Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short clip from Brighton nightclub 1967 ???

Thanks

Default Short clip from Brighton nightclub 1967 ???

I've just been alerted to this video clip that features what sounds very much like Pink Floyd.

I'm told it's from the short film "Promenade" (released 1968)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290269/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_6

Unfortunately you only get the very briefest of glimpses of the band, but listen to the audio, that's definitely PF, right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzycbTsqPs

A longer portion of the film can be seen here. It's silent but with a slightly fainter watermark, it might be useful for getting a better look at the extremely brief band shots. Skip to near the end for the nightclub scene.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIrEv78Bo8
    Last edited by Kaiten_Mokuba; 2015-07-06 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks

Very interesting! First off, I think it's going at the wrong speed -- about a semitone too fast, which often happens with film > PAL transfers. Here's a quickie correction that also drops the dead channel (attached).

The thing that makes me most strongly suspect it is the Floyd (and I think it is) is the bass. That's a Waters lick we start hearing at about 0:30, isn't it? Can't quite place the song but it sounds familiar.

Post-speed-correction it's some kind of a jam in A, but there are chord changes to E, G and especially D, as well as an edit that throws things off. Maybe an extended version of Arnold Layne?

The Floyd played multiple gigs in Brighton that year, and the Pink Jungle had setlists for a few of them:

11.02.67 University of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, England
    (With The Alan Bown Set, The Wishful Thinking and Russell's Clump)

15.04.67 Kinetic Arena, Main Ballroom, West Pier, Brighton, E.Sussex, England
    Candy And A Currant Bun, Astronomy Dominé, Matilda Mother, Pow R Toc H, Interstellar Overdrive, Lucifer Sam

06.10.67 Top Rank Suite, Brighton, E.Sussex, England
    ("Miss Teenage Brighton Contest")
    Set list included: Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Astronomy Dominé, Matilda Mother

02.12.67 The Dome, Brighton, E.Sussex, England
    (Two shows at 18:15 and 20:40)
    Set list late show: Astronomy Dominé, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, Interstellar Overdrive
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Isn't that Waters lick from the later half of Take up thy Stethoscope?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjy View Post
    Isn't that Waters lick from the later half of Take up thy Stethoscope?
    You're absolutely right! I knew I recognized it, but only looked at known live songs. That clinches it, this is 100% Floyd. You can really hear it starting around 1:00.

That part of Stethoscope is in E, while this excerpt is in A (assuming my speed correction is correct) -- but if Waters just plays the Stethoscope lick on higher strings (up a fourth), you'll get exactly what you hear here.

Whether it's the first-ever known live recording of Stethoscope, or Waters is just reusing the lick (which he did sometimes) for another unidentified song, this is a hell of a nice find! Can the venue be ID'd from any of the shots?
    Last edited by goldenband; 2015-07-06 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 74 Posts

Talking

Wow this is fantastic Kaiten_Mokuba Thank You

I can see Rick and I think Syd in the pictures.

Amazing to have more live 60's floyd surface a great day.

Could the audio be Lucifer Sam??
    Last edited by CCE338; 2015-07-06 at 06:40 AM.

Thanks

I rarely, if ever post on here, but this video got me so excited that I had to express my gratitude! Thank you for sharing this wonderful clip.

I believe this to most definetly be Pink Floyd jamming out to Reaction in G.

Either way, great find!

-Giuliano

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 27 Posts

Sounds Floyd to me as well. Odd thing is that people are dressed quite formal and that poster 'how sweet it is to be loved by you, Yeah'. Some strange wedding reception?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 74 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    11.02.67 University of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, England
    (With The Alan Bown Set, The Wishful Thinking and Russell's Clump)
    Could be University of Sussex is the venue?

The picture attached has revolving doors at the front!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

Either it's 15/4/67 K4 Festival (Kate O'Mara remembered the film being shot around the time of the Brighton Festival (May)) or October 6th 1967 - the "Miss Teen Brighton Contest" gig at Top Rank Suit.

Thanks

After listening again, I think it may be a jam on Arnold Layne. You can hear the trademark G > D > A chord progression at 0:50, followed by a fumbled (C) > G > D, and then they go back to A. Both chord progressions are mainly audible in Rick's organ.

It's as if they're playing the first half of the chorus ("Oh, Arnold Layne, it's not the same"), but then don't follow through with the second half. I don't hear an edit there, either. Maybe Syd wasn't following them? But the rest of the band seems to hit the chord changes together.