Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: characters of a similar vein (Floyd catalog 1968-83?)

Thanks
    Contribute Click the image below to donate to Yeeshkul.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew View Post

Lyrically what set Floyd apart was Roger's focus on the human condition. I was there, a gullible easily persuaded teenager fool enough to believe the writer believed what he was preaching. I had no idea then it was simply a way to make money. With 40 years behind me the trick is transparent. Roger is completely naked.... but there will always be those for him to feed on.

Don't get me wrong I love Pink Floyd but I now recognise a hard nosed businessman when I hear one. ...
    Dude, here's what you're not understanding. Roger like you said is naked now. Naked and HAPPY. Back in the day, he acknowledges as well, he was very very angry. Great lyrics came from his fully clothed angry dissatisfied self. Now that he's shed his clothes and anger he's no longer who you want him to be. Now like a lot of happy people he just wants to benefit from his good fortune.

Apparently, because you're still wearing too many layers and angry you're pissed that Rog evolved and isn't still stuck in the rut like you.

Take off your clothes and chill.

P.S. I can only assume you're kidding when you claim his lyrics mean nothing but a money grab. No one can write a masterpiece like the wall if they weren't trying to express deep inner angst.

P.P.S. You're also disingenuous, just as you accuse Roger of, in your disgust and disillusionment with what the songs used to mean to you. I would think if they are ruined by your new found eureka moment of Roger's money grubbing ways you would not have shown in your download list such a wide range of appreciation of their(his) catalogue.
    Last edited by darryll; 06-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    The Endless Wait IS OVER!!!

May the Floyd Be With You!

Thanks

In regards to the original intent of this thread...

"One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces." - Eugene

Thanks

Interesting points Barney. Damnit... you're making me think!

Do you really think he does not believe his own writing though? Maybe not... I mean the last time he wrote something (that was released) was 1992. I know my feelings and positions change after years of new experiences. Is it wrong if Roger does feel differently about things he wrote when he was 28?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 95 Posts

Grotesque..I've been meaning to ask you...From what concert did you get this quote -

'Stop the tape deck Andy. Thank you. Can you hear me? Normally we'd go straight on at that point but I though i'd just stop to have a word with this **** over here with his firework. And tell him that there are 15,000 of us in here who think he's a complete prick! -and to ask you if you see anyone else with fireworks to point them out to the ushers so they can be thrown out. And on that happy note, we'll do 'Have A Cigar

I've been checking my archives and can't find it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darryll View Post
    Dude, here's what you're not understanding. Roger like you said is naked now. Naked and HAPPY.
    Roger is that you? If not how can you possibly know how Roger feels?

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    .... Is it wrong if Roger does feel differently about things he wrote when he was 28?
    Not at all wrong, people change. From my point of view my world view hasn't changed at all really. But others definitely do. I last saw John Lydon peddling dodgy dairy products in a English Gentleman style outfit.

I just don't think Roger has a particular view at all other than grief for his loss (but I've always found the permise for The Wall very dodgy, like I think he only spat at anyone in his imagination as there never has been any proof) and making a wad. Syd got in the way as did Rick.

Problem is this thread was about his writing, not handbags at dawn with horseshit and Roger love thrown in for good measure. He definitely has a skill there. I mean its a bit 6th form angstish but the words run well and the message comes through loud and clear but I can't see any integrity which is why I think it should only be analysed in the same way one might analyse a Bjork and Benny song.

....grubbing ways you would not have shown in your download list such a wide range of appreciation of their(his) catalogue.
    If you're gonna stalk then do it properly please. To my knowledge I possess no solo Waters shows except Tapeheads vid because I thought the Comfortably Numb wall explosion was cool and the filming was supreme in its quality and dedication from Tapehead. That bit is cool but the rest is well..... a handbag full of horsehit (AHFOHS).... perhaps? If I did download any others it was a sad mistake and they've been long since deleted... but you can't beat Pink Floyd.

Thanks

I Kinda agree with Barney, Roger is no longer "The Angry Young Man"
    But He still makes Lots of Money from pretending He is.
    Having said that, Wouldn`t You?

Thanks

Dude, here's what you're not understanding. Roger like you said is naked now. Naked and HAPPY.
    Roger has said numerous times over the last two years that he's happy. Most often at the end of a Wall performance.

f you're gonna stalk then do it properly please. To my knowledge I possess no solo Waters shows except Tapeheads vid because I thought the Comfortably Numb wall explosion was cool and the filming was supreme in its quality and dedication from Tapehead. That bit is cool but the rest is well..... a handbag full of horsehit (AHFOHS).... perhaps? If I did download any others it was a sad mistake and they've been long since deleted... but you can't beat Pink Floyd.
    If you're going to be a punk, then I guess there is no point to engage you in a discussion. Stalk? Do you use the term 'rape' just as loosely? You've been bitching about Roger's lyrics, as this is the point of the original post in this thread. How convenient for you to now narrow the discussion to only solo efforts.

I now agree with DrPhibes. You're just a troll. Feel free to say what you want as I ignore you.
    Last edited by darryll; 07-01-2012 at 06:53 PM.

The cool dusty air of the city boardroom.
    Thanks

Not at all wrong, people change. From my point of view my world view hasn't changed at all really. But others definitely do. I last saw John Lydon peddling dodgy dairy products in a English Gentleman style outfit.

I just don't think Roger has a particular view at all other than grief for his loss (but I've always found the permise for The Wall very dodgy, like I think he only spat at anyone in his imagination as there never has been any proof) and making a wad. Syd got in the way as did Rick.

Problem is this thread was about his writing, not handbags at dawn with horseshit and Roger love thrown in for good measure. He definitely has a skill there. I mean its a bit 6th form angstish but the words run well and the message comes through loud and clear but I can't see any integrity which is why I think it should only be analysed in the same way one might analyse a Bjork and Benny song.

If you're gonna stalk then do it properly please. To my knowledge I possess no solo Waters shows except Tapeheads vid because I thought the Comfortably Numb wall explosion was cool and the filming was supreme in its quality and dedication from Tapehead. That bit is cool but the rest is well..... a handbag full of horsehit (AHFOHS).... perhaps? If I did download any others it was a sad mistake and they've been long since deleted... but you can't beat Pink Floyd.
    get back under ye' bridge lad

Thanks
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 95 Posts

Roger Waters....One of the greatest lyricists in rock n roll....angry or happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManFree View Post
    I Kinda agree with Barney, Roger is no longer "The Angry Young Man"
    But He still makes Lots of Money from pretending He is.
    Having said that, Wouldn`t You?
    I think thats what he's selling at the moment and no I wouldn't which is incredibly hard to believe in these dark and cutthroat years. Theres only so much a sane human being can need. What would I do? Recline on a chaise longue and be fed grapes by large breasted long legged fat arsed concubines all day? I'd probably be able to stick it for a few weeks (months maybe ) and then I'd probably turn into Andrew Lloyd Waters.

Regardless of what he's saying I see and hear an angry old geezer honed in the skill of hiding it. Maybe he's gone deaf dumb and blind and just keeps on pretending he's playing tiny intimate venues these days.... folderol?
    Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; 07-02-2012 at 12:34 AM.