View Poll Results: What does our Y! community declare of THE ENDLESS RIVER's quality?

Voters
442. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sublime

190 42.99%
  • Pretty Good - Better Than Expected

135 30.54%
  • Meh

78 17.65%
  • Rubbish

39 8.82%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Rating THE ENDLESS RIVER

Thanks
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 217 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pottel View Post
    from people that are stuck in another era.
    Pink Floyd is / was from another era! Haven´t you realized this fact till today really?

Btw you rate the album here but will hear it at the 15th earliest like you mentioned before. What a consistence and truthfulness... You are a shining light indeed!
    Last edited by Cyberspace; 11-09-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks

It's a masterpiece to me, I never thought they could put out an album this good and this unique I was very surprised by it and I'm very happy they made this album.

Thanks

I've listened to it 5 times now and I still think that a better album title would have been 'The Endless Soundcheck..'
    Pink Floyd The Wall: June 13th 1981 London
    Pink Floyd: June 14th 1988 Rotterdam
    Pink Floyd: September 4th 1994 Rotterdam
    Roger Waters: May 15th 2002 Rotterdam
    Roger Waters: June 10th 2006 Lichtenvoorde
    Roger Waters: July 7th 2006 Rotterdam
    Roger Waters: May 5th 2007 Arnhem
    Roger Waters: May 11th 2008 Landgraaf
    RW The Wall: April 8th 2011 Arnhem
    RW The Wall: May 28th 2011 Antwerpen
    RW The Wall: July 18th 2013 Arnhem
    RW The Wall: September 8th 2013 Amsterdam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    It's a masterpiece to me, I never thought they could put out an album this good and this unique I was very surprised by it and I'm very happy they made this album.
    Couldn't agree more, exactly my feelings ...

Thanks

I...ah.. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but every time it finishes, I start it again.

I'm so glad they put this out. It's not commercial per se, and for the first time in 30 years they're not trying too hard. It's not all good, but some parts are great, and overall I really like it.

Highlight: Track 4: Sum. Made my hair stand up.

Low point: Track 7: Anisina. predictable and annoying. As bad as Dogs of War/Great Day For Freedom. BLECH.

Overall - interesting. Emotional, because Rick is gone. I'm pleased.

Thanks

I like it. I prefer it to all the other post Waters albums. I hear nods to many other Floyd eras - even an Ummagumma moment. I also hear early moments of the Div Bell - which you would expect, but these seem to be like the starting points for some of the DB songs which went onto something else. I like thats its mostly instrumental, works well and lets the imagination fly. Enjoy.

Thanks

The Endless River - Music majesty at its finest. Take a refreshing dip, you won't regret it! Better yet, totally immerse yourself. It WILL take your breath away. Rest assured, you will breathe again, forever and a day. Your spirit renewed and cleansed. Remember a day before today, a day when you were young, as Rick once sang. Reaquaint yourself with your soul as you float through time and space. There is more energy condensed in this creation than you will find in black holes in the sky. Strangers, painters, martyrs, and mates unite for one last run. This soundscape masterpiece is a wonderful tribute to Richard Wright, a brilliant musician, while evoking memories of Syd's sonic exploration and whimsical ways from days long passed. David and Nick's (et al.) time on Astoria was time well spent.

If this music doesn't help you to reflect on the endless ebb and flow of life, then you've truly lost your oar. While a river might flow in one direction, from the first opening note, your vessle will have lost its rudder, both oars floating far away beyond concern. By the end, your spirit will need a GPS or GOD in order to return you to this Earthly plane. You can bet that you will see Richard and Roger Barrett shinning through a mist of dry ice as they guide you gently home. A distant ship smoke on the horizon, indeed.
    While the curtain calls and encores might well be over. The dry ice falling from the stage more gently than Steven Tyler - evaporated. This is a heartfelt final bow from a truly great band that will forever stand the test of Time.

At one point, I got lost in thought. A portion of one song had me reaching for the emergency stop rope on the PATH train running under New York's Hudson River. David's guitar and Rick's synths sounded like the subway was sailing off the rails, screeching and sparking beneathe falling girders of ash and steel. Very strange in a 9-11 sort of way - humanity, religion, and all. The album starts with quiet Rick speaking while the music in this first piece evokes a Waters-esque landscape in the middle east.

The wisdom of retrospect is the ability to look back and trace the pattern of the Floyd’s leading in the life, to view the past with the advantage of a mind no longer limited to the immediate present, a mind that has gained by experience, the process of trial, and has seen the end of the Floyd. (end = achievement). Time immemorial. Sublime.

PINK FLOYD.

?

-THE END -
    "Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?"

Thanks

Isn't this where we came in?

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.”

― William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.

--Stephen Hawking

Pink Floyd.
    "Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 91 Posts

Welll, I just got it and put it on...

I'm not totally underwhemed by it, which was what I feared, but neither am I overwhelmed. As a mostly instrumental piece it's quite 'nice' with the volume cranked up and chilling out with it. There's nothing that immediately grabs my ears but, I suspect the more I play it, the more appreciative I'd be of the work that's gone into producing it. Worth a few more replays at least before it's consigned to the shelves

My 2p worth.

As for the poll - I've made a few tweaks and made voting anonymous - will merge all relevant TER threads into this one as this will be the main TER discussion thread for the foreseeable future.

T.
    Last edited by tjmack; 11-11-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks

Since this is the permanent thread to discuss our thoughts on what we think of the new album now that it's out and we've had a chance to listen to it, I'm re-posting my post from yesterday on the now closed pre-release thread.

Hopefully without sounding too saccharine or trite...

Now that I've listened to the album for a second time to truly start to understand it, these are my thoughts;

This is thankfully a typically fully thought out and realized album by Dave and Nick. I was scared up until my first listening that it would be worse than DB or AMLOR. Those as you can imagine are not my favorite Floyd albums.

The Endless River doesn't even compare in quality. Quality of emotion being the big difference. Emotion is what all great albums have.

What I get from this album, again without trying to be trite, is louder than words.

There is so much emotion coming from this album. Which for those of us who live and breathe music, whether listening or playing our own instruments, we consider music emotion. The music and emotion coming through on this album is louder than words. But also don't underestimate the quality of the words in the song Louder Than Words.

I also feel that one track with words is a great song and the only song that could end this album.

Dave and Nick are saying with this album thank you not only to Richard Wright, but to us fans as well. They're saying with the music so long and thank you for letting us create this art of ours and thank you for appreciating us and our music. They're saying the connection they have with each other and with us because of the music is louder than words.

The joy that this band has brought us and the joy and love between the band members is louder than words.

So they're saying goodbye to us and are satisfied that their music will live on after they've followed Rick into the next phase.

For the Endless River, and the last 34 years of endless pleasure Pink Floyd have given me, I only have endless thanks.

(A very small regret that somehow Mr. Waters couldn't be involved. But he's a little too preoccupied with divisiveness right now and probably can't relate to what the other two boys have accomplished here.)
    Last edited by darryll; 11-11-2014 at 07:15 PM.

May the Floyd Be With You!