

If you're gonna stalk then do it properly please. To my knowledge I possess no solo Waters shows except Tapeheads vid because I thought the Comfortably Numb wall explosion was cool and the filming was supreme in its quality and dedication from Tapehead. That bit is cool but the rest is well..... a handbag full of horsehit (AHFOHS).... perhaps? If I did download any others it was a sad mistake and they've been long since deleted... but you can't beat Pink Floyd.
    get back under ye' bridge lad

Thanks
    Thanked 2,243 Times in 91 Posts

Roger Waters....One of the greatest lyricists in rock n roll....angry or happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManFree View Post
    I Kinda agree with Barney, Roger is no longer "The Angry Young Man"
    But He still makes Lots of Money from pretending He is.
    Having said that, Wouldn`t You?
    I think thats what he's selling at the moment and no I wouldn't which is incredibly hard to believe in these dark and cutthroat years. Theres only so much a sane human being can need. What would I do? Recline on a chaise longue and be fed grapes by large breasted long legged fat arsed concubines all day? I'd probably be able to stick it for a few weeks (months maybe ) and then I'd probably turn into Andrew Lloyd Waters.

Regardless of what he's saying I see and hear an angry old geezer honed in the skill of hiding it. Maybe he's gone deaf dumb and blind and just keeps on pretending he's playing tiny intimate venues these days.... folderol?
    Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; 07-02-2012 at 12:34 AM.

The cool dusty air of the city boardroom.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew View Post
    I think thats what he's selling at the moment and no I wouldn't which is incredibly hard to believe in these dark and cutthroat years. Theres only so much a sane human being can need. What would I do? Recline on a chaise longue and be fed grapes by large breasted long legged fat arsed concubines all day? I'd probably be able to stick it for a few weeks (months maybe ) and then I'd probably turn into Andrew Lloyd Waters.

Regardless of what he's saying I see and hear an angry old geezer honed in the skill of hiding it. Maybe he's gone deaf dumb and blind and just keeps on pretending he's playing tiny intimate venues these days.... folderol?
    honestly mate what kind of drugs have you done because literally everything i hear you say is the kind of stuff i expect to hear out of a stoned two-year-old who's watched The Da Vinci Code too many times.

Thanks

sooo anyway,

"One of The Few" seems to be from the perspective of the teacher in "The Wall".

at home in wolverhampton u.k or in a tent up a mountain or sumsuch.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    sooo anyway,

"One of The Few" seems to be from the perspective of the teacher in "The Wall".
    Sticks a chance as,as we know, some of the Final Cut material was salvaged from the Wall sessions,after Bob Ezrin streamlined the plotline(s.)( A wise move,I think,as the story is about Pink's gradual self imposed isolation and including The Teacher's back story would have resulted in too much plot,which is what marred Radio Kaos,in my humble.)In fact,Roger has said somewhere that a couple of the songs are from the Teacher's perspective.
    If not actual characters,there are certainly themes in Roger's lyrics:
    War:Corporal Clegg,Free Four,Us And Them,The Wall,Final Cut...
    Music Biz:Cymbaline,Free Four,parts of Dark Side,Wish You Were Here,The Wall...
    Dreams:Julia Dream,Cymbaline,Pros and Cons....
    Pretty obvious why the first two,but I thought it very interesting to hear in a recent interview that Roger used to dream that he had killed his father.
    Roger obviously had troubles,and this came out in his writing,there's a fair chance it affected his dreams.
    Since the split with the rest of Floyd,he has undergone therapy,dealt with his demons,and has had the balls to admit his faults,make amends and build bridges.
    If he now goes out on tour,playing the music that people want to see him play,and make a stash, good for him....I might not be lucky enough to be a professional musician,but I think I get paid a fair wage for the job I do,I guess he does too.