View Poll Results: What does our Y! community declare of THE ENDLESS RIVER's quality?

Voters
442. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sublime

190 42.99%
  • Pretty Good - Better Than Expected

135 30.54%
  • Meh

78 17.65%
  • Rubbish

39 8.82%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Rating THE ENDLESS RIVER

Thanks

Yep I agree this album has a lot of raw emotion which is amazing considering how the album was compiled. It is a very focused emotionally strong album and a really proud way to leave the band.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 189 Posts

jeezes cyberspace, get a grip.
    i ordered it through amazon, and as you may or may not know, amazon rips all the cd's and lp's you order there automatically, and puts it in your amazon music library, accesible from e.g. a kindle device.
    the temptation was too big so i succumbed.
    on the other topic, my god, i am VERY well aware that pink floyd started in an other era, but you'd be ignorant in persisting that they are still there.
    with and/or withour Roger, the music has evolved, into many different era's throughout the years.
    i just get a rash from those fans that claim that only old floyd is good floyd. get rid of the eye caps and look in both directions.
    and as to the shining light statement, not sure why that as necesarry.
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen......YESSSSSSS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 85 Posts

Default Quality of what?

Quote Originally Posted by pickard11 View Post
    If you don't even like ANY of it then you cannot be a Floyd fan
    I'm sure, many of the "Rubbish" and "Meh" pollers like this material basically, simply because
    it's based on outtakes from TDB. So, if you like TDB, this material is an interesting add-on.

I think the problem is the title of this poll, it should be more exact about the term "Quality".

For example:

Quality of a worthy "Final Pink Floyd Album"?

Quality of "Sound"?

Quality of "Composition"?

etc.
    Last edited by Pittylabelle; 11-12-2014 at 01:27 AM.
    Hey Sandman - wish you where here!

Thanks

Default More thoughts after a few more listens.

It is a grower, even "Anisina", which annoyed me at first, has improved on repeated listens.

My only complaint, and this is a mild complaint, is that Rick's playing is tentative. There's nothing that could be done about that. It's not like they can dig him up and have him re-record the fills and all-too-brief solos with confidence.

Again, I am so happy they released this. Were I to replace my least favorite tracks from TDB with my favorite cycles from this album, In my view we would have a classic PF album that would stand up to any and everything in their catalogue.

With what we have and what was actually possible, it sits right in the middle of the pack. Loved, but not exactly a Desert Island Disc. Behind Animals, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle, but on par with More, Obscured By Clouds, The Final Cut, and the The Wall. Ahead of Saucerful, Piper, AHM, A Momentary Lapse, and The Division Bell.

Thanks

Default Not really "endless", it just seems that way...

I've now heard this thing uninterrupted all the way through - the only truly fair way to consume any new block of music, I believe - ten times in a bit less than two days. For the record, I really, really wanted to like it, for a whole lot of reasons.

The bad news? It isn't very good. The good news? It isn't as bad as "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", and it's probably, on balance, better than "The Division Bell" (strictly due to the near-total absence of embarrassingly poor lyrics - more about that later). And although it isn't nearly as horrible as some of today's rather obvious I'd-just-be-shooting-fish-in-a-barrel artificial pop music targets, it's still unnervingly weak. Remember, this is Pink Floyd we're talking about here.

For all those here who have acclaimed this release as "a masterpiece" or some other wild superlative, I have to say, sentimentality & nostalgia aside, I just don't get your enthusiasm. What's here, what's being passed off as a "new" Pink Floyd album, is actually far less musically adventurous than the More Soundtrack, less engaging than The Valley soundtrack, and less interesting overall than what we have of the Zabriskie Point sessions. And although all three of those early movie-music projects have a lot to recommend them, very few of us would cite any of those three, as complete albums, as being among the absolute best material that any incarnation of Pink Floyd ever recorded. So why is this stream of stitched-together twenty-year-old leftovers getting so much adulation here?

The thing isn't even remotely cohesive. It starts, it stops, it falters, it re-starts. It goes absolutely nowhere. It vaguely promises, but never delivers. No idea or theme is ever fully developed. Not only is no new ground broken, old ground that has already been strip-mined past the bedrock is re-dug and offered up yet again. Slowed down versions of previously available late period "rarities"? You got 'em! Signs of Life/Castelorizon parts II...and III...and IV - here they are! Some have claimed that this song cycle recalls the experimental '68-'70 period Floyd, but that's just silly. "Experimental" does not mean "a feeble attempt to recreate some of the musically naïve (but truly wonderful) bits you did a long time ago". "Avant-garde" doesn't mean "going back and repeating stuff you already did forty-five years ago". But, for those who persevere through until the end, the final reward is even worse. The only actual "song" on the album is a real stinker, a genuine crapnugget, complete with cringe-worthy lyrics and more overly familiar tropes.

And yet, I can't find it in my heart to hate it. Yes, of course it's disappointing to hear a group of this stature bow out with this sort of a whimper, and not with a bang. But the franchise has been running on empty for a very long time now, and I guess it's time they had a rest. This CD is that rest.

I've been listening to this band since back when it was actually a band. I saw them in '75 (Hamilton), and again in '77 (Montreal). I really, really wish that Mr. Gilmour & company had done more, musically & artistically, with the brand name they fought so hard to retain. They didn't, though, and now it's just too late. The legacy deserved better, I think, but as sad and unfortunate as this release is, I'll probably listen to it again late on another cold November night...and wonder about what could have been...

Thanks

i am not a frequent poster to these here forums but i felt the need to in regards to this momentous occasion; a new pink floyd record. i am a huge fan, i love pretty much everything they have released and even their weaker stuff is still miles ahead of most other band's work past or present. the endless river to me is a fitting end to an amazing recording career. i love it. it's emotional, intimate, subtle, creative, and many other things that all fit well into the floyd vernacular. i was shocked when i heard it was being released and i tried to keep my expectations low in the sense that it was being called an ambient album. i didn't want to expect full songs or anything like the division bell. what we got was a complete piece of music that flows from start to finish. there isn't a bad or a boring moment. it is everything floyd was. it has richard wright's flavor and style, gilmour's sublime guitars, sense of melody and nick's perfect for floyd drumming. i really can't say enough good things about it. maybe i'm drunk with floyd but i have listened to it about 10 times since saturday and i'm still loving it.

and i've read some people on other sites claiming its a cash grab... really now? you think they need money?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhibes View Post
    It is a grower, even "Anisina", which annoyed me at first, has improved on repeated listens.

My only complaint, and this is a mild complaint, is that Rick's playing is tentative. There's nothing that could be done about that. It's not like they can dig him up and have him re-record the fills and all-too-brief solos with confidence.

Again, I am so happy they released this. Were I to replace my least favorite tracks from TDB with my favorite cycles from this album, In my view we would have a classic PF album that would stand up to any and everything in their catalogue.

With what we have and what was actually possible, it sits right in the middle of the pack. Loved, but not exactly a Desert Island Disc. Behind Animals, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle, but on par with More, Obscured By Clouds, The Final Cut, and the The Wall. Ahead of Saucerful, Piper, AHM, A Momentary Lapse, and The Division Bell.
    Definitely is a "Grower".

Although though, "Anisna" starts of pretty well, but once the sax starts it gets on ma diddies...

Did anyone else have a momentary occurrence of resonance when they heard Rick's (presumably) world-weary voice recording on "Things Left Unsaid" with "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" on AtD?

Thanks

I voted sublime and I don't have much to add to what's been said. I will say that this is the kind of album I have always wanted to hear by the band. This is really beautiful, odd, interesting, and compelling. In my opinion, it's the most "Pink Floyd" sounding album the band has ever put out. The SOUL of what makes them who they are is really the focus here. What a beautiful thing. Just go out and buy it. If you like Floyd at all you will enjoy this a great deal, I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 91 Posts

Vinyl and BluRay releases delayed in Australia but I have heard some tracks I Like very much what I have heard so far...
    I found this picture from youtube and then google image searched to find website
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

If you haven't seen it yet:

The official Youtube channel just posted a music video for "Louder Than Words."

Quote Originally Posted by FransT View Post
    I've listened to it 5 times now and I still think that a better album title would have been 'The Endless Soundcheck..'
    My nickname for it is "A Collection Of Great Song Intros." So many of the tracks sound like a slowly building into to some song, only to end and start the process again with another intro.