Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band tape is due to be officially released

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    Had a listen to the samples and I would say "not bad" ... I would certainly listen to this album (sometimes), but I agree with others that it's really for Barrett completists only.
    Wow. They didn't even choose the best samples. Boo. The intro to "Number Nine" is just a warm-up. Fred Frith is a guitar genius in his own right. Him jamming with Syd, not to mention Twink said Syd's playing had matured around that time. Completest, my ass. I read a review from a certain Alexander who says Syd dominates the songs. Wait until the entire recording shows up until reserving judgment.

A big thanks to my friend and Punjabi brother Warren Dosanjh who sent me the Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band CD (I had to look three times on the cover to write that correctly).

Of course, the sound and recording quality is not the best, but not as bad as I feared. It is much better than the 1967 live recordings we have of the early Pink Floyd. The main members Jack Monck and Twink do a great job in all songs, no doubt. The singer, Bruce Michael Paine, makes some of the songs sound like a special performance of Uriah Heep or Steamhammer (obviously). The track listing is a collection of late fifties or early sixties blues / rock 'n' roll / boogie tunes and a little bit of early seventies hard rock as well.

I can only hear two guitars.

I hear the perfection of Fred Frith in the first four songs and again in track 8 and 9, Im not so sure of #8 though. Frith is nearly a perfect guitarist and can almost play nearly everything, nearly (lol)!

I definitively hear Syd Barrett in tracks 5 to 7. But he is not there for just a little bit, he is almost dominating the songs. He is strong and good and Im sure he had practised a lot before, probably at home. Syd doesn't has the perfection of Frith but he is full of ideas and he is able to play parts that others cant play or that others have not the craziness to play these parts. But at other times he plays conventionally and fits in perfectly with the songs structures.

All in all this is much more than I had expected. I only listened to it once, but I didn't want to withhold you of my opinion.

A last word. How we look at the quality of the performed songs has got a lot to do with our viewpoints of today. Today we are spoiled by good concerts and good audio productions, but I'm sure we would all have been very happy to be there on the 27th of January 1972 in the Cambridge Corn Exchange!

Perhaps my expectations were so low that I sound a little bit too enthusiast now. But I am surprised by Syds guitar playing. I never thought that he was in such a good shape as a guitar player. This lets me believe that Twink is right and that the Stars concerts were far better than what was written later by people who weren't there.
    - See more at: http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/201....toLbE7hP.dpuf
    Last edited by psychedelicpiper; 2014-06-09 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 45 Posts

I got my copy from Amazon today. I must admit that musically I like it and there is an interesting progression between Interstellar and his '74 guitar pieces ('Chugga Chugga Chug Chug' etc) that is worth hearing. Qualitywise I'd like to hear a raw version. It is clumsily denoised to my ears and there is quite a bit of damage in places. If it were a bootleg I'd have been thrilled. If you're familiar with some of the Soft Machine Voiceprint releases (Middle Earth and Turns On) it's like that but with more tape damage in places!

I'm pleased it's out though. Better than another remaster of already circulating material

Thanks

It's good to see my name dropped here from time to time

...expect a review of the record today at the Holy Church of Iggy and for those who are still wondering if this release needs to be added to their Floydian collection, Number Nine is as spectacular as early Interstellar or later Rhamadan. Drinking That Wine is an earworm you can't get out your head and Gotta Be Reason, uhm, a typical power blues construction as was often played in those days (cfr. Led Zep, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple...).

The performance is muddy and sloppy at places, but they seemed to have good fun.
    Last edited by Felix Atagong; 2014-06-21 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,869 Times in 326 Posts

Received my copy today.

Can confirm, like Felix, the muddy and sloopy performance at places. Sound quality is at max average - sometimes very distorted at higher volume levels combined with a lot of resonances. Quality is more situated in the 60s than 70s imho. However, for an 1972 bootleg I would tend to be satisfied if it was one...

Most songs are the typical Power Bluesrock pieces for that time. "DrinkinThat Wine" is fine, but I need a lot of imagination to hear anything from Syd here. "Number Nine" is much more "syddy" and would have been an wonderful follower for "Interstellar Overdrive", i. e. as starting song on "A Saucerful Of Secrets"... (ehm, I can dream sometimes). "Gotta Be a Reason" has the typical Power Blues vocals but combined with an crazy Syd guitar you wont hear on this kind of pieces back there normally - love it!

All in all Im really lucky that Ive ordered it - even for "Number Nine" and "Gotta Be a Reason" alone it was worth the "price". Still Im not the typically "hi-fi" and "all-surround" listener till today though, so maybe I can more easily accept the sound quality here.

Thanks again to hallucalation for starting this thread and let us all know that this is going to be released!
    "Im full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 76 Posts

Not available in my country

Thanks
    Thanked 1,730 Times in 74 Posts

Thankyou lovely to hear this

Thanks

Having been to Cambridge Corn Exchange on a number of occasions in this timeframe (I may have been at this particular gig)
    I do remember it being as cavernous a place as it`s name implies, a huge white building, that never seemed to be full, and only one in/out!
    H & S would shut it down for sure these days! Of course, memory plays tricks, when "Chemicals" are in the equasion, so I could be wrong!

Thanks

Sorry to spam this place, but I just upload a review of this album: http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/201...ast-stand.html
    I even took the liberty of quoting some of the people on this thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,869 Times in 326 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Felix Atagong View Post
    Sorry to spam this place, but I just upload a review of this album: http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/201...ast-stand.html
    I even took the liberty of quoting some of the people on this thread.
    Thanks Felix - great analysis - can support most of it!
    "Im full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)