Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: characters of a similar vein (Floyd catalog 1968-83?)

Cymbaline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sydzappa View Post
    Sticks a chance as,as we know, some of the Final Cut material was salvaged from the Wall sessions,after Bob Ezrin streamlined the plotline(s.)( A wise move,I think,as the story is about Pink's gradual self imposed isolation and including The Teacher's back story would have resulted in too much plot,which is what marred Radio Kaos,in my humble.)In fact,Roger has said somewhere that a couple of the songs are from the Teacher's perspective.
    If not actual characters,there are certainly themes in Roger's lyrics:
    War:Corporal Clegg,Free Four,Us And Them,The Wall,Final Cut...
    Music Biz:Cymbaline,Free Four,parts of Dark Side,Wish You Were Here,The Wall...
    Dreams:Julia Dream,Cymbaline,Pros and Cons....
    Pretty obvious why the first two,but I thought it very interesting to hear in a recent interview that Roger used to dream that he had killed his father.
    Roger obviously had troubles,and this came out in his writing,there's a fair chance it affected his dreams.
    Since the split with the rest of Floyd,he has undergone therapy,dealt with his demons,and has had the balls to admit his faults,make amends and build bridges.
    If he now goes out on tour,playing the music that people want to see him play,and make a stash, good for him....I might not be lucky enough to be a professional musician,but I think I get paid a fair wage for the job I do,I guess he does too.
    Best reply/post of this thread series, and honestly, one of the few that relates to my original topic. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
    I appreciate the option and ability to interpret Roger and his lyrics my way. I was curious if anybody else saw the string of characters that made up most of Roger's lyrical content.
    I have to agree, I'm not listening to Animals, Wall, DS, etc thinking in terms of Roger (or the others) circa 2012, I'm mostly blending them with my personal issues, old and new. And more importantly, enjoying the music as a whole...
    Besides, would you honestly expect some beebop, poppy happy bullshit lyric to accompany the moody work of Gilmour and Wright?
    Last edited by Cymbaline; 07-02-2012 at 09:32 PM.

The cool dusty air of the city boardroom.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cymbaline View Post
    Besides, would you honestly expect some beebop, poppy happy bullshit lyric to accompany the moody work of Gilmour and Wright?
    let's face it, San Tropez, while a good song, will never match up to the brilliance of Nobody Home or Us And Them.

Cymbaline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Drsalvador View Post
    let's face it, San Tropez, while a good song, will never match up to the brilliance of Nobody Home or Us And Them.
    Precisely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sydzappa View Post
    Sticks a chance as,as we know, some of the Final Cut material was salvaged from the Wall sessions,after Bob Ezrin streamlined the plotline(s.)( A wise move,I think,as the story is about Pink's gradual self imposed isolation and including The Teacher's back story would have resulted in too much plot,which is what marred Radio Kaos,in my humble.)In fact,Roger has said somewhere that a couple of the songs are from the Teacher's perspective.
    If not actual characters,there are certainly themes in Roger's lyrics:
    War:Corporal Clegg,Free Four,Us And Them,The Wall,Final Cut...
    Music Biz:Cymbaline,Free Four,parts of Dark Side,Wish You Were Here,The Wall...
    Dreams:Julia Dream,Cymbaline,Pros and Cons....
    Pretty obvious why the first two,but I thought it very interesting to hear in a recent interview that Roger used to dream that he had killed his father.
    Roger obviously had troubles,and this came out in his writing,there's a fair chance it affected his dreams.
    Since the split with the rest of Floyd,he has undergone therapy,dealt with his demons,and has had the balls to admit his faults,make amends and build bridges.
    If he now goes out on tour,playing the music that people want to see him play,and make a stash, good for him....I might not be lucky enough to be a professional musician,but I think I get paid a fair wage for the job I do,I guess he does too.
    I agree on all of your points. Roger totally has the right to go out and play whatever the hell he wants. He has an audience and I, for one am glad to have seen him 4 times since 1999. Call him what you may, but musicians make a living playing music. And hell, what he is doing with The Wall these days is anything but lazy... It would be much easier to stay home and let royalties pile up. Back to the topic of this thread (sorry this got hijacked Cymbaline!):

I would add to you group of song types "Communication". Echoes, Radio Kaos, Each Small Candle, parts of Amused to Death, Is there anybody out there, Us and Them, If.

Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Comfortably Numb have always seemed linked to me, as far as the lyric goes anyway. While in Stethoscope, music seems to be a source of salvation to the character, in Comfortably Numb it is the root source of the character's collapse. Specifically the professional side of being a musician. Stethoscope is like the character's summer of love or period of awakening and Comfortably numb is like the character's psychedelic winter. Maybe I have read way too much into it though... There's also the character of the doctor involved in those two songs and the doctor, to me anyway, is more than a guy in a lab coat... the middle man between life and death, at first inspiring but later a burden and a personification of the main character's disillusionment regarding this whole rock and roll (or artistic) career path.

And now everyone thinks i'm nuts... moving along...
    Last edited by Lennyif; 07-03-2012 at 03:30 AM.

BarneyMcGrew Guest

While pondering this thread and exactly what Roger Water's writing tries to convey through its themes and "characters" (in quotes because all the characters are simply a Roger philosophy, unlike Peter Gabriel characters for instance) the perfect descriptive phrase for what Roger is came to mind which I know you would all love me to share with you :

Mental Guru.

(Special thanks to Rogers old management team mate the late and exceptionally great Marc Bolan).

at home in wolverhampton u.k or in a tent up a mountain or sumsuch.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    I agree on all of your points. Roger totally has the right to go out and play whatever the hell he wants. He has an audience and I, for one am glad to have seen him 4 times since 1999. Call him what you may, but musicians make a living playing music. And hell, what he is doing with The Wall these days is anything but lazy... It would be much easier to stay home and let royalties pile up. Back to the topic of this thread (sorry this got hijacked Cymbaline!):

I would add to you group of song types "Communication". Echoes, Radio Kaos, Each Small Candle, parts of Amused to Death, Is there anybody out there, Us and Them, If.

Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Comfortably Numb have always seemed linked to me, as far as the lyric goes anyway. While in Stethoscope, music seems to be a source of salvation to the character, in Comfortably Numb it is the root source of the character's collapse. Specifically the professional side of being a musician. Stethoscope is like the character's summer of love or period of awakening and Comfortably numb is like the character's psychedelic winter. Maybe I have read way too much into it though... There's also the character of the doctor involved in those two songs and the doctor, to me anyway, is more than a guy in a lab coat... the middle man between life and death, at first inspiring but later a burden and a personification of the main character's disillusionment regarding this whole rock and roll (or artistic) career path.

And now everyone thinks i'm nuts... moving along...
    I've often wondered if those two were inspired by the same childhood illness,but my thoughts went no further than that.It irks somewhat that there has been no interview/book based around the development of Roger's writing, particularly about the pre-Dark Side stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 52 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Alan smithee View Post
    Grotesque..I've been meaning to ask you...From what concert did you get this quote -

'Stop the tape deck Andy. Thank you. Can you hear me? Normally we'd go straight on at that point but I though i'd just stop to have a word with this **** over here with his firework. And tell him that there are 15,000 of us in here who think he's a complete prick! -and to ask you if you see anyone else with fireworks to point them out to the ushers so they can be thrown out. And on that happy note, we'll do 'Have A Cigar

I've been checking my archives and can't find it.
    Hi Alan, sorry for the delay, only saw your post today! And have now spent the last 5 hours trying to find the answer! At last, on page 17 out of 20 pages of posts I've made :shut: I find that }{eywood drew my attention to it, here:

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=32

He says further down Waters at Meadowlands, East Rutherford NJ in '84 but I can't remember whether it's 20th or 21st July '84... will dig out CD's later mayhap.

Cymbaline Guest

some of the banter on the Town Hall bit with Roger seems to have some relevance here... though I didn't hear anybody ask the question "who were all these downtrodden songs directed at?"

Lennyif, no worries.

Thanks

Town hall bit?