Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: grolsch - Rolf - Ossi is gone

Thanks

I was lucky enough to meet Rolf quite a few times - all totally unplanned. The last one was in London 2007 at a RW gig. We sat right across the aisle from each other, by complete chance.

He also recorded the 2007-05-10 Barbican show the same weekend.

He was such a nice guy.

Thanks

Default Oh no

I just got the call from Ken G. I met Grolsch/Rolf when Ken, his family, and I arrived to stay with him and his brother for the Berlin Wall show in July 1990. What an amazing event and an amazing, and amazingly generous and kind, and crazed man. I loved him. I'd seen him a couple times in the interim and always stayed in touch. I took my family to Dortmund at his invitation last May to see Rog do the Wall in Dusseldorf. He got us 4th row seats and premium parking so I brought my DSLR in. We stayed with him for a few days, baked some tapes, drank copious amounts of beer and wine. It was a completely amazing time. I'm devastated.

He was one of a kind. A great breadth of skills, knowledge, humor, and general Goodness. We'll miss ye, Rolf.

terrapin Guest

So much to say about our dear friend Rolf. The first time I met Rolf in person (we had already been trading tapes through the mail during the early '80s) we were sitting with him at the Oakland KAOS show, but only for a short while. Unfortunately I drained a bottle of some really clean liquid L and had a meltdown, so that by the end of the first set I was in the medical booth until the end (fortunately we flew to Vancouver so I still saw KAOS!) Later he talked us into coming to Berlin in 1990, getting our tickets and letting us stay at his brother's nearby -- an experience beyond unforgettable. We had our three kids at the show and they always thought of him as their very funny semi-nut-case uncle. Rolf was with us again in 2000 for Rog in LA, Irvine and Shoreline. We didn't see him after that until 2011, when he sent us $5000 as a gift to come meet him in London at the o2, where we saw all six nights including my birthday (thank you, Rolf!) Our daughter Cerrithwen was there as well, and asked me why he talked to himself and cheered all the way through the show when he was recording at the same time! Later he put HER up later in Germany, providing a hotel room and VIP tickets for Berlin and Dusseldorf. He was a great friend and arguably the biggest Pink Floyd freak on planet earth (largest collection, in any case) -- and only 54 years old from my calculations. The news is beyond belief, and at times like these we can only be so very thankful about all the great times we had together. Rest in peace, Ossi! Ken G.

gaobest Guest

Wow what a shock. Thanks to Mike/Ken for letting me know. I had planned to visit Rolf in January... recently emailed to ask him about a time frame. He first told me about being ill in September when I was in Paris with family, as he had planned to meet us.

I first met Rolf in 1994 and had the fortune to spend a couple of days with him every February (up to 2009), as I exhibited at a trade show in South Germany every year. I'd visit him and then go on to visit other friends that I also knew because of music ROIO/obsession...

It was thanks to Chris N (who I met in 1991/1992/1993), because he's the one who gave me Rolf's address in the first place...

Rolf even attended my wedding in Italy in 2006, which was the same weekend as a wedding in the Black Forest - what a trooper he was, going from Germany to Switzerland to Roma, then a train to Firenze, then a bus to Greve...

I will be forever grateful for our friendship. Even before our wedding he was like family to me.

Michael

Thanks

My warmest condolences to his family and friends.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,683 Times in 109 Posts

OMG.. this is sad news indeed

condolances to all his beloved

Thanks

I liked Rolf so very much. I canŽt believe IŽll never get one of his insane Christmas cards again.

Thanks

Very sad new indeed...

My condoleances to the family and friends...

Rest in peace, Grolsch...
    Fearlessly, the idiot faced the crowd...

Smiling...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,109 Times in 95 Posts

I will always remember him for his generosity, spirit, and integral contributions to the Floyd community.

Here's hoping he is front row center at a great gig in the sky.
    ~ Atlas Is Vomiting ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaobest View Post

Rolf even attended my wedding in Italy in 2006, which was the same weekend as a wedding in the Black Forest - what a trooper he was, going from Germany to Switzerland to Roma, then a train to Firenze, then a bus to Greve...

Michael
    Haha! That was YOUR wedding, eh? I recall hearing about that epic trip from Rolf!